Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New(ish) smoker?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2019, 10:50 PM
Entry Member

theexpress9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New(ish) smoker?

Hey all

Currently debating if I should give in and just start smoking regularly.

A little background...

- Smoked my first cigarette when I was 13. I'm 28 now. Stole a knockoff Marlboro Red from my grandmother. Have generally had an interest in smoking since I've been young, but not for any "it's cool looking" or "peer pressure" reasons. I had this deep urge (probably best described as a craving) then and acted on it when I had my first opportunity.

- I've dabbled with them here and there (very, very occasionally) since. I can't remember exactly when I bought my first pack, but any time I did, I usually threw them out after smoking one or two out of guilt. I have on and off interest in smoking, but am usually too cheap and lazy to act on that interest.

- Currently on my second "run" of smoking somewhat "regularly" (very weak by most of your standards, maybe one or two cigs every few days). My first run was a couple years ago when I smoked about a half a pack over a few month period. That ended when I developed a gum infection from an issue unrelated to smoking that required surgery. That spooked me to stop. I again had an ongoing interest in smoking, but was again too cheap or lazy to act on it. I had a Grade A major hankering for a cigarette while I was at work earlier this year. I powered my way though it (I'm so closeted that I didn't want to bum one off a coworker, partially for image reasons and partially for this back and forth I've been contemplating, I didn't want to open that "door" while at work). In September, I decided to just buy two packs of Marlboro Reds. Currently halfway through my second pack.

- The past few days (thanks to being off from work), I've been smoking slightly more (2 cigs a day vs one every few) and have been caving to cravings, mostly out of boredom.

- After my first smoke at 13, I was diagnosed with a chronic disease where smoking -- as with most diseases -- opens up higher long term risks to that disease.

I've gone back and forth between just going for it more regularly and avoiding it at all costs. I've been lurking on the site the past few weeks enjoying many of your stories and, admittedly, a little bewildered by others (#youdoyou). Looking for some advice or thoughts on the situation or seeing if anyone had a similar story or situation.

TIA

EDIT: Forgot to mention that now I am on my second pack, I have gotten much more comfortable/confident with the whole smoking process and really been inhaling and exhaling much more/better than I had ever done before. About to go out and smoke my third tonight...

Last edited by theexpress9; 12-29-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:23 PM

Mark1150 is on a distinguished road

If you have a medical condition then stop. As far as addition goes go to https://www.mdedge.com/familymedicine/article/62944/hooked-first-cigarette
Old 12-30-2019, 08:05 PM

Dajohns11 is on a distinguished road

While markís perspective is certainly a valid one, smokers tend to be risk takers and have come to the conclusion that the pleasure from smoking outweighs the risks. In a world where the majority of talk about smoking is overwhelmingly negative, sites like this are one of the few public sources where people explain what they get out of smoking. And based on many of these comments and my own experience this is a pretty awesome habit. To me the enjoyment outweighs potential risks, but itís a matter of personal choice.

If you let your guard down and start smoking whenever you feel like it, then your intake will likely increase and will become a regular habit..