Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Interaction with newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2019, 11:43 PM
Entry Member

EllnCnwy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interaction with newbie

I'm 20 + year smoker who enjoys smoking and smokes with consideration of others but without guilt. This Summer while taking AM & PM Coffee/Cig Break had occasion to chat with Summer Employee who obviously was trying smoking for first time. Girl was presumably 16. Had trouble lighting cig with match. She was puff and blow smoker. I chatted with Her and She told Me She was curious.

Would other ignore such a person or encourage/discourage ?

Eileen
Old 09-07-2019, 05:05 AM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about

If I were in that situation I would attempt to be neutral not to be either a smoking advocate or discourage them. Answer questions if asked but otherwise allow them to make their own decisions.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:53 AM

RitaR will become famous soon enough

If someone is showing interest, I offer to help. But I donít push.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:08 PM

CandiR will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by EllnCnwy View Post
I'm 20 + year smoker who enjoys smoking and smokes with consideration of others but without guilt. This Summer while taking AM & PM Coffee/Cig Break had occasion to chat with Summer Employee who obviously was trying smoking for first time. Girl was presumably 16. Had trouble lighting cig with match. She was puff and blow smoker. I chatted with Her and She told Me She was curious.

Would other ignore such a person or encourage/discourage ?

Eileen
Hi Eileen, and welcome!
I've helped a few people along, but I'd wouldn't encourage or discourage, and let her decide for herself.
My mom sometimes runs into the same situation where she works. They take in some high school kids as interns during the summer. If they smoke, no one says anything.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:20 AM

NLsmoker is an unknown quantity at this point

Last year one of the interns from the police academy was assigned to me for six weeks. The first week he would join me when I went out for a cigarette but not smoke himself and when I offered him a cigarette he politely declined. On the Monday of the second week we had patrol duty and as the weather was pretty warm I decided not to wear my jacket and he did the same and I saw him take a pack of Camel Blues out off his jacket and put it in his breast pocket.
When we took a break and I lit up so did he and it was very obvious he was pretty new at smoking. I did not say anything about it, it was his choice so I did not encourage him or tell him to he should be inhaling as he was not doing it yet. During the day he did not always light up when I did, maybe 2/3 times only.
By the end of the six weeks he was smoking almost as much as I did and was now inhaling properly.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:13 PM

Jonas is an unknown quantity at this point

Two years ago I was in the same situation. My oldest sisterís eldest, Klaus, came to help out at the farm for the summer so that first my brother Karl and his family could go on summer holiday and when they returned my wife and I could go on summer holiday. Klaus was 17 at that moment and like your summer employee he was very new at smoking. That he was a smoker was a big surprise for me to see because like my sisterís other children before he was always complaining about us adults always smoking around them.
I asked him why he was smoking now and he said he was curious what it would be to like be a smoker and was trying it for the summer. I tried to discourage him and told him that if he would smoke for all the eight weeks he was at the farm he would be a smoker for the rest of his life. Of course like many other beginner smokers he did not believe me, oh I will stop before I am addicted do not worry uncle Jonas.
Klaus is 19 now and still is a smoker.