Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Occasional smoking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2019, 03:53 PM

JohnDoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Occasional smoking

I increasingly see articles and governmental advice citing research that suggests occasional smoking is almost as bad as regular smoking. (At extremes, one is left with the impression that just 1-3 cigarettes might almost be as bad as 20 pack years.)

I am unsure what to make of this - I'm sure even occasional smoking does carry its risks but I also wonder if this isn't being over-hyped just to stop people starting at all (slippery slope and all that).

Similarly, they are now saying a glass of wine = 3 cigs and what with all the pollution around, how does a few cigs a year measure up against that?

How do people define occasional smoking anyway? It could be anything from <5 per year to a couple every weekend.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:00 PM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

I thought that wine (in moderation) was supposed to be healthy. I don't think the same is true for cigarettes. You can't really trust alot of the things you read. I am jealous of those who can smoke in moderation. Seems it would be much more enjoyable that way.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:20 PM

JohnDoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DancesWithWerewolves View Post
I thought that wine (in moderation) was supposed to be healthy. I don't think the same is true for cigarettes. You can't really trust alot of the things you read. I am jealous of those who can smoke in moderation. Seems it would be much more enjoyable that way.
Yes and no, it takes a few of feeling nauseous before it becomes properly enjoyable each time. Have often felt envious of people who can enjoy it regularly without worrying about long-term risks...