Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Random Smoking Stories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2019, 12:52 AM

ThatGuyJason is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Random Smoking Stories

Figured it would be cool to have a thread where we can share random Smoking stories that don't necessarily merit different threads, you know, things that happen while enjoying a cig.

For example, today I had a meeting with a potential client, he chose this one place for drinks that had a terrace for smokers. So we sat outside and had some drinks and almost right away, he pulls out a pack and was like, hope you don't mind if I smoke. I essentially reply by taking out my own pack and proceed to light up and tell him, only if you don't mind if I smoke either.

He was amused and told me that I was one of the few that had actually joined him for some smokes and he liked that. He made a game out of it and wanted me to keep up with him, but he'd understand if I didn't because not many can keep up with him. So I pitched him what we were doing while going cig after cig. Long story short, we each ended up going through a pack in the couple hours we were there. Seeing as he was very amused, he closed the deal with me and told me we had to repeat it at some point.

So yeah, smoking helped me close a deal and probably make a friend. Who says smoking doesn't lead to anything good.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:42 AM

Beth74 will become famous soon enoughBeth74 will become famous soon enough

Several years ago had to go to Tampa to deal with a sick aunt. Tampa airport has outdoor smoking areas near the gates - itís a little bit like a cage at a zoo but at least you can smoke past security. Packed a carton in my checked bag but forgot to grab a fresh pack for my purse. Got to the gate and only had 4 cigs left in my pack but figured it would get me through until I got on the plane.

Flight ended up being delayed for hours. I had smoked through my 4 and still had at least an hour to go before estimated take-off. There was a flight attendant out in the smoking area as I finished my last cigarette. I asked her if any of the shops in the terminal sold cigarettes.

She said ďYes but theyíre stale and way overpricedĒ and handed me one of her Newport 100s. I donít typically enjoy menthols, but I took it. She turned out to be working the flight I was on. She shared a couple of more cigarettes with me while we talked. She then got up to go in because it was getting close to the time for them to prep the cabin. She had 4 cigarettes left in her pack and gave me the rest of the pack when she left.

As I boarded the plane she gave me a big hello and asked if those got me through the rest of the wait. If only all airline customer service was this good!
Old 05-26-2019, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

Nice story, Beth.
I will bet the airline wasn't United, though.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:37 PM

CDevMatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beth74 View Post
Several years ago had to go to Tampa to deal with a sick aunt. Tampa airport has outdoor smoking areas near the gates - it’s a little bit like a cage at a zoo but at least you can smoke past security. Packed a carton in my checked bag but forgot to grab a fresh pack for my purse. Got to the gate and only had 4 cigs left in my pack but figured it would get me through until I got on the plane.

Flight ended up being delayed for hours. I had smoked through my 4 and still had at least an hour to go before estimated take-off. There was a flight attendant out in the smoking area as I finished my last cigarette. I asked her if any of the shops in the terminal sold cigarettes.

She said “Yes but they’re stale and way overpriced” and handed me one of her Newport 100s. I don’t typically enjoy menthols, but I took it. She turned out to be working the flight I was on. She shared a couple of more cigarettes with me while we talked. She then got up to go in because it was getting close to the time for them to prep the cabin. She had 4 cigarettes left in her pack and gave me the rest of the pack when she left.

As I boarded the plane she gave me a big hello and asked if those got me through the rest of the wait. If only all airline customer service was this good!
I had to go to San Diego last week for a conference. We had a 1 hour, 20 minute layover in Denver before flying on to Cleveland. The only places to smoke at the Denver airport are outside the main terminal. It was too far to go to get out and make it back through security before the next flight boarded. So not only was I at the San Diego airport for almost two hours prior to flying (and nowhere there past security to smoke), I had a two hour flight to Denver and then an almost four hour flight to Cleveland. It was almost 10 hours between cigarettes and I was having a very rough time. Why is it such a big deal to include a smoking area closer to the planes and past security? We can have our cigarettes and lighters on us, so that’s not the issue. It doesn’t make sense. Sure, not as many people smoke now and people smoke less and are used to going a while without, but there are plenty of people who would be happy to light up in a caged outdoor area while waiting for a flight.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:25 PM

G_H is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by CDevMatt View Post
I had to go to San Diego last week for a conference. We had a 1 hour, 20 minute layover in Denver before flying on to Cleveland. The only places to smoke at the Denver airport are outside the main terminal. It was too far to go to get out and make it back through security before the next flight boarded. So not only was I at the San Diego airport for almost two hours prior to flying (and nowhere there past security to smoke), I had a two hour flight to Denver and then an almost four hour flight to Cleveland. It was almost 10 hours between cigarettes and I was having a very rough time. Why is it such a big deal to include a smoking area closer to the planes and past security? We can have our cigarettes and lighters on us, so thatís not the issue. It doesnít make sense. Sure, not as many people smoke now and people smoke less and are used to going a while without, but there are plenty of people who would be happy to light up in a caged outdoor area while waiting for a flight.
I remember when planes had a smoking section in the back....as soon as the "No Smoking" light went off, everyone lit up. Even the flight attendants smoked, when things were slow they would light up in the galley area.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:51 PM

CDevMatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G_H View Post
I remember when planes had a smoking section in the back....as soon as the "No Smoking" light went off, everyone lit up. Even the flight attendants smoked, when things were slow they would light up in the galley area.
I remember when smoking was allowed on flights, although I was pretty young the last time I was on a plane that allowed smoking. I was 12, and I didnít start until I was 13. But about 10 years later, I clearly remember sitting in an airport restaurant with my uncle waiting for an international flight, and they allowed smoking. Of course Iím showing my age. Iím 42 now and restaurants havenít allowed it in years. I can understand no smoking in public places with non-smokers and Iím fine with not allowing smoking on planes. But really, give us a secure place to smoke away from others between flights!
Old 05-27-2019, 11:43 AM

Beth74 will become famous soon enoughBeth74 will become famous soon enough

Actually, it might have been. It was either Continental before the merger or the ďnewĒ United right after the merger. Canít remember.

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
Nice story, Beth.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Beth74 View Post
Actually, it might have been. It was either Continental before the merger or the “new” United right after the merger. Can’t remember.
I could believe that it was the pre-merger Continental, which was a good airline under CEO Gordon Bethune. I noticed that once the merger took place, even in the transitional period when there were still flights under the Continental name, that the level of service was already sinking to United's standards of mediocrity.

I had assumed, obviously erroneously, that your "several years" ago wasn't quite that long ago (the merger was in 2010). Today, United is hell bent on becoming a Spirit Airlines clone. I just flew United on 5/16 and 5/25. The check-in agent for the return flight was uninformed on no less than three of the airline's policies! It's a sad commentary when the passenger knows the airline's policies better than its employees.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 05-27-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:05 PM

Bill is on a distinguished road

I remember when every seat on an airplane was the smoking section.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
Nice story, Beth.
Wasnít southwest either. They would have beat her ass. Lol