Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Doctors who smoke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 06:45 AM

docmarlboro is on a distinguished road
Default Doctors who smoke

Just curious if anybody has a doctor who is also a smoker?
What would you think / how would you feel if you found out your doctor was a smoker?
Old 03-12-2019, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

I had a doctor who was an ex-smoker -- that was the one who I trusted as far as I could throw him (he's not my doctor anymore) -- the reason for that had nothing to do with smoking.

If I found out my doctor was a smoker? It's none of my business, so I wouldn't care. All I'd care about is his/her medical expertise and dealings with me. His/her personal life is irrelevant.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:11 AM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about

I know a couple of doctors who smoke. One is a fishing buddy who smokes while out on the boat and another is a neighbor lady who I see out having the occasional cigarette on her deck. I imagine there are more but professional pressure keeps them closeted.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:29 PM

Joe Eason is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an uncle, my fathers younger brother who is a doctor, my doctor actually and he smokes.
Of course at work he keeps it hidden but when we are together at his place or when he is at our place he smokes openly. When he saw me smoking he said welcome to the dark side Joe. As your doctor I have to tell you it is better if you quit but as a smoker I know you won’t.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:58 PM

docmarlboro is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Joe Eason View Post
I have an uncle, my fathers younger brother who is a doctor, my doctor actually and he smokes.
Of course at work he keeps it hidden but when we are together at his place or when he is at our place he smokes openly. When he saw me smoking he said welcome to the dark side Joe. As your doctor I have to tell you it is better if you quit but as a smoker I know you won’t.
How old is your uncle?

I do wonder how many doctors out there smoke. There is extreme pressure to keep it secret. I feel like we would be vilified it people/patients found out.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:22 PM

Bill is on a distinguished road

Growing up in the 50s, our family doctor was a pipe smoker.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

I recall in the mid-1980's, when I worked midnight shift in a hospital laboratory as a clerk, that one night a young doctor in his residency came into the hematology lab to use a microscope, and he had a lit cigarette in hand. Our rude lab supervisor, who was still fairly new, told him he couldn't smoke in the lab. What he didn't tell him was that directly across the hall was the lab employees lounge, where smoking was allowed -- the doctor could go in there to finish his cigarette and then return to use the microscope. So I told him, and then got a dirty look from the supervisor. That supervisor, btw, didn't last very long. After a few months he quit. That doctor today has a practice in a town pretty close to that hospital. I don't know if he still smokes (I wouldn't be surprised if he does).

Last edited by masklofumanto; 03-12-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:23 PM

SmokerFred is on a distinguished road
Default Smoking doctors

When I was growing up in the 1950s, our family doctor smoked a pipe and cigars. Later, in the 70s and 80s, my doctor smoked cigarettes, but quit sometime in the 80s. I worked at a hospital in the 90s and knew one doctor, out of a staff of about 100, who smoked. However, I suspect there were others who were closeted since smoking was looked down upon by then. Interestingly, I knew an oncologist who chewed tobacco and would often break out a chew at social gatherings, I think mainly to gross people out.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:39 AM

Joe Eason is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by docmarlboro View Post
How old is your uncle
My uncle is 40 something not sure how old exactly, my dad is 51 and my uncle is quite a bit younger.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:52 PM

marlbororob89 is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't seen any doctors smoking, but, I suspect they do and I have seen their male and/or female assistants and those helping out at the front desk step outside for one when I've visited the doctor and most of them know that I smoke, so, it's not a big deal to me if they smoke.