Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Smoking at the office

View Poll Results: When you smoke at work, what do you take with you to the smoking area?
I take a pack, and share if somebody bums off me 26 61.90%
I take a pack, but donít share if somebody asks 0 0%
I only take a cigarette (or 2) and a lighter so I canít share 4 9.52%
Ha! I can smoke at my desk/work station 2 4.76%
I donít smoke at work 10 23.81%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2019, 07:51 PM

Reckless will become famous soon enough

I am fortunate enough to be able to take breaks whenever i need one while at work. When someone usually asks for one i share. Most of the people at work smoke lights of some variety and usually when i pull out my FF bensons i kid them "dont waste it" lol.

The only time i tell them im out is when i am down to just what i need for my day +1.

Last edited by Reckless; 07-11-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:46 PM

AllWhiteSmoke will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Heike View Post
The last time I worked in an office setting was in the 70's and early 80's. Back then most of us had an ashtray, an open pack, and a lighter on our desks, and smoked very regularly. If I were in an office setting today, I'd just take a cigarette or two and my lighter with me on smoke break.
Ha! How I wish you could still do that today.

Although I obviously canít smoke in the office and am free to take pretty much as many smoke breaks as I want, there are some very rare days when I can work from ďhome.Ē We have a smaller office in the building so on days when we have a big client group coming in and if Iím not amongst those dealing with them and have regular work to do, Iíll just tell everyone Iím going to go home and get my work done there so I can focus. But since my commute home is fairly long and made much more with afternoon traffic, I almost always just go to my auntís house a couple miles away instead. Sheís retired and is home during the day most of the time but even if she isnít, she gave me a key to let myself in whenever. But best of all - and the reason I go there to ďwork from homeĒ - is that her house is smoke friendly and she has an upstairs office room she never uses. I go up there, do my work and chainsmoke the entire time and it is GREAT! Iíll even smoke a cigar while I work if I have one on me and every time I do my work over there, I keep thinking about how great itíd be if I could do it every day. Working ainít so bad when you can smoke the whole time!
Old 07-12-2019, 04:56 AM

Beth74 will become famous soon enoughBeth74 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AllWhiteSmoke View Post
I take a pack but no one who goes to the smoking area behind the office building ever bums cigarettes from others in all the time I've been working there. Everyone always has their own cigarettes. Sometimes people forget their lighters but I've never seen or heard anyone bumming a smoke.
I work in a large-ish building (about 12 different companies) and at lunch thereís usually 5 or 6 people at the smoking shelter at any given time. There is a guy from another company who every so often at lunch will come out to the smoking shelter, pat his pockets likes heís looking for his cigarettes, and then say he forgot them in the office and can anybody spare one. I can see this happening once, but I think Iíve given him cigarettes 3 times after doing the same thing, and I know others who have as well.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:11 AM

Brock67 is an unknown quantity at this point

I work from home now, so I don't really have this happen now. But previously I was working out of an office in a downtown setting. The bottom floor was a pizza restaurant, the top floor was our offices. We'd take the rear stairwell down to a door leading to an alley behind the building. No foot traffic from the general public, just my coworkers and I, and the young waitresses from the pizza place.

It was rare that somebody would get down there and not have any. I could count on one hand the number of times I gave one to somebody who was out. It certainly didn't happen often enough to become a nuisance. We would sometimes trade cigarettes with each other if somebody was smoking a brand that you might not have ever tried before. But that's different.

No, the most common crisis situation was when somebody's lighter stopped working. I'd let them use mine. 9 times out of 10 the offender would be one of those no-name cheap kind you get from a gas station that don't last very long and the metal cap breaks off. Better to spend an extra $0.50 on a Bic, I say, at least they don't fall apart.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:12 AM

Boaz is an unknown quantity at this point

There are a couple of other smokers in the company I work for but somehow I usually am by myself when I go to the smoke shelter. Only around lunch time will there be other smokers. I have never been asked for a cigarette but a couple times for a light.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:42 PM

marlbororob89 is on a distinguished road

I work at a manufacturing company and there is a blend of mfg. workers and office personnel that all smoke in the same area and it's a good way to get to know the whse employees and vice versa, they get to know us better in a more casual environment.

When I started this new position a little less than 2 years ago, I was a bit nervous at first at how they would accept me as a smoker, since I didn't know most of the people that worked there, but, the transition went pretty smoothly and it hasn't been a problem.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:15 AM

MarlboroRedGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm lucky enough to work from home most days and travel a good bit as well so I smoke whevere I like. My company asks me why I stay in cheap motels like Super 8s and I always say "I like to save the company money" when in reality its because they are one of the few chains that still offers smoking rooms.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:10 PM

marlbororob89 is on a distinguished road

Today was one of those workdays where smoking outside was rather difficult and frustrating and it didn't either rain or snow and it was sunny all day.

Wind gusts were close to 35-40 mph in the greater Spokane area and stuff was blowing everywhere in the whse yard, so lighting a cigarette was difficult at times for some people, because trying to stay upright and blocking the wind with your left hand was quite difficult at times and we even have an overhang that we can smoke under.

Somehow, we made it through this gusty day and didn't have to take cover in our cars to smoke, which was considered at times.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:41 AM

Sergey is an unknown quantity at this point

I smoke 2-3 cig at the row at every smoking break and sometimes use nicotine patch to survive for the next smoking break
Old 08-06-2019, 07:57 AM

marlboro is an unknown quantity at this point

When I started working for this company I could still smoke at my desk but of course that has all changed. I can take as many smoke breaks as I want and often end up sparring with fellow smokers so taking a break is not always a waste of time.