Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Random Smoking Stories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2019, 01:10 PM

greensmoke is on a distinguished road

I don't like it when non smokers join me while I smoke. I want to be around a likeminded person.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:59 PM

marlbororob89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Being a late starter to smoking, I've run into more than a few classmates from high school, college and a few ex-girlfriends that only knew me as a non-smoker and when they found out that I smoked, there have been some mixed reactions - shock, surprise and some were indifferent and weren't surprised that I had started.

Telling my parents was the most difficult decision I faced and once I was able to get through that "nerve wracking" experience and get their support, I haven't really worried about what others say about it and I don't hide it from anyone.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:00 AM

Brock67 is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently read "Moby Dick" by Herman Melville. It is an unusual book in many ways, but engrossing. Call it an acquired taste, sort of like smoking.

Anyway, Chapter 30 is called "The Pipe." The key passage is:

"Some moments passed, during which the thick vapor came from his mouth in quick and constant puffs, which blew back again into his face. 'How now,' he soliloqized at last, withdrawing the tube, 'this smoking no longer soothes. Oh my pipe! hard it must go with me if thy charm be gone! Here I have been unconsciously toiling, not pleasuring, -- aye, and ignorantly smoking to windward all the while; to windward, and with such nervous whiffs, like the dying whale, my final jets were the strongest and fullest of trouble. What business have I with this pipe? This thing that is meant for sereneness, to send up mild white vapors among mild white hairs, not among torn iron-grey locks like mine. I'll smoke no more --'

"He tossed the still lighted pipe into the sea. The fire hissed in the waves; the same instant the ship shot by the bubble the sinking pipe made. With slouched hat, Ahab lurchingly paced the planks."

I've thought about this passage since then. Captain Ahab seemed to be renouncing worldly pleasures which might interfere with his obsession in hunting the whale. I won't spoil the ending, but it didn't go well for him. That's what abandoning the pleasures of smoking will get you in exchange for a single-minded pursuit of perfect health.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:16 AM

sortofsmoker is an unknown quantity at this point

I just had a nice sighting in my lunch break.

On a parking lot near the train station around my office was a young woman (in her 20s) that dropped off her mom on the train station. She was wearing a fitness suit, so it looked like she was running or plan to do so. Anyway out of teh blue she was dangling a cigarette between her lips and was searching for a lighter in her bag. Soon after she took heavy drags so I'd guess she couldn't smoke for a while. That was enough for me to sit down the next bench in the pack near by and lit myself.

Her mom was unloading the car with her suitcases and stuff and I couldn't really see if she finished the cigarette or continued in the car, but soon after she drove away. The mom walked to the platforms but suddenly looked back and walked in the opposite direction on a bench infront of the station. She started to dig in her bag and eventually fumbled out a pack of cigarettes. Soon she was lit and happily puffing her first drags. Looked like she has a secret to her daughter as it seems she clearly wanted her to know she smokes (still/at all).

After I finished my cigarette, I had back to the office, as my break is also limited. It was a nice and unexpected catch though as you wouldn't expect them smoking as they rather looked like a 'sporty type'.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:31 AM

RitaR will become famous soon enough

A year or so ago, I was traveling home from NYC via Amtrak. I was taking advantage of the “smoke stop” in Washington, DC and got to chatting with a woman who was about my age. She is an actress/writer from Raleigh now living in NYC. As we were finishing up our cigarettes and about to re-board, I mentioned that Richmond is sometimes a smoke stop, too. She explained that she was out of cigarettes and had to bum the one she was smoking (Marb Red, I think). I told her I would spot her one if she didn’t mind menthols. She thanked me and said that she actually preferred menthols.

At Richmond we were both standing in the crowded aisle waiting to off load; she was a few people behind me and I heard her explain to another passenger that she was getting off only to smoke. The other passenger asked if she had concern for her voice given her profession. She replied that a smokey voice is actually a benefit. Once outside and after she had exhaled her light up drag, she smiled and said, “ahh...love that menthol”. It must have been a shorter stop than usual, plus we waited a long time to get off the train so we both were only about half done with our cigarettes when we were ordered back on board. I took one last big drag but she took a huge double pumper and I swear she must have inhaled to her toes. I could hear the inhale above all the other noise going on. After that, I did not get a chance to talk to her again. She was very nice and wonderful smoking buddy.

I’ve searched YouTube for the GEICO commercial she described she was in but no luck. And for any of you guys wondering...yes, she was gorgeous.

Last edited by RitaR; 08-09-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:10 PM

PallMalllover is on a distinguished road
Default Wow

Originally Posted by RitaR View Post
A year or so ago, I was traveling home from NYC via Amtrak. I was taking advantage of the “smoke stop” in Washington, DC and got to chatting with a woman who was about my age. She is an actress/writer from Raleigh now living in NYC. As we were finishing up our cigarettes and about to re-board, I mentioned that Richmond is sometimes a smoke stop, too. She explained that she was out of cigarettes and had to bum the one she was smoking (Marb Red, I think). I told her I would spot her one if she didn’t mind menthols. She thanked me and said that she actually preferred menthols.

At Richmond we were both standing in the crowded aisle waiting to off load; she was a few people behind me and I heard her explain to another passenger that she was getting off only to smoke. The other passenger asked if she had concern for her voice given her profession. She replied that a smokey voice is actually a benefit. Once outside and after she had exhaled her light up drag, she smiled and said, “ahh...love that menthol”. It must have been a shorter stop than usual, plus we waited a long time to get off the train so we both were only about half done with our cigarettes when we were ordered back on board. I took one last big drag but she took a huge double pumper and I swear she must have inhaled to her toes. I could hear the inhale above all the other noise going on. After that, I did not get a chance to talk to her again. She was very nice and wonderful smoking buddy.

I’ve searched YouTube for the GEICO commercial she described she was in but no luck. And for any of you guys wondering...yes, she was gorgeous.
Gorgeous and she smokes menthols. My kind of woman. I just posted my story on why I started. I was 10 and watched a beautiful young lady smoking at a drag race and I was hooked. Guess I have always been a sucker for a beautiful woman who smokes. Smokers always catch my eye.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:16 PM

StatisticsJason is a jewel in the roughStatisticsJason is a jewel in the roughStatisticsJason is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by G_H View Post
I remember when planes had a smoking section in the back....as soon as the "No Smoking" light went off, everyone lit up. Even the flight attendants smoked, when things were slow they would light up in the galley area.
In 1978 I was a kid sitting with my mom in the smoking section of a plane. When the captain turned off the no smoking sign everyone in our section clapped and lit up. I remember the joy everyone felt around me. I'm telling you those were happier days.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:37 PM

PallMalllover is on a distinguished road

This was just a couple of weeks ago. Playing bingo at the county fair. The group across from us were smoking. Part of the group included a young man and his girlfriend. Both no older than 20 I guessed. The girlfriend was smoking and at first I thought she wasn’t exhaling. I didn’t want to stare, but I tried to look because I couldn’t believe a girl that young wasn’t exhaling. I finally noticed she was holding the smoke for what seemed like forever so I counted to myself a few times after she took a drag. Each time she held the smoke in her lungs for over 8 seconds. I was quite impressed. Does anyone hold it that long? I know we had a poll awhile back. I am a 3-4 second guy on most occasions.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:20 PM

marlbororob89 is an unknown quantity at this point

This actually happened this morning on my way to work and I decided to make a quick stop and grab a Coca Cola 20oz soda (needed the wakeup juice) at local convenience store and it's a rather busy store that sells a lot of soda, beer and cigs and when I was standing in line, there were a couple people ahead of me in line and the older gentleman in line asked the clerk for a couple of packs of Newports and instead of the clerk just grabbing the first packs he saw, he asked Kings or 100's and the gentleman said 100's and the clerk grabbed them and I thought, good customer service there and asking the question. The lady in front of me stepped the counter with her coffee and asked the clerk for 2 packs of Marlboro 100's and I briefly thought ….uh oh, this could go sideways if he grabs the wrong ones, but, the clerk was on his game this morning and asked her "Reds or Golds" and she said Reds and he grabbed the two packs and rang her up and when I stepped to the counter with my soda, I mentioned to him "good to see good customer service on brand selection" and he thanked me and I told the clerk to grab me 2 of the same packs as the lady and he rang them up with my soda and as a bonus for the compliment, he threw in a free Bic lighter.

Definitely made for a good start to the workday today and Coca Cola and Marlboro Reds definitely go well together.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

He must've been an experienced clerk. I would think that after a while, a clerk ought to know the right questions to ask. The free lighter in return for the compliment was a nice touch, though, and is good customer service. Is this store where you usually buy your smokes?