Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > Introductions Everyone? » Greetings from Illinois

Greetings from Illinois

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2018, 09:17 PM

CrownGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Greetings from Illinois

Hello everyone!
I'm from a suburb of Chicago (no Cook county taxes thank goodness). I just found this forum over the weekend and finally registered.

The shortest way to describe me is "better late than never." I first tried a Newport at the age of 13. Thought they were too strong....
From college until the age of 38 I was in the "Social Smoker" category: bummed a cigarette here/there off friends at clubs/bars/parties. No particular brand in that time frame It wasn't until after turning 39 that I "dove into the deep end." My SO (we've been together for 1 1/2 years) has always been a smoker and so has his family. I would enjoy one of his Camels or Pall Mall's from time to time, so making "the transition" was pretty easy to 1 ppd in 2018, even though I do not come from a smoking family. In fact my entire family is very Anti.

Some people would say I went from 0 to 100 pretty quickly, but
No regrets at all. In fact holy smokes I've been missing out all of these years

Looking forward to chatting with all of you.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-27-2018, 03:35 AM

Bill is on a distinguished road
Default Welcome!!!

Greetings from Michigan!!!
As they say in the Navy, "Welcome Aboard!"
So long as you are enjoying smoking, it doesn't really matter when you started.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:26 AM

marlbororob89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to a fellow smoker from the Pacific Northwest and like you, I was a late starter at age 25.

We look forward to your comments, observations and feedback on here and Happy Holidays.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:43 PM

Thanks Bill & marlbororob89 *thumbs up*
Old 12-28-2018, 12:16 AM

IronicChef is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by CrownGirl View Post
Hello everyone!
I'm from a suburb of Chicago (no Cook county taxes thank goodness). I just found this forum over the weekend and finally registered.

The shortest way to describe me is "better late than never." I first tried a Newport at the age of 13. Thought they were too strong....
From college until the age of 38 I was in the "Social Smoker" category: bummed a cigarette here/there off friends at clubs/bars/parties. No particular brand in that time frame It wasn't until after turning 39 that I "dove into the deep end." My SO (we've been together for 1 1/2 years) has always been a smoker and so has his family. I would enjoy one of his Camels or Pall Mall's from time to time, so making "the transition" was pretty easy to 1 ppd in 2018, even though I do not come from a smoking family. In fact my entire family is very Anti.

Some people would say I went from 0 to 100 pretty quickly, but
No regrets at all. In fact holy smokes I've been missing out all of these years

Looking forward to chatting with all of you.

Happy Holidays!
Welcome to the forum. I grew up in the western Suburbs of Chicago! Though now I live in the NW. I was also a later starter, sort of dabbled in smoking for many of my teen, twenties and thirties, until The age of 35 when I started regularly.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:27 AM

Thanks IronicChef. NW Suburbs or NW Indiana? If the latter, was wondering how much are a carton of cigarettes? I.E. is it worth the time driving? How much do you smoke and what brand?
Old 12-28-2018, 03:52 AM

IronicChef is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by CrownGirl View Post
Thanks IronicChef. NW Suburbs or NW Indiana? If the latter, was wondering how much are a carton of cigarettes? I.E. is it worth the time driving? How much do you smoke and what brand?
I lived in Downers Grove Area, and then Batavia (near Fermilab). I moved before I was buying cigarettes, so I have no idea the prices, or what amount is allowable to take over state lines.

I mostly make my own, but also smoke Marlboro smooth from time to time, or Camel 99ís in the red pack.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:19 AM

I know those areas of the burbs very well.
I enjoy Camel 99's (Blue pack) and Pall Mall Reds. I've never tried Marlboro. I always thought the latter was "really strong."
Old 12-28-2018, 05:45 AM

Bill is on a distinguished road
Default Sampling

My advice to a fairly new smoker is to try many brands and lengths. This way you can find what you enjoy the best. In the "trade" it is called sampling.
I hope you will try.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:01 PM

I like the idea of sampling...what do you do when you get a "not so great" or flat out terrible brand? Ironically i feel guilty just throwing the pack out. Silly I know lol
If I did get a brand I don't like I bet i can smoke a few of my preferred brands then intermix smoking the other ones then once that pack was done I'd know not to buy that brand again while I don't like Newports-dont care for the menthol, do you have any brands you like? I like Pall Mall Reds and Camel(Blue) Wides