Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » Converting From Menthol to Regular (or vice versa)

Converting From Menthol to Regular (or vice versa)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2019, 10:55 AM

Brock67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Converting From Menthol to Regular (or vice versa)

Thinking back to when I started smoking, I tried both kinds, but soon decided that I preferred menthol. I guess it just seemed to have more flavor for me at the time. And that's the way things stood for maybe 15 years or so. But then, almost imperceptibly, I found myself preferring the regular flavor and switched over. It has been that way ever since. Now, whenever I smoke a menthol cigarette, it's just a bit much and overpowering, like I'm biting into a York Peppermint Patty or taking a big swig of Scope mouthwash.

I did a search and there are numerous threads from the past on why people prefer one style over the other. But there is not much about people reexamining the situation and changing their minds on the subject. It's almost like politics, people choose one option and that's just the way it is, come hell or high water. Maybe my taste buds have changed, I don't know. It hasn't been that way with me for foods and beverages. I don't think I'll ever get tired of pepperoni pizza, for example. Just kind of curious if this has happened to anyone else. Or maybe it went the other way around for you, migrating from regular to menthol somewhere down the road.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

I started on menthol cigarettes. My first cigarette was a FF Salem, and when I started smoking regularly I smoked FF Newport for almost two years. I hadn't even tried a non-menthol cigarette until one day in 1981 I bought a pack of Marlboro Reds instead of Newport Greens. I can't remember why, it might simply have been curiosity about why Marlboros are so popular. Anyway, although Marlboro didn't become my brand then (I settled on FF Winston), I never went back to smoking menthol cigarettes. The times I've had menthol cigarettes since then they seem like smoking a peppermint stick, though I tolerate Newport Greens better than other menthol brands.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:22 PM

RitaR is on a distinguished road

I started on regulars because that was what I could pilfer. A couple of years into it, I got to smoke a Salem and I liked that menthol twist, but continued with my pilfering of regulars. A few months later, I got to smoke my first B&H Premium menthol and I was convinced. It was about three months after that when I fessed up to my parents. Although I dabbled in some regulars after that, B&H menthol became ďmyĒ brand for about 17 years. I went mostly full time menthols towards the end of college.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:44 PM

Oh, yes, B&H Menthol and I are long acquaintances. I understand their appeal. That's what I smoked for 15 years, before I changed to B&H Regular. I never knew anyone growing up who smoked them. I really hadn't settled on any brand until someone offered me one at a party in college. I was impressed with them and immediately bought some for myself at a convenience store on the way home later that night. And the rest is history, or so I expected.

Sometimes here and there when a store might not have the B&H Menthol, I would get the regulars, instead. Until the point came when I had to acknowledge to myself that my preference had flipped, and I noticed myself treating the B&H regulars as Plan A, and the Menthol as Plan B.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Brock67 View Post
Oh, yes, B&H Menthol and I are long acquaintances. I understand their appeal. That's what I smoked for 15 years, before I changed to B&H Regular. I never knew anyone growing up who smoked them. I really hadn't settled on any brand until someone offered me one at a party in college. I was impressed with them and immediately bought some for myself at a convenience store on the way home later that night. And the rest is history, or so I expected.
When I was in high school, a girl a year older than me who lived across the street smoked B&H. I didn't try B&H until I was 23, but really liked them. They were the only 100's that I ever liked. So I would occasionally buy a carton of B&H for a change. The last time I bought them, at least 10 years ago, and it was only a pack that time, I was taken aback by the price. I've never tried B&H Menthol.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:27 AM

Heike is on a distinguished road

I think menthol is something you either love or hate. Whenever my sister, a menthol smoker, and I, a regular smoker, get together, we always have one of each other's cigarettes. And are always convinced that we're already smoking what we like, and have no desire to switch. But I do keep a pack of her menthols in my freezer, for when I'm sick. I still don't like the toothpaste taste, but at least I'm able to feed the cravings.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:47 AM

jmurray01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Heike View Post
I think menthol is something you either love or hate. Whenever my sister, a menthol smoker, and I, a regular smoker, get together, we always have one of each other's cigarettes. And are always convinced that we're already smoking what we like, and have no desire to switch. But I do keep a pack of her menthols in my freezer, for when I'm sick. I still don't like the toothpaste taste, but at least I'm able to feed the cravings.
Yes I also smoke menthols when I am ill, or if I have allergies during the summer a menthol helps clear my sinuses! Not sure the doctor would recommend it but I know it works.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Smoking menthols while ill is precisely how they were marketed by Kool before menthols were "popularized" in the 1950's (Kool was the only national brand of menthols until Salem and Newport were introduced in 1956 and 1957, respectively).

I've never switched to menthols while ill. If I can breathe through the nose, I'll continue to smoke; if I can't, I won't.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 07-14-2019 at 11:47 AM. Reason: correction
Old 07-13-2019, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
The last time I bought them, at least 10 years ago, and it was only a pack that time, I was taken aback by the price. I've never tried B&H Menthol.
Amen to that high price tag on a pack of B&H. They're mighty proud of them, not giving them away at a bargain price, that's for sure.

I should just go ahead and write a country or blues song about B&H and me.

First, you win my heart and become a trusted friend through the good times and the bad times.

Then, you start price gouging me when you know I'm gonna be there for the long haul - whether menthol or regular.

Finally, you either quit producing them or became a counterfeiter, selling something different under the same name.

Last edited by Brock67; Today at 08:49 AM. Reason: duplicate posts merged
Old 07-13-2019, 05:53 PM

RitaR is on a distinguished road

I guess this isnít true for everyone, but for me, I get a much more intense throat/lung hit with a menthol and thatís why I like them better.