Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reminiscing Time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2019, 01:51 PM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about
Default Reminiscing Time

And apolitical too. What was your first chore as a kid? Mine was assisting my older siblings in gathering the turkey eggs when they started to nest each Spring. After we had located the nest I as the youngest (and dumbest) would get sent it to distract the hen. As she was beating the crap outta me with her wings the older kids would pick up the eggs leaving one so she would return. Mom would sell the eggs to the hatchery in town.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:46 PM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
And apolitical too. What was your first chore as a kid? Mine was assisting my older siblings in gathering the turkey eggs when they started to nest each Spring. After we had located the nest I as the youngest (and dumbest) would get sent it to distract the hen. As she was beating the crap outta me with her wings the older kids would pick up the eggs leaving one so she would return. Mom would sell the eggs to the hatchery in town.
I was given the chore of foraging bait before we went fishing. Nightcrawlers, crawdads, minnows, catalpa worms...whatever. Also picking berries, cherries, dandelions etc.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:29 PM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DancesWithWerewolves View Post
I was given the chore of foraging bait before we went fishing. Nightcrawlers, crawdads, minnows, catalpa worms...whatever. Also picking berries, cherries, dandelions etc.
My grandmother was extreme old-school. She loved wilted dandelion greens so wed go out and pick some each spring. My mom would make dandelion wine from the blossoms so a couple of weeks later we had another chore. It takes a lot of dandelion blossoms to fill a bucket! Good work for some 4 to 5 year olds though.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
My grandmother was extreme old-school. She loved wilted dandelion greens so wed go out and pick some each spring. My mom would make dandelion wine from the blossoms so a couple of weeks later we had another chore. It takes a lot of dandelion blossoms to fill a bucket! Good work for some 4 to 5 year olds though.

We had to pick dandelions too. Mom lies to us and said it was to make the yard look nice.

We had chores at home and at grandpas house. Grandpa was always into some side business of some sort. Making concrete statues, building dune buggies etc, and we were slave labor. It was always fun though
Old 04-08-2019, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by ohiophil View Post
We had to pick dandelions too. Mom lies to us and said it was to make the yard look nice.
We had to pick dandelions for my mother's salad, but they had to be picked before the flower grew, otherwise the leaves would be too tough. My mother also planted dandelions in the garden. In the mid-eighties when she couldn't get the seeds locally anymore, I was living within walking distance of the New York Botanical Gardens, so I got appointed to buy her packages of dandelion seeds from there.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:24 AM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

I made a breakfast of scrambled eggs using dandelion greens instead of baby spinach this morning. I put this in a flour tortilla with some hot sauce, onion, cheese, and sausage. I need to go scout for morel mushrooms but fixing up the lawn mower is probably more important right now.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

That sounds good -- I think I might try it, minus the sausage.