Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » Got Caught Smoking Stories

Got Caught Smoking Stories

View Poll Results: Did you ever get caught smoking as youth smoker?
Never got caught, no "close calls." 9 22.50%
One or more "close calls." 13 32.50%
Got caught, but wasn't punished (please comment). 13 32.50%
Got caught once. 1 2.50%
Got caught multiple times. 4 10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2019, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice
Red face Got Caught Smoking Stories

This thread is intended for those of us who started smoking as minors. Did you ever get caught smoking, by your parents or teachers, or both? If you did, how much trouble were you in? Did you have any "close calls," and why was it that you weren't actually caught?

I'm prefacing my stories with a story of someone else getting caught. When I was in 8th grade, a girl in my class got caught by our homeroom teacher (also our English teacher). She was a nice girl and I liked her (not romantically, there was another girl in class I was romantically attracted to at the time, who wasn't a smoker). The school year was almost over, so it must've been June 1978. The school day just ended and I went to my locker, just outside the homeroom classroom, and inside the room this girl was crying, while the teacher, who had caught her smoking in the girl's restroom, was yelling at her, and laying the guilt trip on thickly. I specifically remember her yelling "How are your parents going to feel?"

In hindsight, it's surprising she didn't get caught sooner. Everyone knew she smoked; she reeked of it whenever she returned from going to the restroom. If I noticed it, surely the teachers did too. Another thing was back then the smoker girls were usually the ones always chewing gum (to mask their breath) and thus were always being reprimanded for chewing gum in class, and that was her too (oddly, the smoker boys didn't chew gum all the time; they didn't bother to mask their breath and many kept their packs in their shirt pockets, where they were easily seen).

That episode left an impression on me (obviously, since I still remember it so well), though not the one you might expect. You would think that it would have dissuaded me from starting smoking. It didn't -- I smoked my first cigarette about a month later. Rather, I was determined that I would never get caught smoking at school the way Karen did. So I never smoked in the boys restroom, even though "everyone" did it.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 08-16-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice
Default Caught by School Librarian

Now for my stories. I'm not sure if the first should be considered getting caught or a "close call"; the second (next post) is a "close call."

I stuck to my "rule" of not smoking in the boys room. But in 9th grade, and this was before I was smoking "regularly", one day in Spring 1979, after school was over, I sat on the window sill of the school library to smoke a Salem cigarette. The library was on the basement floor, so the window sill was just the right height from the ground to comfortably sit. Furthermore, even though this was middle school (our two middle schools were 7th-9th grades), so far as I knew nobody ever got into trouble for smoking outdoors. Many kids smoked in front of the school and even on the front steps of the school. So I didn't expect any trouble. Well, half way through the cigarette, I heard the sound of the window being opened, and immediately dropped the cigarette to the ground and covered it with my shoe. The librarian yells at me: "I know what you're doing. Get out of here!" Needless to say, I took the hint and got out of there!

I was apprehensive all of the next day, expecting to be called to the principal's office. I didn't assume I was in the clear just because there was no call to my home. My parents were away on a vacation to Europe, and my older sister was away at college. My maternal grandmother was staying at our house to take care of me, who didn't speak English very well. It was possible the school could've called and she didn't understand. In fact, when I had gotten home she was a little upset with me for having come home later than she expected. Anyway, because I thought I might be called to the principal's office at any time, my classmates knew something was bothering me and asked about it. All I told them was that I was in trouble with the librarian. One girl even remarked "what did you do, hit her with a book?" I never was called to the principal's office. So, either the librarian hadn't recognized me (I had my back to her) and thus couldn't report me, or she let me off the hook, maybe because she didn't actually see me with the cigarette, or because it was outdoors.

After that incident, I went without smoking for about two months, the longest I had ever gone without smoking since my first cigarette in July 1978.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 08-16-2019 at 08:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-14-2019, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Default "Close Call" at Home

Now for the "close call". Nobody else in my immediate family smoked, so trying to get away with secretly smoking inside the house was challenging. But it wasn't impossible. The house, which was "colonial" style, had a full attic, with a staircase leading up to the attic. The door to the attic was in my bedroom, so I could go up the attic any time with nobody knowing. In fact, since my room was half the size of the other bedrooms, I had treated the attic as though it were an "extension" to my room. So, after I had started smoking, I used to go up to the attic to smoke. It was an ideal location, so long as nobody had reason to go to the attic while I was up there smoking. So, one day I was up in the attic smoking, and I heard my mother's voice from my bedroom, calling for me. My usual habit was to sit at the top of the stairs while smoking, and it was a straight staircase, so if my mother opened the attic door, I would've been caught for sure, being in direct line of sight, not to mention being given away by the secondhand smoke. Fortunately, she didn't think of looking for me in the attic, and left the room. After a few minutes, I came down from the attic, changed my shirt, and brushed my teeth, and went downstairs to find my mother, asking what she wanted (that, btw, I don't remember). I'm sure she must've asked where I was and that I probably told her I was in the attic. Given how often I smoked in the attic, it's remarkable I had only one "close call," let alone never having actually been caught!
Old 08-14-2019, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Just a polite reminder that this thread and poll are intended for those who started smoking as minors (under age 18), so if you started as an adult (age 18 +) please don't vote in the poll, but you are still welcome to comment.

I thought that "getting caught" stories might be amusing, and some might even be funny, looking back now as adults. Please share your stories if you have them. Thanks!

Last edited by masklofumanto; 08-14-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:27 PM

mm63221 is on a distinguished road

Back in 75 I was 12. While I always thought smoking was sexy for ladies, one day my mom came home smoking More 120s. I was just captivated by that long brown cigarette. Needless to say, one day she was busy in the house, my dad at work and my brother gone(it was summertime I believe) and I snuck one of her Mores, went to my bedroom and tried it. Being my very first More, I coughed, got dizzy, etc. But after that, I'd sneak one of hers every now and then.

One day I rode my bicycle to the store and bought a pack of Mores(kids could do that then). I guess I didn't hide them too well cause she found them and started smoking them. I couldn't find my pack and found out she had them.

She never really said anything to me about smoking. After she found out I smoked More 120s, she would offer me one when she lit up. About 2 yrs later, she switched to a 100s brand(Vantage I think). But I stuck with my Mores. She would smoke mine every now and then but never went back to them. She never ever said anything about me smoking, just accepted it.

Here 44 yrs later and I still smoke More 120s.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:46 PM

docmarlboro is on a distinguished road

Never got caught. Wish I had would’ve made life a lot easier
Old 08-15-2019, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mm63221 View Post
About 2 yrs later, she switched to a 100s brand (Vantage I think). But I stuck with my Mores. She would smoke mine every now and then but never went back to them. She never ever said anything about me smoking, just accepted it. Here 44 yrs later and I still smoke More 120s.
So your mother switched to Bette Davis' brand. Bette Davis, who still smoked 100 cigarettes a day even late in life, had switched from Lucky Strike non-filters to Vantage. She lived to 81, passing away in 1989 from a recurrence of breast cancer. Btw, the only other person I've ever heard of who smokes 100 cigarettes a day is John Cougar Mellenkamp.

Did you ever try Vantage? I did once, about 20 years ago. Vantage is the only low tar cigarette I'd ever tried that I thought was any good.

I tried a pack of More cigarettes once, it must've been in 1981 because it was the red pack (before my senior year in high school I had only smoked menthols); around the same time I had also tried a pack of Saratoga, also a 120s brand. To me, 120s were too impractical for a guy to smoke, as the pack was too long to fit in either shirt or pants pockets. You didn't find them inconvenient to carry around?

Btw, over 300 views so far and nobody got caught and in trouble? That defies belief!

Last edited by masklofumanto; 08-15-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:52 PM

PallMalllover is on a distinguished road

I think for most of you, the first time you got caught is also the last time because now the cat is out of the bag. Also, I voted that I never got caught. Probably is more like nobody confronted me. I am sure somebody knew.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

What I had in mind in putting "caught multiple times" in the poll, and it might be a generational thing, is getting caught smoking in school (i.e., restroom, locker room, etc.). Whether or not the "cat is out of the bag" already wouldn't make a difference.

I can tell you that every time I went to the restroom in middle school and high school, there were boys smoking in there. Some might have gotten caught, possibly more than once. From 9th grade onwards, some boys would smoke in the locker room -- I did it myself a few times while in high school. Getting caught smoking in the locker room was very unlikely -- the gym teachers never went into the locker room when we were changing.

Another possibility is having gotten caught by a parent, told to stop, invariably continue smoking in secret, and getting caught again. This is, I think, a likely scenario for those who started particularly young.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 08-15-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:25 PM

marlbororob89 is on a distinguished road

I can't answer this, since I started later in life, but, I've heard a lot of the good and bad experiences on fellow smokers getting caught by the parents and or family members and more than a few of my friends and co-workers remind me that I missed out on all the fun of sneaking smokes, etc, etc.

Oh well, that's life (flick ..)