Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Future of Smoking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2019, 08:44 PM

G_H will become famous soon enough
Default The Future of Smoking

Want the forum to weigh in on what the future of smoking will be....

My kids say that young people are still smoking, it's just gone underground.

Vaping is getting a bad rap....all kinds of article coming out about lung infections.

And some states are banning menthol (AAAHHHH! That affects me, big time).

Would like to hear your opinions.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:33 AM

CandiR will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by G_H View Post
Want the forum to weigh in on what the future of smoking will be....

My kids say that young people are still smoking, it's just gone underground.

Vaping is getting a bad rap....all kinds of article coming out about lung infections.

And some states are banning menthol (AAAHHHH! That affects me, big time).

Would like to hear your opinions.
My son (he's 10) is used to people smoking around the house, and it doesn't seem to bother him. He's asked questions about it, but at this point, I don't think he's too interested in trying it. That's fine with me.
My 6 year old niece is pretty much the same way...she doesn't bother any of us about our smoking, but she's already asked her mom (and me) when she's going to allowed to smoke. This one's going to be trouble. LOL!
The menthol ban would really affect my aunt and cousins (they all smoke Newports), but we live close enough to New Hampshire that it's not going to be a problem. We all go up there for cheaper cigarettes anyway.

I think I remember reading in another post that you've got grandchildren...What's their attitude toward smoking?

Last edited by CandiR; 12-02-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:34 AM

Number 7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Smoking has been around since the dawn of time and will continue to be around, however, awareness of the consequences associated with smoking will continue to be front and centre, as will new medical evidence and findings, which, as far as I'm concerned, is a good thing.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:57 AM

Beth74 will become famous soon enoughBeth74 will become famous soon enough

Iím the mother of an 18 year old smoker and a 16 year old non-smoker. Iím not sure smoking combustible cigarettes will be something people still do legally in 10 years. Among my generation (Iím 45) there are nowhere near as many smokers as when my parents were 45, and for my daughter there are not as many combustible cigarette smokers now as when I was 18. So there is a shrinking block of smokers to create political consequences for anti smoking politicians.

In 20 years weíve gone from smoking sections to essentially not being able to smoke indoors in public places. My daughter is getting ready to go to college and most US colleges have even banned smoking outdoors on their property. Menthol cigarettes are being banned. FDA is talking about dropping nicotine levels in combustible cigarettes to non-addictive levels (which means none).

We are on the verge of another prohibition. Cigarettes as we know them will be available underground and will have to be consumed in private. The only thing opposing this trend is the tax revenue states have grown accustomed to from selling legal cigarettes. At some point that will be the only thing that gets politicians attention.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:45 AM

Kathy G will become famous soon enough

It seems today most vape. I tried it but it just isn't the same.... as for the the future of "real smoking" it seems to be declining, with us smokers being shunned from everywhere (but here). We cant smoke indoors almost anywhere anymore the banning of menthols too...banning from smoking in our own cars... what next banning us from smoking in our homes?? Its just sad. Isn't it our own personal choice?? I know there are a lot of people that start or stop smoking every day, hopefully the stopping doesn't outweigh the starting.
Sorry for the little rant....
Old 12-05-2019, 06:11 AM

Marlboroman39 is an unknown quantity at this point

Iím not sure. Smokers are stigmatized and viewed as lepers. Vaping is now getting a bad rap too. Schools are brainwashing kids about how bad smoking is and government is raising taxes on cigarettes to the point theyíre pretty expensive. Cigarettes are one of the few things the law of diminishing returns doesnít apply to but for some reason government overreach wants to take a huge portion of tax revenue away by way of schools and taxation. Until the government can realize tax revenue from tobacco is going away, itís just gonna get harder and harder for cigarette smokers in the future, however it appears that revenue will be replaced by marijuana revenue as it becomes legal around the country. I plan on sticking it out with my cigarettes as long as possible.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:33 PM

jmurray01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Considering the UK isn't far behind Australia when it comes to tobacco laws, I would say in around 10 years I think cigarettes will be bordering on illegal and in 20 they almost certainly will be.

It is depressing and by the sounds of it America isn't much different, which surprises me!

If you ask me it is insanity that marijuana is now legal so you can get high but not smoke a regular cigarette. What's next, banning coffee??
Old 12-07-2019, 05:27 PM

marlbororob89 is on a distinguished road

I think a lot of this is going to vary by area and your part of the world and it's not something I'm worried about right now.

Here in WA State, pot is legal and stores are popping up almost everywhere it seems, vaping is growing among a variety of ages and there is a definite divide in smoking in the more working class area of Eastern Washington (where we live) and the higher tech industry of Western Washington (Greater Seattle area).

I think the biggest concern now is the Menthol Ban that is being pushed in areas of the US and if that goes first, then it might be time to get concerns, but, until something happens, I'm not going to stress about it.