Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » Did you ever get a non smoker to start smoking

Did you ever get a non smoker to start smoking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2019, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by jmurray01 View Post
Yes, it is an acquired taste! I can't tempt you to a Chivas Regal then??
No. But you could easily tempt me with some Courvoisier Cognac.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:43 AM

AllWhiteSmoke will become famous soon enough

Back in college, I was dating a girl who was a non-smoker. She wasn't fond of smoking at all which sometimes made her make snarky remarks whenever I lit up a cigarette. I told her before we started dating that I had no intention of quitting any time soon so she knew going into the relationship that if she was going to date me, she had to deal with me being a smoker. Only a handful of times did she give me some serious shit for it and those times usually occurred when she was already in a bad mood because of other unrelated things she was dealing with on a given day.

Anyway, she had told me that one of the reasons she didn't like smoking was apparently because her mom used to be a smoker when she was very, very young. She said she didn't have any memories of seeing her mom smoke, but she did have memories of absolutely despising the smell. One evening, I'm over at her place. We ate dinner and I stepped out on her back porch for a cigarette. She'd had a long day of school and work and was both exhausted and frustrated with some work-related stuff. A couple minutes after I light up, she comes outside and sits in a chair next to me. I exhaled a drag and some of it wafted towards her. She scrunched her face and waved her hand in the air and said, "Oh come on!" in a half-playful, half-serious sorta tone. I smiled and apologized.

She said something like, "I really just don't understand how you can enjoy smoking. Nothing about it seems pleasant." I just asked her, "I mean, have you even tried smoking?" As I suspected, she said she hadn't. To my honest surprise, she then said, "Screw it, let me try one." I laughed, assuming she was joking, but she insisted again. I shrugged, handed her a cigarette from my pack and lit it for her.

It was amusing since she had never smoked before. Of course, her first several drags weren't inhaled, but I was shocked at her reaction. The reaction to her first drag was to be expected -- she made a face like, "what the hell is this?" But without me saying anything, she took another small drag and then made a more curious face like, "Okay, I guess it's not THAT bad..."

I explained inhaling to her and she coughed after a couple of drags and put the cigarette out, but once again to my honest surprise, she admitted, "Well, that wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be."

She never became an actual, regular smoker while we dated BUT she did develop at least a slight fondness for it. She'd occasionally ask me for a cigarette when I lit one. After a couple months she bought me a pack on her way to meet me and bought herself one as well, but I'm pretty sure I ended up smoking more cigarettes from her pack than she did. Maybe the most amusing moment came when we went on a trip that was an 8 hour drive. I drove first, then we switched. I dozed off for a bit and when I woke up, I looked to my left and she was smoking a cigarette while driving.

Not sure if she ever became a regular smoker, but it was pretty funny to watch a pretty staunch non-smoker learn that smoking wasn't as disgusting as she thought!
Old 06-28-2019, 01:58 PM

George1 will become famous soon enoughGeorge1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AllWhiteSmoke View Post
Back in college, I was dating a girl who was a non-smoker. She wasn't fond of smoking at all which sometimes made her make snarky remarks whenever I lit up a cigarette. I told her before we started dating that I had no intention of quitting any time soon so she knew going into the relationship that if she was going to date me, she had to deal with me being a smoker. Only a handful of times did she give me some serious shit for it and those times usually occurred when she was already in a bad mood because of other unrelated things she was dealing with on a given day.

Anyway, she had told me that one of the reasons she didn't like smoking was apparently because her mom used to be a smoker when she was very, very young. She said she didn't have any memories of seeing her mom smoke, but she did have memories of absolutely despising the smell. One evening, I'm over at her place. We ate dinner and I stepped out on her back porch for a cigarette. She'd had a long day of school and work and was both exhausted and frustrated with some work-related stuff. A couple minutes after I light up, she comes outside and sits in a chair next to me. I exhaled a drag and some of it wafted towards her. She scrunched her face and waved her hand in the air and said, "Oh come on!" in a half-playful, half-serious sorta tone. I smiled and apologized.

She said something like, "I really just don't understand how you can enjoy smoking. Nothing about it seems pleasant." I just asked her, "I mean, have you even tried smoking?" As I suspected, she said she hadn't. To my honest surprise, she then said, "Screw it, let me try one." I laughed, assuming she was joking, but she insisted again. I shrugged, handed her a cigarette from my pack and lit it for her.

It was amusing since she had never smoked before. Of course, her first several drags weren't inhaled, but I was shocked at her reaction. The reaction to her first drag was to be expected -- she made a face like, "what the hell is this?" But without me saying anything, she took another small drag and then made a more curious face like, "Okay, I guess it's not THAT bad..."

I explained inhaling to her and she coughed after a couple of drags and put the cigarette out, but once again to my honest surprise, she admitted, "Well, that wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be."

She never became an actual, regular smoker while we dated BUT she did develop at least a slight fondness for it. She'd occasionally ask me for a cigarette when I lit one. After a couple months she bought me a pack on her way to meet me and bought herself one as well, but I'm pretty sure I ended up smoking more cigarettes from her pack than she did. Maybe the most amusing moment came when we went on a trip that was an 8 hour drive. I drove first, then we switched. I dozed off for a bit and when I woke up, I looked to my left and she was smoking a cigarette while driving.

Not sure if she ever became a regular smoker, but it was pretty funny to watch a pretty staunch non-smoker learn that smoking wasn't as disgusting as she thought!
You handled it in the right way. You never pushed it on her. You helped only when she showed an interest.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:35 AM

Dave1991 is on a distinguished road
Default Getting a non smoker to start

I called my wife a social puffer when we first got together in 1991, as she did not inhale cigarette smoke. Never sure why since she actually purchased a pack that she kept in her apartment. By our 3rd date, she was on her way to becoming a full fledged smoker. As has been mentioned previously, I did not force it on her. In fact, I told her she would not be able to stop. Fast forward to may 1, 1993, our wedding day, she had her first official 1 pack day, and it grew from there. She is happily around 25 to 30 per day now, and loves it as much as I do.