Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » You can RYO for under five bucks a carton

You can RYO for under five bucks a carton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2020, 08:38 PM

sheb1old1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation You can RYO for under five bucks a carton

I did it..after 40+ yrs smoking I was giving up a lot for my habit..getting 6 cartons a month at $360..I could be making a car payment or going on vacation every month. The prices are insane nowadays. Then after much research I realized I could buy a $52 five pound bag of tobacco & 10 boxes of tubes for $12. That's under fifty cents a pack. If it's dry use 8 oz at a time & moisten it however you like. I throw a piece of lettuce in it overnight & it doesn't have time to mold before I smoke it.

oh & this is Kentucky Select, Ohm, Cherokee, Good Stuff, Golden Harvest & Buoy in the 5 lb bags & Golden Harvest tubes

Last edited by sheb1old1; 06-18-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:53 PM

marlbororob89 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sheb1old1 View Post
I did it..after 40+ yrs smoking I was giving up a lot for my habit..getting 6 cartons a month at $360..I could be making a car payment or going on vacation every month. The prices are insane nowadays. Then after much research I realized I could buy a $52 five pound bag of tobacco & 10 boxes of tubes for $12. That's under fifty cents a pack. If it's dry use 8 oz at a time & moisten it however you like. I throw a piece of lettuce in it overnight & it doesn't have time to mold before I smoke it.

oh & this is Kentucky Select, Ohm, Cherokee, Good Stuff, Golden Harvest & Buoy in the 5 lb bags & Golden Harvest tubes
I don't RYO, but as someone who does accounting for a living, how much time does it take you to make all those?

There is the cost of your own time/labor and other things that you could be doing during that time that you are making all those cigs. Once you start to add up all those hours in a week/month/year, you also realize all the other things that you missed during the time that you were making cigs and I analyze production costs on a daily basis, so I'm very well knowledgeable in this area and someone posed a question like this several months ago and they mentioned all the money they would save doing RYO and then after talking with him, he realized he'd be stuck at home making cigs, when all his friends would be out doing other things or playing PS4/X-Box and he couldn't participate.

He quit doing RYO after a couple of bags, because the hidden cost of time cost him in other areas.

Just something to think about ....
Old 06-19-2020, 12:27 AM

sheb1old1 is an unknown quantity at this point

As I get older it seems that I have a lot of time. I need less sleep. I look at it as a hobby now..and I can multitask while I save a lot of money. Some may knit or crochet while they watch the news on TV..my hands will be increasing my income. Rolling 3 to 5 packs in a half hour to hour in my idle time of drinking that first cup of coffee & catching the weather in the morn..mind you I'm talking about a savings of over $300 a month. I have planned ahead and researched, taste tested and tested again...tho my math sure did suck as 1.89 x 10 is not 11.89 but 18.99 but I do admit I screwed that part up which ruins my whole topic of under $5.00 when in truth it would be $7.10. Did you happen to catch that...LOL..but still a bargain these days. I did ponder my accountability for my worth of time. I kindly thank you for your insight though. I should also mention I was driving 3 hours one way to get a bargain of $60 a carton x 6 out of state per month so I added the $25 in gas cost to make it approx. $64 per carton not including mileage & oil changes. Here a carton is $80.. Huge huge savings both in time & money now.

Last edited by sheb1old1; 06-19-2020 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:05 AM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by marlbororob89 View Post
I don't RYO, but as someone who does accounting for a living, how much time does it take you to make all those?

There is the cost of your own time/labor and other things that you could be doing during that time that you are making all those cigs. Once you start to add up all those hours in a week/month/year, you also realize all the other things that you missed during the time that you were making cigs and I analyze production costs on a daily basis, so I'm very well knowledgeable in this area and someone posed a question like this several months ago and they mentioned all the money they would save doing RYO and then after talking with him, he realized he'd be stuck at home making cigs, when all his friends would be out doing other things or playing PS4/X-Box and he couldn't participate.

He quit doing RYO after a couple of bags, because the hidden cost of time cost him in other areas.

I hope youíre kidding! It takes on average less than 5 minutes to make a pack of cigarettes and that includes a generous allocation of time for shredding and cleanup. Who among us is so busy and pressed for time that they canít find 5 minutes to save $5+? RYO is very cost effective and probably one of the cheapest and most satisfying hobbies a person can have.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:16 PM

EricSilstrom will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
I hope youíre kidding! It takes on average less than 5 minutes to make a pack of cigarettes and that includes a generous allocation of time for shredding and cleanup. Who among us is so busy and pressed for time that they canít find 5 minutes to save $5+? RYO is very cost effective and probably one of the cheapest and most satisfying hobbies a person can have.
Well, I have no interest in RYO, but, I think there are more than a few hobbies that are better than RYO - volunteering, helping others, taking the dog out for a walk, and of course the favorite one - a bad day of 4+ hours of golf is better than a good day of work.
Old 06-20-2020, 03:10 PM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by EricSilstrom View Post
Well, I have no interest in RYO, but, I think there are more than a few hobbies that are better than RYO - volunteering, helping others, taking the dog out for a walk, and of course the favorite one - a bad day of 4+ hours of golf is better than a good day of work.
I never considered watching the dog take a dump as a hobby. But it does sound better than golf!
Old 06-20-2020, 04:23 PM

EricSilstrom will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
I never considered watching the dog take a dump as a hobby. But it does sound better than golf!
7 words to make you change your mind about golf and it change the life of a prominent poster on this website - smoking hot beverage cart girl who smokes.

The user on here instantly became a smoker and he especially loves B&H cigarettes
Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

Originally Posted by marlbororob89 View Post

i'm not sure about the $5 per carton estimate as i believe he's referring to JustGoodTobacco's 5 lb bags of leaf tobacco - i also shred whole leaf and generally, after shredding a 16 oz bag of leaves, I have 11-12 oz of shredded tobacco left - most of the loss is due to stems pulled out of the leaf, and then some of the leaf is destroyed or crushed into dust in the shredding process.

and you're right there's a lot of time involved in stripping whole leaves, and then shredding and then stuffing.

But with bagged tobacco (ie already shredded), even with the most expensive (Gawith & Hoggarth) i get 2.5 to 2.6 cartons from a $50 bag (17.6 oz) of tobacco.

Somehwere on this forum is my calculations for shredding whole leaf - by the time it's shredded, a $17 16 oz bag of whole is, like i said earlier to 11-12 oz, and i think it worked out to $27 for whole leaf on an actual 16 oz price comparison.

But i still prefer shredding whole leaf as i get a better tobacco, that has not been adulterated with preservatives, flavorings, casings etc.

Last edited by larryccf; Yesterday at 05:53 PM.