Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » Did you have teachers who smoked?

Did you have teachers who smoked?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2020, 03:48 PM

StatisticsJason is a jewel in the roughStatisticsJason is a jewel in the roughStatisticsJason is a jewel in the roughStatisticsJason is a jewel in the rough
Default Did you have teachers who smoked?

When I was a school kid in the 70s and early 80a there were teachers lounges. When I walked by it was always amazing to me how many teachers were smoking in there. Smoking didn't nearly have the stigma back then that it does today yet it STILL seemed like something that was too naughty of an activity for teachers to engage in..yet they did and it was so easy to see them do it.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:01 PM

Laurasmoker is on a distinguished road

Yes I did, and Im a teacher myself and smoke
Old 02-10-2020, 05:07 PM

duMaurier girl will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by StatisticsJason View Post
When I was a school kid in the 70s and early 80a there were teachers lounges. When I walked by it was always amazing to me how many teachers were smoking in there. Smoking didn't nearly have the stigma back then that it does today yet it STILL seemed like something that was too naughty of an activity for teachers to engage in..yet they did and it was so easy to see them do it.
I graduated from HS in 2001, and I remember seeing my favourite teacher smoke and thinking how cool she was. Years later I bumped into her outside at a restaurant and we shared our smoke break, that was also pretty cool for me.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:09 PM

AllWhiteSmoke will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I had at least two who were known smokers and at least a handful we suspected of being smokers.

My junior high english teacher was a smoker and he didn't really make any effort to hide it. The "smoking pit" for teachers was this area behind the cafeteria where the trucks would come in for deliveries and he could be regularly seen smoking back there whenever we went to lunch.

My history teacher in high school was a smoker. I posted a story about her a long time ago when she caught me smoking off campus one weekend when we had a project thing at a local library related to her class (didn't report me given the circumstances but did warn me not to let her catch me smoking again, especially on campus). Though I had never seen her smoke personally before then, everyone knew she did and since my class with her was right after lunch, she'd usually smell at least faintly of cigarettes after coming in from her post-lunch smoke break.

My algebra teacher in junior high was a German woman. It was her first year teaching at my school and quite a few of my classmates believed she was a smoker. I never saw her smoke (unlike my English teacher above), but some of my friends said they'd smelled it on her before and a couple said they saw her smoking in her car either on the way to school or leaving school.

My biology teacher in high school was apparently a smoker. The funny thing was, absolutely no one suspected her of being a smoker. Not one. She was very goofy and eccentric and just didn't have the look or "aura" of a smoker. She never smelled like cigarettes, had never been seen smoking, etc. Until one day, a girl in my class (who was probably this teacher's favorite student, to be honest) off-handedly mentioned to some of us that this particular teacher smoked "too much." It prompted some of us to basically ask, "She smokes? What the hell?" Apparently this was just kind of a known thing among a small handful of students who would often do after-school biology related projects with this teacher, as she would go somewhere behind the school as soon as school was over and chainsmoke three or four cigarettes before returning for the after-school projects, and thus would smell very strongly of cigarettes. Even more amusingly, it was maybe only a few weeks later when the teacher just casually told the entire class she smoked. I forget what exactly the lecture was about, but she was doing her usual eccentric presentation and she said something that prompted her to say "And that's why you should never smoke! I mean, I smoke, but you shouldn't smoke!" Anyone who hadn't heard by then that she was a smoker was legitimately shocked. Even some of the seniors who had been around her four years (some even longer since they'd been there since middle school and she was a frequent presence all over campus) had no clue, not even a suspicion. She must've been very good at hiding it, though given her personality, I'm not sure if she was ever actually trying to hide it.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:11 PM

marlbororob89 is on a distinguished road

There is a very good possibility that there were some that did, but, since smoking in schools was banned when I graduated, they most likely hid it, so unless I see them now, many years later, I wouldn't know.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:18 PM

PallMalllover is on a distinguished road
Default Teacher

Originally Posted by Laurasmoker View Post
Iím a teacher who smokes also and I had several teachers who smoked.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

For me, K-12 was 1969-1982. Of course I had teachers who smoked, and it was no secret. Why should it have been? And, yes, smoking was allowed in the teachers' lounge. Today, technically no smoking on school property, but when passing by schools I've seen school employees smoking outdoors on school grounds -- in fact, I just did on Thursday when passing by a high school in Jersey City.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 02-11-2020 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:29 PM

RitaR will become famous soon enoughRitaR will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Laurasmoker View Post
Ditto and ditto.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:43 PM

Number 7 is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG, yes. I remember the staff room in my elementary school, the smoke used to waft from the room. Such a strong smell. That was the start of the 1970's.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:28 AM

Marbs4ever is on a distinguished road

I was in elementary school from the mid 70's through the early 80's. I'm pretty sure all of my teachers from K - grade 4 smoked. My 5th grade teacher was an anti-smoker who made us all sign pledges not to smoke. I knew at the time it was a pledge I would never keep. By the end of 6th grade I knew at least half a dozen of my classmates had already broken theirs. A few weeks into the summer break I joined them.