Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > Marlboro Cigarettes » European vs American Marlboro

European vs American Marlboro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2016, 05:39 AM

Smoking_Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question European vs American Marlboro

Hello. Anybody who tried european and american marlboro, is there a difference in taste besides in strength?
Old 09-22-2016, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

While in the navy we would buy foreign Marlboro, camel etc. They taste close enough to make the brand name believable but that's about it. Marlboro's second cousin?
Old 09-22-2016, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

In Latin America, Marlboros used to be made in Venezuela (I don't know if they still are). Those were pretty close from what I recall ... I never had European Marlboros (I had Marlboro 100s in Turkey, but they were imported from the U.S. -- btw, it was practically impossible to find king-size Marlboros there, the preference of Turkish smokers, at least back then, was 100s), but I've had European made Winstons and L&M, and British Benson & Hedges, and they're definitely not the same. The British Benson & Hedges (made by British American Tobacco) are still very good cigarettes, but compared to American Benson & Hedges (made by Philip Morris) there's just a "family resemblence." The L&M I had, some time ago, were made in Ukraine, and the only thing they had in common with L&M here was the name. The Winston, also some time ago, was made in Switzerland, and were okay, but seemed "weaker" and didn't quite taste the same.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 09-22-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:53 AM

Sahra is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't tried a cigarette made for the American market yet, but I think strength must make a difference in taste, too. Here, in the European Union, we have laws about how much nicotine and tar may be in a single cigarette, or, rather, its smoke produced by some kind of testing machine. It's hard to believe how strong cigarettes used to be at some time. The Prince brand had a nicotine level of 1.7, for example, and Gitanes had a whooping 2.8 at one time, with a tar level of 35. You could actually see the tar in the smoke, and if you smoked the filtered version, which came (and still comes) with a diminutive filter, you could see it brown. After two drags, it was as brown as the filter of a blonde cigarette smoked right down. Nowadays, to comply with European laws, they have made the cigarettes smaller. The tobacco is still black, but the non-filtered version is pencil-thin now. Now, returning to Marlboros. Both King Size and 120s (one of my aunts chain-smokes them) have retained their length and gauge, so they must have tampered with them in a different way. There's a saying that Marlboro is the brand every smoker will smoke at least once in his or her life, and it's true even for me although I have never bought a single pack. All Marlboros I've smoked so far were from other people's packs. When I was in secondary school, Marlboro Reds were popular. When I was in college, most girls smoked Marlboro Lights. I remember their taste as something like brioche, the French, slightly sweet bread.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

The "tampering" you mention could be two things:

(1) A different filter design ... most likely the filter is perforated with ventilation holes, which is how the filters of most "light" cigarettes in the U.S. are designed.

(2) A different tobacco blend, using tobaccos lower in tar and nicotine--that would also account for a difference in taste from its U.S.-made counterpart.

P.S. I understand that the Greek brand George Karelias & Sons is in violation of the E.U. mandated limits, but the Greek government has been ignoring the Brussels bureaucracy and has done nothing about it.

Incidentally, the U.S. discontinued testing cigarettes for tar and nicotine yields about ten years ago, because the machine doesn't "smoke" the cigarette the same way as a human smoker, so the FTC testing was abandoned on the grounds that its results were essentially meaningless.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 09-29-2016 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:08 AM

You're right about the original Karelias. Queen Margarethe II of Denmark smokes them, and, in fact, she signed the decree herself that implemented the EU laws regarding maximum levels of nicotine and tar in cigarettes. However, she still gets them somehow. As a head of state, she has immunity, and maybe the company mails them to her directly.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sahra View Post
You're right about the original Karelias. Queen Margarethe II of Denmark smokes them, and, in fact, she signed the decree herself that implemented the EU laws regarding maximum levels of nicotine and tar in cigarettes. However, she still gets them somehow. As a head of state, she has immunity, and maybe the company mails them to her directly.
Yes, I know that Queen Margrethe II smokes Karelias (they're her favorite brand) and I think you're right about the company sending them to her directly. I am a bit surprised she signed the E.U. decree, but as a constitutional monarch, she may have had no other choice. The monarch cannot directly oppose her own government. Some monarchs have used "inventive" ways to allow laws to be enacted without their signature in order get around such constitutional requirements when there's been a serious conflict of conscience.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:41 AM

I don't know all the twists of EU law, but I think at this point in history, all laws issued by the EU are binding for all member states. There used to be exceptions. Denmark does not have the euro monetary unit because it voted against it via referendum before it was made mandatory for all member states. Maybe Denmark could have resisted the ruling about nicotine and tar levels, too, but I think many people simply didn't mind because traditional brands like Prince, Kings and Cecil were becoming less and less popular anyway. I still remember a time when a typical tobacco stand in a grocery storie had two entire rows of Prince, one row of Prince Light, one half row of Marlboro (Red, only), and the remainder of that row was filled with other brands of foreign cigarettes like Lucky Strike, Camel and Gauloises Blondes. Then there was a row for rolling tobacco and niche brands like Kings, Cecil, and sometimes, Gitanes or Dunhill. The pipe tobaccos were at the sides. MacBaren Scottish Blend and Plumcake, Bell's Three Nuns (an English tobacco with a very pungent smell) and generic blends.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sahra View Post
but I think at this point in history, all laws issued by the EU are binding for all member states.
Which is why the United Kingdom is leaving. They want their national sovereignty back. I predict that the U.K. will not be the last to leave and I think Denmark should follow the U.K.'s example, just as it did in rejecting the unified currency.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 10-01-2016 at 05:21 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:50 AM

Heike is on a distinguished road

Big difference! EU cigarettes are limited to 10 mg tar and 1.0 mg nicotine. When I buy my Marlboro reds 100's there, it's like I'm smoking Marlboro golds 100's. Which means I smoke more when I'm home in Germany. Sometimes, when I'm not in public, I'll cut off half the filter.