Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Years Resolution

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2019, 07:15 AM

Jürgen will become famous soon enough
Default New Years Resolution

My son who has been a smoker for two years now is planning to quit tomorrow.
When I asked him if his new girlfriend of three months who doesn’t smoke has anything to do with it. Not really dad, although I enjoy smoking, I never thought I would be smoking a pack a day already and not only is the cost just ridiculous but having to plan everything around my smoking is no fun, I never thought it would change my life so much.
Although he is really determent to succeed I don’t think he will be successful.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:31 PM

G_H will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jürgen View Post
When I asked him if his new girlfriend of three months who doesn’t smoke has anything to do with it. Not really dad, although I enjoy smoking, I never thought I would be smoking a pack a day already and not only is the cost just ridiculous but having to plan everything around my smoking is no fun, I never thought it would change my life so much.
Good luck and best wishes whatever the outcome. Many people have quit, several studies reveal it takes several attempts before quitting completely.

Last edited by G_H; 12-31-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:43 PM

Rory is on a distinguished road

Your son is quitting and we have a new smoker in the family. My brother and his family are visiting us for New Years and as us adults lit up after dinner my 17 year old nephew take out a pack and does the same.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:34 AM

Marbs4ever is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rory View Post
Your son is quitting and we have a new smoker in the family. My brother and his family are visiting us for New Years and as us adults lit up after dinner my 17 year old nephew take out a pack and does the same.
What did your kids think about their smoking cousin?
Old 01-01-2020, 09:18 AM

Rory is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Marbs4ever View Post
What did your kids think about their smoking cousin?
They haven’t said anything about it to me at least. He is the oldest of the cousins and since he got his ears and eyebrow pierced last year, definitely the coolest of them according to my kids.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:40 AM

Brendan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Years resolution in reverse

I met up with my best friend last night for dinner and he had brought his 18 year old son Bob. After dinner I excused myself and headed out for a smoke and to my big surprise Bob also gets up and follows me. As we both light up I say, didn’t know you smoked Bob. I have just started a couple of days ago he said, dad thinks I am a fool for doing so but he smoked for like 35 years or so and I told him it now was my turn.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:37 PM

Nina the Smoker is on a distinguished road

Hopefully trying to quit helps him find out how great smoking is.

I smoke at least 2 packs a day, but every few months I make a point of going 24 hours without a cigarette. It is agony but I am pretty sure the feeling when I light up my first cigarette is the best feeling humans are capable of experiencing. The whole experience is a great way of "renewing my vows" as a smoker.

Whenever someone I know is struggling to quit smoking I tell them about this. They are in an incredibly blessed position. They have put in a whole bunch of suffering and now are able to reap the reward as soon as they give in and smoke.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:56 PM

PallMalllover is on a distinguished road

My resolution is to smoke as much as possible and enjoy every minute of it.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:36 PM

marlbororob89 is on a distinguished road

I think this can work both ways - there are those that do want to quit and then there are those that "publicly" says to everyone and anyone to look good for someone or somebody that they want to quit and don't really mean it.

You have to really know the person and determine if they really mean it or not.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:24 AM

Jürgen will become famous soon enough

It has been two weeks now that my son has quit smoking and up till yesterday I thought he was doing alright, sure he is chewing nicotine gum continuously but that was it. Last night when I past his room where he was studying I smelled smoke. So this morning at breakfast I asked him what was going on, he sheepishly takes out his pack and tells me he quit quitting and smokes again. He lasted even shorter than I thought he would.