Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Naming Snow Storms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2018, 10:41 PM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about
Default Naming Snow Storms

Whoever got the brilliant idea of naming a snow storm anyway? Must’ve been a city slicker! Around here the only name for snow starts with”F’n” and that only when there’s at least 18” on the ground.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:30 AM

Bill is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
Whoever got the brilliant idea of naming a snow storm anyway? Must’ve been a city slicker! Around here the only name for snow starts with”F’n” and that only when there’s at least 18” on the ground.
I guess why should the Gulf and Atlantic coasts have all the fun with named storms, hurricanes?

I have been through a few really severe winter storms over the years. It is interesting!
Old 12-27-2018, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I guess why should the Gulf and Atlantic coasts have all the fun with named storms, hurricanes?

I have been through a few really severe winter storms over the years. It is interesting!
My mother was thrilled when they named a hurricane after her. She said it was just about right
Old 12-27-2018, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by ohiophil View Post
My mother was thrilled when they named a hurricane after her. She said it was just about right
We had a lady SGT in my Guard Company. She was a very good person and most helpful. Her first name was used for a very severe hurricane.

If you wanted a worse storm, try kidding her about it! Her temper was worse than the hurricane!
Old 12-27-2018, 08:32 AM

marlbororob89 is on a distinguished road

Well, we don't have to worry about hurricanes in the Pacific Northwest and snow, well, 10 years ago when I was in college, it snowed here in Spokane for 30 consecutive hours, so other than that and with all the ski resorts around here, we are pretty much used to snow around here, so, we just get used it. The bad thing is all the "potholes" on the road after the snow melts that makes trying to smoke when driving an adventure.

It's just having to go outside on smoke breaks that's the bad part, BUT, we all chipped in to buy several of those larger heaters to surround us outside to keep us semi-nice and warm.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:31 PM

CandiR has a spectacular aura aboutCandiR has a spectacular aura aboutCandiR has a spectacular aura about

Naming winter storms is stupid. It's a Weather Channel thing. The way I understand it, it gives them a way to monetize wither storms and gives them recognition.
As far as I'm concerned, hurricanes (typhoons, cyclones) are the only weather events that should be named.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:24 PM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about

I haven’t watched the Weather Channel in years but I remember that their favorite shot during a hurricane was to plant some newbie outside in the storm and try for a dramatic shot of them getting blown away. Wonder if they’d try that when it’s 40 below? I’d sit by the fire and watch!
Old 01-28-2019, 07:20 AM

cindyslims is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by CandiR View Post
Naming winter storms is stupid. It's a Weather Channel thing. The way I understand it, it gives them a way to monetize wither storms and gives them recognition.
As far as I'm concerned, hurricanes (typhoons, cyclones) are the only weather events that should be named.

So true Candi that I had to stop myself from perpetual quotes from famous literates quote Brian White, "You can't fix stupid...." Everything from the weather forecast to the JUUL epidemic. Had the Altria/JUUL deal not followed through, I might not have the dividends in proof and considered the next Wretch of any storm, due declared, me
Old 01-28-2019, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
I haven’t watched the Weather Channel in years but I remember that their favorite shot during a hurricane was to plant some newbie outside in the storm and try for a dramatic shot of them getting blown away. Wonder if they’d try that when it’s 40 below? I’d sit by the fire and watch!
Oh the Weather Channel does that.

I am in the middle of this storm at the moment. So I am keeping an eye out for Jim Cantore!
Old 11-10-2019, 11:53 PM

Jamie Matthews is an unknown quantity at this point

Here in UK all our storms have names. They go through the alphabet