Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Going regular?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2019, 05:44 AM

sortofsmoker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going regular?

Hey,

I've been smoking on and off for a while now and weeks of smoking are often followed by a while (weeks or even month) of not smoking. I was always facinated by the idea of beeing a smoker on the other hand I was also happy that I could enjoy a smoke when I want but didn't had to if I didn't.

Recently I started to get hard cravings over the last months and I really think about giving in and going regular now.

But the life gets tougher for smokers, prices get higher, my work place is non-smoking and my gf also doesn't smoke. That said, I feel a little odd to think about starting in my 30s. So it's a heart vs brain thing.

I'm not sure if I'm looking for encouragement or wise words not to start, I just feel the need to talk about that and I think this board might be a good place.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

The decision is entirely yours.

It sounds like you know what you'd be getting yourself into, and that you've weighed both sides of the decision. The question is whether the enhancement to your quality of life to be gained by regularly smoking is worth the downsides. Only you can decide.

Since you mentioned your girlfriend, two questions: (1) How does she feel about your smoking? and (2) Is your relationship with her something you can see as being life-long?

Realistically, if you're experiencing hard cravings, you'll probably give in. If you do, it's likely that there will be no going back.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
Since you mentioned your girlfriend, two questions: (1) How does she feel about your smoking? and (2) Is your relationship with her something you can see as being life-long?
She don't want me as a daily smoker, she knew that I was smoking occationally so it's not totally news to her.
Yes, I the relationship is serious.

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
Realistically, if you're experiencing hard cravings, you'll probably give in. If you do, it's likely that there will be no going back.
That's what I think too.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

Given your answers to my questions about your girlfriend, I think you ought to do your utmost to resist. If you can't, you better figure on having a forthright conversation with her and trying to get her to understand. I don't think it's an insurmountable problem, but it'll depend on her attitude.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:01 PM

Hi masklo,

I really appreachiate your answers. You're right, I definitly have to talk with my gf how i currently feel. And in the meantime I need to get clear what I really want.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:12 PM

George1 will become famous soon enough
Default Deeper

I hope you understand that every time you light up a cigarette you are one step closer to being locked in for the rest of your life. This is not necessarily a bad thing. There is a lot of pleasure to be had with smoking.
Old Today, 02:50 AM

A little update:

I gave in earlier this week, at least a bit. Although my cravings got less at the end of the week, they piled up immediately on monday at work. I eventually had a cigarette after lunch which brought me through the day. Same on Tuesday with an additional afternoon one.

Yesterday I had no urge to smoke at work and later I was at my aunts birthday so I couln't smoke in the afternoon. In the evening I rewarded myself with 2 cigs though I smoked with my gf - well I was smoking, she was watching.

So I've been smoking at least one cigarette daily the last days but only when I wanted. It didn't escalated to a needed if I couldn't which is basically the state I'd like to keep. Although I know the addiction will grow.
Old Today, 05:25 AM

Beth74 will become famous soon enoughBeth74 will become famous soon enough

When I went from smoking occasionally with friends to being a regular smoker I wasnít dating anybody so didnít have your challenge. But mask is right - it can change your relationship. When I met my husband one of the things that brought us together was he was a smoker. When we would go out to a restaurant there was no debate about whether to sit in the smoking section or not (when restaurants still had one). After a movie first thing Iíd do when we stepped out of the theater was light up - he would too. He had no problem with me smoking in his car or apartment because he did too. When youíre a regular smoker you will have needs you have to fill that youíre gf needs to be understand - there are times when the desire for a cigarette is greater than your desire to focus on her. She needs to be ready for that.

Originally Posted by sortofsmoker View Post
Hi masklo,

I really appreachiate your answers. You're right, I definitly have to talk with my gf how i currently feel. And in the meantime I need to get clear what I really want.