Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RIP Benson and Hedges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2019, 10:08 AM

Beth74 has a spectacular aura aboutBeth74 has a spectacular aura aboutBeth74 has a spectacular aura about
Default RIP Benson and Hedges

I have a smoke shop that I buy my B&H 100s through every couple of months. Tell them I want 10 cartons a few days before I make the trip there and they get them for me. Itís not like Marlboros where they always have at least 10 cartons on hand.

Called yesterday to place my order. Guy told me Phillip Morris was changing the brand. Right now they are promoting Menthol 100s and kings in new packaging and look like theyíve discontinued the ďoldĒ B&H. Said he could probably find 10 cartons at his wholesaler now but canít guarantee it in the future.

I went to the B&H website and under products there was just king and 100s menthols with a cork filter. No mention of any other style.

So, what do people know about this? B&H have been harder to buy retail for a decade now, but is this the end?

Suggestions for another brand? I started with B&H and loved the full flavor non-menthol all white. Marlboros always taste like chemicals to me. I have bought Newport Red 100s a few times when I couldnít get B&H, and theyíre not bad, but didnít convert me to the brand. Havenít had a Winston since my husband smoked them 15 years ago. Any strong all whites on the market?
Old 04-28-2019, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

I had heard that Benson & Hedges (U.S.) was going to come out with a King size. I wasn't aware that the existing 100s was going to be changed.

If you're a menthol smoker, Salem Green is your best option, and it is still an all white cigarette. Here's the URL for a Youtube review from Nick the Smoker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0V_nqN1QHI -- btw, Salem's menthol is supposed to be Asian menthol. The first cigarette I ever smoked, back in 1978, was a full flavor Salem (personally, I like the look of the old pack design better).

Kent Classic has a white filter -- it's supposed to be full flavor, but I saw Nick the Smoker's youtube review of it some time ago, and he found it a bit on the mild side for a full flavor. It's only available in non-menthol (I don't know when Kent Menthol was discontinued, but it must have been a quite a long time ago). URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTLFE-7dyYE

Last edited by masklofumanto; 04-28-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:09 PM

F150Camelman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can this be true?

While Iím a Camel guy, I like to mix things up from time to time with a B&H premium. It is sad to think that B&H premium could be a thing of the past.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:17 PM

RitaR will become famous soon enoughRitaR will become famous soon enough

I have also been a long time B&H smoker and have not been able to locate the “old” style since the new ones came out. From what I understand, the old ones are still made just no longer in soft packs. However, I can’t find any. A good alternative is Virginia Slims full flavor ; they are very, very close in taste and sensation in both the menthol and non menthol varieties.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:18 AM

Beth74 has a spectacular aura aboutBeth74 has a spectacular aura aboutBeth74 has a spectacular aura about

Iíll have to try Virginia Slims - last time I had one was when I was first starting and a girlfriend smoked VS 120s. Whatís the pack look like for full flavor? I thought they only made lights.

Originally Posted by RitaR View Post
I have also been a long time B&H smoker and have not been able to locate the ďoldĒ style since the new ones came out. From what I understand, the old ones are still made just no longer in soft packs. However, I canít find any. A good alternative is Virginia Slims full flavor ; they are very, very close in taste and sensation in both the menthol and non menthol varieties.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:20 AM

Thanks, Mask. Iím not a menthol smoker, but my daughter just switched from Newports to Salem Green 100s. Iíll have one every so often and they are much better than other menthols.

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
I had heard that Benson & Hedges (U.S.) was going to come out with a King size. I wasn't aware that the existing 100s was going to be changed.

If you're a menthol smoker, Salem Green is your best option, and it is still an all white cigarette. Here's the URL for a Youtube review from Nick the Smoker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0V_nqN1QHI -- btw, Salem's menthol is supposed to be Asian menthol. The first cigarette I ever smoked, back in 1978, was a full flavor Salem (personally, I like the look of the old pack design better).

Kent Classic has a white filter -- it's supposed to be full flavor, but I saw Nick the Smoker's youtube review of it some time ago, and he found it a bit on the mild side for a full flavor. It's only available in non-menthol (I don't know when Kent Menthol was discontinued, but it must have been a quite a long time ago). URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTLFE-7dyYE
Old 04-29-2019, 06:35 AM

CandiR has a spectacular aura aboutCandiR has a spectacular aura aboutCandiR has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Beth74 View Post
Iíll have to try Virginia Slims - last time I had one was when I was first starting and a girlfriend smoked VS 120s. Whatís the pack look like for full flavor? I thought they only made lights.
My step-sister smokes Virginia Slims. They're not bad.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:20 AM

RitaR will become famous soon enoughRitaR will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Beth74 View Post
I’ll have to try Virginia Slims - last time I had one was when I was first starting and a girlfriend smoked VS 120s. What’s the pack look like for full flavor? I thought they only made lights.
White pack with dark red/burgundy stripe down the left front. 100s.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:52 AM

SamanthaD has a spectacular aura aboutSamanthaD has a spectacular aura aboutSamanthaD has a spectacular aura about

I'm a Virginia Slims smoker and I would definitely recommend them.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:11 PM

CDevMatt is an unknown quantity at this point

I started on Benson & Hedges Deluxe Ultra Lights Menthol 100ís when I was 13 because thatís what my mom smoked, so thatís what was available. Every now and then Iíd get something else off of someone else until I was old enough to buy. Then, for the most part, Iíve stayed away from menthols except a pack or the odd cigarette here or there. I canít even think of the last time I would have had a B&H. More than 20 years, probably. Never had a regular. Now I feel like Iíve been missing out!