Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > Questions, Comments & Suggestions » Pig blood on Cigarette filter

Pig blood on Cigarette filter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2017, 10:35 PM
Entry Member

Tanimcy78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pig blood on Cigarette filter

Hi,

I used to smoke regularly but last few years I have been smoking very less, like only on weekend with my friends. I have heard that Cigarette filter has pig blood or some kind of cell from pig blood. IS IT TRUE?? Do any you know??

I read a article online which was published in April 2010 Dutch research had identified it.
I smoke Marlboro lights Cigarette. If anyone know or have any information please let me know. I will highly appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited by Tanimcy78; 03-25-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

While at first glance it sounds improbable - cigarette filters are made from cellulose acetate - I found the 2010 article in the U.K.'s Daily Mail (copied below). Apparently it is only some cigarettes, but it may be difficult to find out which ones. Turkey's Health Ministry, for example, quickly announced on April 14, 2010 that it tested various brands of cigarettes sold in Turkey and found no traces of blood in any of them.

An Australian professor has warned religious groups that cigarette filters may contain traces of pig's blood. Simon Chapman said recent Dutch research has identified 185 different industrial uses for a pig - including the use of hemoglobin in cigarette filters. The University of Sydney professor said the study offered an insight into the world of cigarette manufacturing and was likely to spark concerns for devout Muslims and Jews.

'I think that there would be some particularly devout groups who would find the idea that there were pig products in cigarettes to be very offensive,' he told the Sydney Daily Telegraph. 'The Jewish community certainly takes these matters extremely seriously and the Islamic community certainly do as well, as would many vegetarians. 'It just puts into hard relief the problem that the tobacco industry is not required to declare the ingredients of cigarettes - they say "that's our business and a trade secret".'

The research found pig hemoglobin - a blood protein - was being used to make the filters more effective at blocking toxic chemicals before they entered a smoker's lungs. Professor Chapman said that although some tobacco companies had voluntarily published a list of the contents in their cigarettes on websites, they also noted undisclosed 'processing aids' in the finished product.

At least one brand of cigarettes sold in Greece has been confirmed to be using pig hemoglobin in its manufacturing processes, he added. Professor Chapman said: 'If you're a smoker and you're of Islamic or Jewish faith then you'd probably want to know and there is no way of finding out.'

I recall a few years ago somebody posted the ingredients in Marlboro cigarettes here at cigreviews. But, as I remember, it was only the ingredients in the tobacco blend.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 03-26-2017 at 12:18 AM.