Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Duty Free Cigarettes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2019, 09:59 AM

CrownGirl is on a distinguished road
Default Duty Free Cigarettes

Over the weekend, my boyfriend and I were in the Dominican Republic for my older sister's wedding. When we left on Tuesday, we had an opportunity to purchase cartons of duty free cigarettes for $38/each. He bought 1 carton of Newports, and I bought 1 carton of Marlboro Reds(unfortunately they are the regular length not the 100s). When we got home, we both noticed they were not as strong as what we buy from our local gas Station/convenience stores(Speedway & 7-11). Also, they burn much faster so you don't get as much time to savor the flavor

We live in Illinois and have one of the highest prices in the USA. One pack can run almost $9 so a carton for $38 sounded like a bargain. Has anyone here purchased Duty free Cigarettes and found they are not as strong/flavorful? Or did we get cartons that were just old inventory?
Old 08-08-2019, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by CrownGirl View Post
Over the weekend, my boyfriend and I were in the Dominican Republic for my older sister's wedding. When we left on Tuesday, we had an opportunity to purchase cartons of duty free cigarettes for $38/each. He bought 1 carton of Newports, and I bought 1 carton of Marlboro Reds(unfortunately they are the regular length not the 100s). When we got home, we both noticed they were not as strong as what we buy from our local gas Station/convenience stores(Speedway & 7-11). Also, they burn much faster so you don't get as much time to savor the flavor

We live in Illinois and have one of the highest prices in the USA. One pack can run almost $9 so a carton for $38 sounded like a bargain. Has anyone here purchased Duty free Cigarettes and found they are not as strong/flavorful? Or did we get cartons that were just old inventory?
You should check where they were manufactured. It might not have been the U.S., and that could account for the difference you noticed. Back in the 1990s when I traveled a lot in Latin America, the Marlboros I bought while traveling were made by Philip Morris in Venezuela. Philip Morris also makes cigarettes in Switzerland, though those I think would more likely be found in Europe than in the Caribbean.

Last time I bought duty-free, it was in the airport leaving Puerto Rico. Those were U.S. made and I noticed no difference. That was several years ago (since I started making my own, there's been little point in buying cigarettes at duty-free shops to bring home anymore).

You did get a good deal, btw. On August 3, when I was in the airport in Puerto Rico, a carton of Marlboros duty-free was $53.99 a carton. I took note of the price because the last time I bought them, several years ago, they were around the price you just paid (and if you bought a five-carton box, the fifth carton was free).

Last edited by masklofumanto; 08-08-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:40 PM

Beth74 will become famous soon enoughBeth74 will become famous soon enough

Last time I traveled internationally a few years ago we each bought a carton of B&H as we were leaving the US. I remember paying about $50, which was still a bargain compared to local prices. They were US made, and tasted identical to what we buy at home. Despite the low prices, we didn’t shop duty free coming home as the only US brands they had in Paris were Marlboro and Camel, and they were European made so the reds were similar to what’s sold in the US as golds.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:08 PM

Heike will become famous soon enough

I've always been apprehensive about so-called duty-free cigarettes. Price wise, there not that much more inexpensive than in the smoke shop that I normally use. I only travel once or twice internationally every year, to Germany. Going to Germany, my allowance is already taken up, bringing my sister her Newport 100's. Coming home, if I bought duty-free, they'd be EU cigarettes, which are lighter than their US counterparts, so I don't bother.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:44 PM

Kyle Scott is on a distinguished road

Visited St Martin last year and as the Marlboro’s were US made happily brought back a 5 carton pack from Duty Free.