Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » What Sealed the Deal for You?

What Sealed the Deal for You?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2019, 05:53 PM

KWSmoker is on a distinguished road
Default What Sealed the Deal for You?

We were all attracted to smoking at some point in our lives, that’s why we’re all here- Curious about that pivotal moment in your experimenting phase where you knew the experiment was over, you got a smile on your face and accepted and embraced the inevitable that you had found something that made being alive so much better and became committed.

For me i wanted to be a smoker like my grandfather and those around me my age who were beginning to smoke daily- Of course the first couple were not what I expected but I persevered sort of knowing there was a pot of gold if you will on the other side- Initially it was the nicotine euphoria that kept me coming back - After I began smoking more regularly it was the much needed breaks to focus alone on a cigarette which was a pleasant surprise- Another surprise was that I was beginning to enjoy the taste of the tobacco- I quickly had an affinity for full flavors and really started to like the bolder flavor as I smoked the cigarette closer to the butt end - After that, the cravings that started but then became more frequent were irresistible- So for me, it was the growing pleasure I derived from several components of cigarette smoking, but the cravings sealed the deal and started my coming back several times a day- Of course I liked the bad boy image of the risky behavior and realized that smoking cigarettes was an all encompassing activity that I would not refuse myself - Then I smiled and accepted it as the package was complete!

Also curious with respect to men vs women and I agree with what I’ve read that the deal is sealed for men by the nicotine addiction, women more with the psychological aspect of smoking

Last edited by KWSmoker; 10-06-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:56 PM

docmarlboro is on a distinguished road

I can’t really say that there was a seal-the-deal moment. When I was very young I knew I wanted to be a smoker. I remember hiding in the bathroom reading in detail the cigarette ads. Preselecting my brand, memorizing tar and nicotine numbers. Decided I wanted to be a camel filters smoker (highest tar and nic content in ads) and I only wanted to smoke cork tipped cigarettes a REAL man’s cigarette. I practiced inhaling air. I used to sit around smokers and deeply inhale their second hand smoke wondering if I was getting addicted. I had dreams of adult me and he was a smoker. I remember one dream: I drove a black mustang. Stepped out of it with a cigarette in my mouth, cork filter. In my shirt pocket was a pack of reds. I thought it was odd they weren’t the camel filters i yearned to smoke. I Tried smoking when I was 12. Hid in a bathroom farthest from the bedrooms. Lit it up. Tasted nothing like i expected. Nicotine hit my brain and the world spun around. I got scared and flushed it after one drag. I stumbled...STUMBLED back to my bedroom got in bed and thought ‘this is amazing’. I smoked an odd cigarette here and there. I was a ‘good kid’. Got As, hung out with the AP crowd, Ivy League acceptance. Nobody could know about my guilty desire plus I was convinced my mom would have killed me. After I got my license I would take cigarettes from my mom and go driving. I remember feeling my feet tingle as I smoked. It was bliss. When I went to college I knew it was time to commit. Smoked camel lights for a couple months before graduating myself to camel filters. I remember bracing my self for a harsh experience but it was SO SMOOTH. I wasn’t ‘addicted at this point’ and knew I had to change that. I started smoking first thing in the morning not because I needed it but because I knew I had to to get addicted. My sophomore year in college is when I really noticed I was addicted. Buying and smoking cigarettes regularly. Rearranging my schedule to light up. I didn’t try a Marlboro red til after college graduation. I LOVED them. Camel changed their blend and the rest is history.
So long story short, me becoming a smoker was rather planned and calculated. I feel like I was born to be a smoker and I just went with it.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:19 PM

Good background- Glad you shared that- I think this post may bring further dimension to what we know about other posters thus far and what they’ve already shared- I concur, I also set out with a plan to be a smoker, but was taken by how much there was to actually enjoy with smoking once I started
Old 10-06-2019, 09:29 PM

RitaR will become famous soon enough

I grew up in a smoking household so I had been inhaling second hand smoke all my life. I think because of that I loved how the smoke felt in my lungs when I inhaled that first time. Then seeing the exhale flowing out from my lips was so cool. Those two things sealed the deal for me. 22 years later I still love the way smoke feels in my lungs and Iím still enjoying watching my exhales. It hasnít gotten old.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:07 PM

Dajohns11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KWSmoker View Post
We were all attracted to smoking at some point in our lives, thatís why weíre all here- Curious about that pivotal moment in your experimenting phase where you knew the experiment was over, you got a smile on your face and accepted and embraced the inevitable that you had found something that made being alive so much better and became committed.

For me i wanted to be a smoker like my grandfather and those around me my age who were beginning to smoke daily- Of course the first couple were not what I expected but I persevered sort of knowing there was a pot of gold if you will on the other side- Initially it was the nicotine euphoria that kept me coming back - After I began smoking more regularly it was the much needed breaks to focus alone on a cigarette which was a pleasant surprise- Another surprise was that I was beginning to enjoy the taste of the tobacco- I quickly had an affinity for full flavors and really started to like the bolder flavor as I smoked the cigarette closer to the butt end - After that, the cravings that started but then became more frequent were irresistible- So for me, it was the growing pleasure I derived from several components of cigarette smoking, but the cravings sealed the deal and started my coming back several times a day- Of course I liked the bad boy image of the risky behavior and realized that smoking cigarettes was an all encompassing activity that I would not refuse myself - Then I smiled and accepted it as the package was complete!

Also curious with respect to men vs women and I agree with what Iíve read that the deal is sealed for men by the nicotine addiction, women more with the psychological aspect of smoking
It took me a while to get used to the taste, it was almost as if someone had flipped a switch - suddenly the taste got much better. That removed the last negative and made it easier to focus on my newfound pleasure!
Old 10-07-2019, 08:08 PM

Yeah funny how that happens- I was similar as everything began to click and fall in place- Then like you said, a switch and I enjoyed the taste from then and moved to full flavors
Old 10-08-2019, 12:20 AM

marlborosmoker is an unknown quantity at this point

For me there was no experimenting phase I was ready to be a smoker when I bought my first pack at 16. I did not really have to get used to smoking either and was inhaling from the start. I did, however, purposely smoke more and more each day and after about a month was smoking close to a pack which I considered to be what you had to be smoking to call yourself a smoker. I did start to feel the need to smoke right about that time when I was home where my parents were smoking and staged a getting caught scenario. Was I already truly addicted to nicotine or just addicted to the idea that I was I donít know but I had reached my goal. I now was a smoker like the rest of my family.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:31 AM

ThatGuyJason is an unknown quantity at this point

My experience was a bit different. I was never enticed by smoking, nor did I ever really dream of becoming a smoker.

My first couple of cigs were disgusting to me and I couldn't see what people saw in smoking. Eventually, I started to think, oh well maybe this isn't so bad. The turning point for me was definitely when I started to actually enjoy the taste of a cig and the feeling of inhaling smoke, after this, my intake started to grow and the rest is history.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:56 AM

Marbrook is an unknown quantity at this point

The buzz sealed it for me. By the time the buzz went away, I was already hooked.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:40 AM

marlborojur is on a distinguished road

I started smoking socially when I was 15 and a couple of my friends became smokers and I would bum a cigarette here and there. I liked smoking well enough but was not sure If I really wanted to be a full fledged addicted smoker.
I was 17 when was ready to embrace smoking and bought myself a pack of my own and started smoking regularly and let addiction take over. It wasnít long before wanting to smoke became needing to smoke and cravings were now part of my life.

Last edited by marlborojur; 10-08-2019 at 05:42 AM.