Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > Questions, Comments & Suggestions » Will I be able to quit if I start dipping for a while?

Will I be able to quit if I start dipping for a while?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2019, 12:39 PM

Ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will I be able to quit if I start dipping for a while?

In November I will be going to Australia for a month which I am very excited about. I have never flown on such a long flight and to prevent me going crazy because I can’t smoke for almost 24 hours, I am thinking about starting to dip.
Will I be able to quit once I get back home or will I end up with another tobacco addiction on top of my addiction to smoking?
Old 09-10-2019, 12:57 PM

MarbSmkr is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends-- I smoke a pack of reds and been smoking for over 20 years, starting dipping around a year ago. I don't dip everyday, I sometimes have cravings for dip but nothing like my addiction to smoking, I need to smoke daily-- but dip is different for me but happy that I started it and added it to my habit.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Ben,
Why not use snus, or a nicotine patch or nicotine gum, and just for the flights to/from Australia? Another thing, try to take as many cigarettes with you as you can realistically expect to get through Australian customs. Prices will be very high in Australia (I hope you're not more than a ppd smoker).

Last edited by masklofumanto; 09-10-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:53 PM

KWSmoker is on a distinguished road

You could quit but you probably won't want to once you get used to it as part of your routine - I quit smoking several times because of the health issues which come with that territory, seven times altogether I think before I was successful - But, I missed the nicotine unbelievably - So a few years back I started dipping Copenhagen and Grizzly and from there moved to Swedish Snus which is my main go to - I enjoy dipping more than smoking and found it keeps me more satisfied and is much less intrusive during my daily schedule and routine - It is more deeply satisfying and the relaxed craving euphoria last much longer than a cigarette - It WILL keep you satisfied during the duration of your flight so stop worrying about that - And I would not consider it an additional addiction - It's the same addiction, its just that you will be satisfying it in a different way part of the time so if you do take it up and enjoy it, then incorporate it into your day along with smoking - I'll still smoke a few cigarettes when drinking but not every time - I urge you to give it an honest try.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
Ben,
Why not use snus, or a nicotine patch or nicotine gum, and just for the flights to/from Australia? Another thing, try to take as many cigarettes with you as you can realistically expect to get through Australian customs. Prices will be very high in Australia (I hope you're not more than a ppd smoker).
Yeah a work buddy already warned me about the price of cigarettes. That is why I thought dipping while in Australia would help me smoke less.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by KWSmoker View Post
And I would not consider it an additional addiction - It's the same addiction, its just that you will be satisfying it in a different way part of the time so if you do take it up and enjoy it, then incorporate it into your day along with smoking - I'll still smoke a few cigarettes when drinking but not every time - I urge you to give it an honest try.
Thanks, like the way you put my fear of another addiction to rest.
I will be meeting up with a buddy of mine who dips tomorrow night and he will help me on my way. He is an ex-smoker and now pretty much against smoking and when I called him and said I was thinking about starting to dip he was all gung-ho, so you have finally come to your senses and are ready to say goodby to those death sticks. I hope I donít have to gag or puke, watched some how to start dipping posts in you tube and it kind puts me off.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:16 AM

KWSmoker is on a distinguished road

Ben, i would definitely start with the pre-portioned pouches first to get used to it in your mouth- I think your friend will get you off to a good start - Do what he says and fight the being turned off scenario- if he gives you actual pinched of dip go with small pinches first, too small and you won’t be able to keep it in place and not so big that you have the same problem - you will have the need to spit a lot at first so just go with that- it will let up and in a short time it alleviates but it can be the difficult part of an initial reaction- make sure you’re sitting down as the nic hit can be overwhelming but if you start with a small pinch you’ll be OK- Go back to when you first started smoking, it was awful at first but you persevered and began to enjoy it- Same will happen with dipping.

Last edited by KWSmoker; 09-11-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by KWSmoker View Post
Ben, i would definitely start with the pre-portioned pouches first to get used to it in your mouth- I think your friend will get you off to a good start - Do what he says and fight the being turned off scenario- if he gives you actual pinched of dip go with small pinches first, too small and you wonít be able to keep it in place and not so big that you have the same problem - you will have the need to spit a lot at first so just go with that- it will let up and in a short time it alleviates but it can be the difficult part of an initial reaction- make sure youíre sitting down as the nic hit can be overwhelming but if you start with a small pinch youíll be OK- Go back to when you first started smoking, it was awful at first but you persevered and began to enjoy it- Same will happen with dipping.
Yeah my buddy told me he would pick me up a can of pouches. The spitting part kind of grosses me out but he tells me that I will get used to it. Well since I enjoyed smoking from my first cigarette, lets hope I will easy into dipping as well.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:10 AM

MarbSmkr is an unknown quantity at this point

Pouches are the way to go when starting dipping, so thats good he is getting you some. As for the spitting it becomes an enjoyable part of dipping and depending how much dip you have in will determine how much or often you are spitting.

When I started it took me one tin of pouches to know that I wanted to continue, when I went to buy my second tin of pouches the clerk accidentally gave me long cut and with that my training wheels were off and I was a dipper. Good luck!
Old 09-11-2019, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by MarbSmkr View Post
Pouches are the way to go when starting dipping, so thats good he is getting you some. As for the spitting it becomes an enjoyable part of dipping and depending how much dip you have in will determine how much or often you are spitting.

When I started it took me one tin of pouches to know that I wanted to continue, when I went to buy my second tin of pouches the clerk accidentally gave me long cut and with that my training wheels were off and I was a dipper. Good luck!
Yeah that is what he said as well and told that after a couple of cans of pouches I would be ready for long cut, i told him I was worried I might not like it and he said, I promise you once you have finished your first can you will.