Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » Why do quitters have such strange mentality?

Why do quitters have such strange mentality?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2019, 05:57 AM

NerveInsulation is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why do quitters have such strange mentality?

So I smoked for 5 years, pack a day.
Then I got to where I was having problem breathing, I decided it was time to quit. That went on for 1.5 years and a couple weeks ago I smoked a few cigarettes. I decided maybe it wasn't for me. So for now, I do not smoke. I forget who wrote this but something about "Being a smoker who just isn't smoking right now". I am not about to tell myself I can never have another.

Anyways when I was one of those hard-charging quitters, I was on a "quit smoking" forum. I was not an anti, just a quitter.

Here are some of the weird mentalities I notice about the hardcore antis -

First, their biggest advocate is some guy who has never used tobacco in his life.

They seem to think smoking even a couple hits a day is every bit as bad as smoking a full pack. So does that mean a smoker might as well kill a pack a day instead of in moderation?

A few think cigarettes are evil yet have no problems smoking some 420. Either way aren't we breathing smoke?

Supposedly, nicotine is more addictive than some list of hard drugs combined. So if you have seen videos of people withdrawing from meth, crack, or whatever, it is sad. So I thought "Well if nicotine is worse, I should be in my front yard naked and flopping around like a fish out of water and squealing like a pig." None of that happened. Sure I went through the dizziness, tired, craves, whatever but never anything worthy of the show COPS.

Which brings me to -
Do not dare mention if you didn't struggle as hard to quit. BOY that pisses them off.

AND, when I did mention relapse, a few were acting like I caused THEM to relapse. Were they just "Quitting" vicariously through others? Maybe they are jealous that smokers or relapsers don't practice abstinence?

This is just the tip of the iceberg as far as the weird things that some quitters and even antis think. It took them jumping all over my ass about smoking before I woke up to see how nutty they are.

Why are they so strange and disturbed?
Old 05-05-2019, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by NerveInsulation View Post
This is just the tip of the iceberg as far as the weird things that some quitters and even antis think. It took them jumping all over my ass about smoking before I woke up to see how nutty they are. Why are they so strange and disturbed?
Because some people need to put others down so that they can feel superior.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:00 PM

NASGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

It's the same with anti people in general, looking down on smokers as if they're dirty, weak, and lesser beings. I don't understand the desire of people to judge and shame others for not adhering to their ideology.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:35 PM

Bill is on a distinguished road

We have way too much of this attitude today. Smoking is far from the only time this happens.

If you are politically "A" and you meet someone that is politically "Z", you are criticized for not agreeing with them.

If you choose not to drink, those that want to imbibe chastise you for not drinking with them.

If you eat meat, a hard core vegetarian will probably criticize you for eating meat.

I think you get the idea. There are far more than just these three areas where this happens. I am sure you can add more.

What the heck happened to the Mr. King quote, "Can't we all just get along!"
Old 05-06-2019, 05:40 PM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

I have quit other things on my own but tobacco is very addictive. I'd be pulling my beard out and acting even stranger quickly if I decided to quit right here and now.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:39 PM

George1 is on a distinguished road
Default Indifferent

When I was a non smoker, I couldn’t care less whether people smoked or not and never felt the need to go on an anti smoking crusade. I had no interest in taking up smoking until later in life. I just hit point where I wanted something new and different in my life. I took the plunge five and a half years ago.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:36 PM

kyle93 is on a distinguished road

I quit for about 4 months last year and got involved with some of the online quitting communities. There are definitely some preachy self-righteous people but I think most of them are just paranoid about going back to cigs. I do think they kinda have a point that one cigarette is as bad as a pack, because I re-started thinking I could just smoke a couple cigs every now and again to take the edge off and that definitely didn’t happen.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:08 AM

George1 is on a distinguished road
Default Quitters

I think some these critics put up this front because they know that they are just one cigarette away from relapse. I have been told by people who have quit that urge to smoke never completely goes away.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:38 AM

dag is an unknown quantity at this point

Both of my parents quit smoking last year and even though they were smokers for about 40 years themselves, they now are just about the nastiest antis around.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:22 AM

MarbSmkr is an unknown quantity at this point

Kyle- I have to agree with you, around 2 years ago I quit, was vaping and used nicotine lozenges to help. One night drinking with some friends, I thought one would help with the cravings- ended up smoking a few more that night and bought a pack the next morning. Took about a month to get back to a pack a day.

Originally Posted by kyle93 View Post
I quit for about 4 months last year and got involved with some of the online quitting communities. There are definitely some preachy self-righteous people but I think most of them are just paranoid about going back to cigs. I do think they kinda have a point that one cigarette is as bad as a pack, because I re-started thinking I could just smoke a couple cigs every now and again to take the edge off and that definitely didn’t happen.