Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > Newport Cigarettes » The history of Newport (long post)

The history of Newport (long post)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

cooljay788 is on a distinguished road
Default The history of Newport (long post)

Everyone knows about Newport being the #1 menthol brand, and the #1 brand for African-American smokers.

Newport used to be an all-white brand in the 60s. The pack design looked different back then. And Lorillard wasn't really targeting the brand towards us Blacks eitha. I think their 60s slogan was "Newport tastes fresher than any otha menthol cig."

In the early 70s, Lorillard changed the pack design, and the Newport cig became a corked cig. Lorillard started targeting us Blacks by going into actual Black neighborhoods in Newport vans, passing out free packs to all minorities in the hoods.

I even heard those folks in the Newport vans gave free packs to underage Black folks too. I dunno how long Lorillard went into Black hoods to give out free Newport packs. But I do know it likely lasted in the early 70s. I bet antis in that decade put an end to the Newport vans themselves.

Newport was the 3rd most popular menthol brand in the 70s. Only Kool and Salem were more popular among (in particular) Black smokers.

While Lorillard was trying to compete with Salem and Kool in that decade, it wasn't til the late 80's/early 90s when Newport became a lot more popular.

Now in modern times, Newport is the Blacks' version of Marlboro. Although I'm sure Marlboro is still the #1 selling USA brand period.

10 years ago, I used to see bros/sistas in Chicago not just smoking Newports, but Kools and Salems too. I even saw one sista in 1999 with a Benson and Hedges Menthol pack.

I think it's been that long (10 years) since I saw a Black smoker with a brand otha than Newports. Newport seems to be the ONLY brand urban smokers enjoy in modern times.

If you try asking one of "us" if "we" want a Marlboro or Camel, I bet no bro or sis is gonna take it. They not even gonna take a Kool cig anymore, although that's a menthol. The only cig most of us want in my town is Newport.

And believe me, if you carry around a pack of Newport 100's in Chicago, that's like carrying around loose money in your hands or pocket.

I'm one of the few urban smokers who's actually willing to try otha cig brands. A lotta fellow Black smokers will smoke ONLY Newports, and that's it...no exceptions. But I still smoke Newports occassionally cause that's the brand that's part of my identity as an urban smoker.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:59 AM

thor91 is on a distinguished road

I also see most black smokers with menthols, and mostly Newports, but I also see a lot of Kools and Salems as well. I heard of people working for cigarette companies going around but not in vans. Thanks for the history.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:44 PM

barfly is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Thanks for the history lesson Jay. It's always good to read your posts.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Therion will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cooljay788 View Post

I even heard those folks in the Newport vans gave free packs to underage Black folks too. I dunno how long Lorillard went into Black hoods to give out free Newport packs. But I do know it likely lasted in the early 70s. I bet antis in that decade put an end to the Newport vans themselves.
That's awesome, I wish a cig van would roll around my house and give me free samples.

Originally Posted by cooljay788 View Post
10 years ago, I used to see bros/sistas in Chicago not just smoking Newports, but Kools and Salems too. I even saw one sista in 1999 with a Benson and Hedges Menthol pack.

I think it's been that long (10 years) since I saw a Black smoker with a brand otha than Newports. Newport seems to be the ONLY brand urban smokers enjoy in modern times.

If you try asking one of "us" if "we" want a Marlboro or Camel, I bet no bro or sis is gonna take it. They not even gonna take a Kool cig anymore, although that's a menthol. The only cig most of us want in my town is Newport.

And believe me, if you carry around a pack of Newport 100's in Chicago, that's like carrying around loose money in your hands or pocket.

I'm one of the few urban smokers who's actually willing to try otha cig brands. A lotta fellow Black smokers will smoke ONLY Newports, and that's it...no exceptions. But I still smoke Newports occassionally cause that's the brand that's part of my identity as an urban smoker.
Yeah, I used to work with a black guy who smokes Salems.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:24 PM

Queen_Bee will become famous soon enough

I know alot of black smokers who cigarettes that aren't newports.
Living this way was the price
For something she never knew
It's her heart she left behind
Having thoughts of suicide
Dreaming of a fairytale life

-Bridget Waters
Old 08-21-2011, 12:33 AM

lauraleaf is on a distinguished road

lol my black ex got me hooked on newports. im latina
Old 12-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Entry Member

sketchez is on a distinguished road
Default Cool newport song!

youtube.com/watch?v=NPmbTZBum_s I NEED A NEWPORT- song by morbit

this song is on youtube and it's cool because it's all about NEWPORTS- click the link to see the video and song

Last edited by Chief Smoker; 12-11-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Banned

pandeymitul is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info bro...but going around in vans distributing cigs to underage kids..ain't that illegal??
Old 01-27-2012, 11:53 AM

RudyLS is on a distinguished road

The OP is not a good speller. Who spells gangsta on a forum !

Ps: I am black and wouldn't touch a Newport
Old 02-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Banned

iefceo is on a distinguished road

I am black and wouldn't touch a Newport
too