Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Smoking in Rental Car

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 09:56 AM
Entry Member

KennyG is on a distinguished road
Question Smoking in Rental Car

Id like to know if anyone would rental from a rental car company that marketed to smokers and allowed smoking in their cars. Would you make them a first choice for your rental car needs?
Old 02-09-2020, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by KennyG View Post
Id like to know if anyone would rental from a rental car company that marketed to smokers and allowed smoking in their cars. Would you make them a first choice for your rental car needs?
Probably. I would want to support such a company as a matter of principle.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:47 PM

Heike will become famous soon enoughHeike will become famous soon enough

It's been many years since major car rental chains allowed smoking in their cars. I think Enterprise was the last to offer a very small "penalty", around $50, for smoking in their cars, while the rest were well over $200. I want to say, by 2010, smoking rental cars were mostly history.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:04 PM

RitaR will become famous soon enoughRitaR will become famous soon enough

I would if their prices were in line with the other rental companies. But I wouldnt pay out the nose just to be able to smoke in the car. Its not that inconvenient to stop every couple hours to get out to smoke one or two to keep the fix going.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:11 PM

Nina the Smoker will become famous soon enough

I have a very unusual attitude about smoking in cars.

I am a quite heavy smoker (2+ packs a day) and I smoke in every room in my house except my daughter's room. But I rarely smoke in my car. It seems like a lot of smokers have exactly the opposite philosophy.

There are a bunch of reasons. I find it difficult to do in a non messy way. Driving makes me nervous and not being able to have two hands with a solid grip on the wheel makes me uncomfortable. I sometimes use my car to give people a ride in a professional context and it seems less professional. On long road trips I find stopping somewhat frequently makes the trip more pleasant and me more focused on driving.

I do sometimes smoke in my car. Especially if I am stuck in a traffic jam. But it isn't a regular thing.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:28 PM

marlbororob89 is on a distinguished road

When we were in Las Vegas last year, although it wasn't "officially" posted, smoking in rental cars is not permitted and like non-smoking rooms in most hotels, although I did post where you can stay and smoke in Vegas, if you get caught smoking in a rental car or hotel room, you pay a pretty significant cleaning bill for smoking in it - anywhere from $300 and up.

Although I haven't seen anything official on it in print or writing and have only heard from co-workers and friends, there is talk that Hertz rents cars to smokers, BUT, you have to request a car that is "for smokers"

Uber and Lyft are the way to go now if you need to get from point to point in any city when you travel and for the most part, you can't smoke in them anyway, but, if it's less than a 30 minute trip, it's not a problem to go without smoking when in the car when travelling. We were able to get in an Uber from the northern end of the Las Vegas strip to the Fabulous Las Vegas sign in an Uber without a cigarette and we didn't go through withdrawals or problems, although there are more than a few sights to take your mind off it
Old 02-09-2020, 10:51 PM

Newportlover82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KennyG View Post
I know me and my wife would because whenever i rent a car and decide to smoke in it i have to make sure to clean out the inside very good and hope they don't notice any cigarette smell when i return i. I think it would be a great business idea to have a rental car company that would market towards smokers. I think a lot of smokers would go to them when needing to rent a car.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by marlbororob89 View Post
Although I haven't seen anything official on it in print or writing and have only heard from co-workers and friends, there is talk that Hertz rents cars to smokers, BUT, you have to request a car that is "for smokers"
It's true that SOME Hertz and Thrifty allow smoking in their cars; i.e., Hertz and Thrifty are not fleet-wide "smoke free." It depends on the individual location: some allow smoking in all cars (I can personally testify to this from rentals I've had in Puerto Rico and Florida), at some, as you indicated, you have to request a car "for smokers" (I can personally testify to this from a rental I had in Cleveland, Ohio), and some don't allow smoking in their cars at all (I personally haven't rented from a Hertz or Thrifty location where that was so).

Originally Posted by RitaR View Post
I would if their prices were in line with the other rental companies. But I wouldnt pay out the nose just to be able to smoke in the car. Its not that inconvenient to stop every couple hours to get out to smoke one or two to keep the fix going.
Yes, it would hardly make sense if the cost of the rental would be the same, or greater, than what it'd be if you smoked in a "no smoking" rental car and paid the "cleaning" fee on top of the rental rate.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 02-11-2020 at 12:07 AM.