Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » Talking to doctors/dentists

Talking to doctors/dentists

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 11:46 AM

JohnDoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Talking to doctors/dentists

Just wondering: how honest are you guys when your doctor/dentist asks if/how much you smoke? And how do you respond if they give you a lecture?
Old 01-12-2020, 12:10 PM

kelly10 will become famous soon enough

I guess it must be a job requirement for them to bring up my smoking habits. I always feel a bit uncomfortable and slightly embarrassed.by their inquiries. I know they mean well, but...

I always respond that I smoke “about a pack a day”, hoping they interrupt it as less, not more, as I really do. I always respond that I am really trying hard to cut down, which is true.

Any further discussion I simply tune out, as I also smoke for mental health; and, that is important too.

Further, I can’ t, so I have no plans on quitting at this stage of my life! Making such uncomfortable talk meaningless.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:31 PM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about

No need to elaborate. Just be truthful and let them give their spiel. They’re simply doing their job. Remember, they have sharp instruments in tender places. No badmouthing!
Old 01-12-2020, 01:31 PM

Heike will become famous soon enoughHeike will become famous soon enough

Most of mine pretty much say, "you know you shouldn't smoke, right?", and nothing more.

The one time I could remember talking in depth with my OB/GYN about smoking was when I was 45, it was reinsertion time for my IUD. I was wearing a Copper-T, which was not hormonal based, and wanted to switch to Mirena, which was hormonal based. She told me that hormonal birth control increases the risk of blood clots, and smoking is believed to compound this. Also, because smoking causes a breakdown in estrogen levels, it can also decrease the effectiveness of hormonal birth control. I don't know if she would have or would not have inserted a Mirena if I persisted, but I didn't persist. We proceeded with the Copper-T.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:09 AM

smokey68 will become famous soon enough
Default I don't smoke!

I'm a closet smoker so I always check the no box on tobacco use. I have never had a comment from a doc or dentist about "Well it looks or sounds like you smoke". Whenever they listen to my lungs, they say things sound great. Probably because I work out a ton.

Now something strange did happen about 6 months ago. I was in for a checkup, and the nurse asked me if I still smoked. I said, "What??" She said it was in the system that I was a smoker. I said it must be a mistake. Not the first time there where they screwed something up. Like the time a couple of years ago when I was on pain meds for back and hip pain. They did a drug test and said I failed for THC. NO WAY I had THC in my system at that point in time. I went back and took another test to prove them wrong which did come back clean. But still, they won't ever prescribe me pain meds again because of their screw up. I don't need them now, but who knows about down the line.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by smokey68 View Post
I'm a closet smoker so I always check the no box on tobacco use. I have never had a comment from a doc or dentist about "Well it looks or sounds like you smoke". Whenever they listen to my lungs, they say things sound great. Probably because I work out a ton.
How much/often do you actually smoke? Aside from smell, I think its things like skin tone that are the give away in a healthy smoker... also they can tell from urine tests (if they're testing for cotinine).
Old 01-13-2020, 12:11 PM

smokey68 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
How much/often do you actually smoke? Aside from smell, I think its things like skin tone that are the give away in a healthy smoker... also they can tell from urine tests (if they're testing for cotinine).
I smoke between 0 and 8 per day. I never smoke before I go to the doc or dentist. Even if the appointment is later in the day. My skin is great!

I really wouldn't care if they found nicotine in my urine. I had a cigar last night!
Old 01-13-2020, 12:24 PM

Marlboroman39 will become famous soon enoughMarlboroman39 will become famous soon enough

Just tell them no comment. It’s none of their business how much anyone smokes
Old 01-13-2020, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by smokey68 View Post
I had a cigar last night!
Good for you Cuban?
Old 01-15-2020, 05:16 PM

RitaR will become famous soon enoughRitaR will become famous soon enough

I tell the truth.