Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > Off Topic - Talk About Anything You Want » Birth control (another for the ladies, but gentlemen can answer for their wives/gf's)

Birth control (another for the ladies, but gentlemen can answer for their wives/gf's)

View Poll Results: Birth control, and opinions thereof.
I use/used hormonal b/c, and I do not believe that using hormonal b/c is more risky for smokers. 0 0%
I use/used hormonal b/c, and I believe that using hormonal b/c is more risky for smokers. 0 0%
I use/used non-hormonal b/c, and I do not believe that using hormonal b/c is more risky for smokers. 0 0%
I use/used non-hormonal b/c, and I believe that using hormonal b/c is more risky for smokers. 4 100.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2016, 05:28 PM

mshildegard will become famous soon enough
Default Birth control (another for the ladies, but gentlemen can answer for their wives/gf's)

Many birth control methods introduce hormones, which increase the risk of blood clots. For those of us that are smokers, smoking is believed to compound this. Further, there is evidence that smoking can decrease the effectiveness of hormonal birth control, because smoking causes a breakdown of estrogen levels, which in turn plays a role in the effectiveness of hormonal birth control. Many of us consider this to be an issue, and many of us aren't worried about it. Which would you consider to be your preferred birth control method, and what are your views on hormonal versus non-hormal?

After 4 years of not being good friends with the pill, to include a miscarriage, I had a Copper-T inserted when I was 24. Altogether, I would wear it for 30 years. My reinsertion was supposed to be when I was 54, but since I had menopause at 52, I just had it removed.

Last edited by mshildegard; 05-16-2016 at 05:37 PM. Reason: my view
Old 05-17-2016, 07:40 AM

MeganBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya! I signed up just to answer this: I'm in the same boat as you with this one.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:43 AM

Welcome to our forum, Megan! If you stick around, you will find many like minded people here.

Originally Posted by MeganBlue View Post
Hiya! I signed up just to answer this: I'm in the same boat as you with this one.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:44 AM

MeganBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! I've been browsing for a while and the website is very useful for its reviews! I'm on a bit of a posting roll at the moment haha.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:49 AM

Go for it! You need to get rid of that "junior member" tag.

Originally Posted by MeganBlue View Post
Thanks! I've been browsing for a while and the website is very useful for its reviews! I'm on a bit of a posting roll at the moment haha.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:35 PM

Joan1961 will become famous soon enough

My b/c days were long over before I started smoking. I was on the pill, before I got my tubal. But I do believe that hormonal b/c is more risky for women who
smoke than women who do not smoke. If I had to go back on b/c, I'd opt for a non-hormonal IUD.

"I've come a long way, baby"
Old 06-02-2018, 05:15 AM

G_H will become famous soon enough

I’m a guy, and a Dad….hope you let me weigh in on this issue….

My wife is very pragmatic, and common-sense. And very close to the kids.

When our oldest was in her mid teens (I’m thinking right before she turned 15), my wife and I were sitting at the kitchen table one day and she said, ”Oh, I’m getting “Janice” fitted for an IUD. She needs it.” Just like it was, “I’m going with her to get her ears pierced.” And stated in a way that was an announcement, not something she might do.

I sputtered and stammered…What? My little girl?

Turns out my wife realized that our daughter was going on dates, and needed to be ready, in case things went too far it would be OK. She picked an IUD because she did not want a young teen girl to be dosed with hormones (the pill), the effect which might cause lasting problems on a young, developing girl…and need strict discipline to take it every day. With other, barrier methods need to stop and put something on…if it’s available.

There’s this double standard where boys can bang away like a screen door in a tornado, and girls have to sit home in their room holding an aspirin between their knees. When they both have strong urges.

IUD: just set it and forget it, takes a few seconds to verify it’s still in place and it’s good to go. More spontaneous.

All methods have pros and cons, different failure rates, so it’s the woman’s choice.

Our youngest got hers soon after, at 13 or 14.

As a guy, it was a woman-to-woman thing. I was mostly kept out of the loop.

Last edited by G_H; 06-02-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:35 AM

Heike will become famous soon enoughHeike will become famous soon enough
Default Copper-T

I had a ParaGard inserted when I was 25. And while I would have loved to have gotten a Mirena, to curtail menstruation, I was aware of the risks of using hormonal birth control as a smoker. 10-year reinsertions came at 35 and 45, and it came out when I was 55, since I no longer needed it.