Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

No Site Maintenance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2017, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs down No Site Maintenance

The General Smokers Discussion forum has been under a massive spam attack today. This morning, I sent notifications about this spam attack 4x. It's almost 12 hours later and nothing has been done. As of right now, there are three and a half pages of spam, all posted just today -- and it's still ongoing. The admin for this site hasn't been online here since March! For at least six months (maybe more) there have been a number of technical glitches here as well.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 07-20-2017 at 03:11 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

I wonder what all of those posts are about
Old 07-20-2017, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ohiophil View Post
I wonder what all of those posts are about
Probably jargon. It has all the hallmarks of an attack. I don't even think they're peddling something. I think it's pure malice. We're up to four different user names now. Either it the same person, or it's an organized attack. Given that two of these were posting this jargon at same time, it's probably the latter.

Correction: It's now five user names. The fifth one just started.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 07-20-2017 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

And the beat goes on. It's now up to six pages -- that would be roughly 300 threads in 24 hours. Spam notifications have gone unheeded. Admin continues to be AWOL.

It's now nine (?) user names. They appear to be competing with each other or working in shifts. The first one started up again this morning.

I just emailed the Super Moderator (he was last online here a week ago). But if this is coming from multiple computers it's going to take a lot of vigilance to get this under control.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 07-20-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator

The admin was online a little over an hour ago and got rid of the spam threads. But the spam attack has renewed since then. There remain posts from four of the user names from yesterday. Why weren't these users banned? It is obvious that these spam attackers are working in concert.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 07-21-2017 at 02:29 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
The admin was online a little over an hour ago and got rid of the spam threads. But the spam attack has renewed since then. There remain posts from four of the user names from yesterday. Why weren't these users banned? It is obvious that these spam attackers are working in concert.
James emailed back and said he banned 2 people. It's ez to start another account tho
Old 07-21-2017, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator

James emailed back and said he banned 2 people. It's ez to start another account tho
Why only 2 when by the time he had dealt with it there were 9 user names perpetrating this?

To keep this under control he'll have to check in daily.

Did you e-mail him? I was thinking that my e-mail to Chief Smoker was what finally got something done about it.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
Why only 2 when by the time he had dealt with it there were 9 user names perpetrating this?

To keep this under control he'll have to check in daily.

Did you e-mail him? I was thinking that my e-mail to Chief Smoker was what finally got something done about it.
I emailed him early this morning

I don't know why he only banned 2. Maybe the others weren't active yet. Idk. I sent him a reply to let him know they are at it again
Old 07-21-2017, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator

I emailed him early this morning

I don't know why he only banned 2. Maybe the others weren't active yet. Idk. I sent him a reply to let him know they are at it again
At the time he was online it was obvious that more than two had created numerous threads that were nothing but jargon -- a lot of random letters in a row.

Thanks for contacting him again. These attacks are going to continue. The only way to stop it is to remove them every day until they tire and move on to somewhere else to attack. In any case, daily vigilance is the minimum needed to keep some lid on it.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 07-21-2017 at 03:15 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

Admin is going to have his hands full for sure