Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Humorous Cigarette Ads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2019, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough
Default Humorous Cigarette Ads

I thought a thread on humorous cigarette ads might be entertaining. Some were intended to be humorous, others weren't, but are now. I've also found some clever spoofs on classic cigarette ads (like the first one, below) and pictures or posters that aren't actually ads at all.

This spoof takes the Camel "More Doctors Smoke Camel" ads of the 1950's, with the spoof being who's in the "ad."
Old 06-10-2019, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

This 1970's Camel Filters ad is intentionally humorous. It would be more timely today if Grace Strong's "radically different cigarette" was an e-cigarette (her "radically different cigarette" looks like a cigar, but I think a joint is implied).

Old 06-10-2019, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

This is not an ad, but I think we've all said this at one time or another (which doesn't mean that it isn't true, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow):

Old 06-10-2019, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

The Silva Thins ad was intended to be humorous in a clever sort of way, but its explicit sexism makes it funny (or offensive, you be the judge). The Virginia Slims ad counters with reverse sexism ... it's probably the funnier of the two, IMO.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

The Benson & Hedges ads of 1970's were intentionally humorous, some more of than others. This is one of the funnier ones, I think.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

I think Nurse Bonnie ought to have thought twice before asking that question!

Old 06-10-2019, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Original Winston ad on the left, spoof on the right. Is the spoof funny? I'm not sure, what do you think? Thumbs up or down?

Old 06-10-2019, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

This cigar ad is more dumb than it is humorous. Putting "don't light it" in the large print on top is supposed to sell the product?

Old 06-10-2019, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Given what American culture was like at the time of this Chesterfield ad, I surprised this even made it into print!

Last edited by masklofumanto; 06-10-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

In this spoof of a 1970's Camel Filters ad, even the camel is smoking a Camel! Do you think it's an 'after sex' smoke?

Last edited by masklofumanto; 06-10-2019 at 05:31 PM.