Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

British Cigarette Brands

View Poll Results: What British Cigarette Brands Have You Smoked?
Benson & Hedges (U.K.) 8 57.14%
Lambert & Butler 3 21.43%
Mayfair 2 14.29%
Regal 3 21.43%
Richmond 1 7.14%
Embassy 3 21.43%
Rothmans 3 21.43%
John Players/Superkings 5 35.71%
Other (Vogue, Dunhill, Silk Cut, Sterling, etc.) 6 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2019, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough
Default British Cigarette Brands

We have more than a few members here from the United Kingdom, so I figured a thread on British cigarette brands might be interesting. If you've ever smoked a British brand, whether you're in the U.K. or had just visited, please vote in the attached poll and comment. The poll will allow multiple choices, in the event you've smoked more than one brand. I've decided to stick this thread for a while because it may take some time for the poll to get a decent sampling.

The only one I smoked was Benson & Hedges, full flavor gold-pack, king size.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 03-09-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:03 PM

lambertandbutler is on a distinguished road
Default Lambert and butler from first one

The first cig I had as kid was Lambert and Butler King Size. Had tried others like regal, embassy or bensons but liked lamberts most as tasted best and good hit of nicotine. Liked the look of the silver packs and that was brand that most other lads smoked when was at high school.

All the men in my family smoke L&B, dad, brothers cousins etc and I probably always will. Still got a L&B silver umbrella that got years ago by collecting coupons from the packs. Hardly ever buy from shop and unbranded packs as get foreign or duty free most time and like that still in branded packs and people can see that I am a lamberts smoker.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:57 AM

ukfella35 is an unknown quantity at this point

My first smoke as a kid was Regal, still smoke them today. Had phases when i have smoked Embassy and Lamberts, but still revert to Regal as my main brand. I suppose your first brand is what got us to enjoy cigs, so it makes sense really.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:21 PM

greensmoke is on a distinguished road

If I had trouble buying smokes myself, I'd sneak my mom's B&H menthol 100's, like the ultra lights or whatever. The full flavor I like these days. Hey a cig is a cig in the end.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by greensmoke View Post
If I had trouble buying smokes myself, I'd sneak my mom's B&H menthol 100's, like the ultra lights or whatever. The full flavor I like these days. Hey a cig is a cig in the end.
Did you notice much of a difference between British B&H and American B&H? Did you try the Kings or the Superkings (100s)? Was it menthol?

While in England I smoked B&H because it was a familiar name and I assumed the British version would be the same as the American version, other than the length (as I mentioned earlier, I bought the Kings). I found that though they were similar, the taste wasn't quite the same. I ended up going through six cartons though, as they were close enough to my preferences. In hindsight, though, I should have taken the opportunity to try some of the other brands while I was there. Rothmans, for example, used to have cool looking ads.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 03-10-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ukfella35 View Post
Had phases when i have smoked Embassy and Lamberts, but still revert to Regal as my main brand.
This poll is multiple choice. You could've voted for Embassy and L&B as well as Regal. I don't know whether you can vote again after already having voted, though.

Originally Posted by lambertandbutler View Post
Had tried others like regal, embassy or bensons but liked lamberts most as tasted best and good hit of nicotine.
Ditto. You could've voted for Embassy, Regal, and B&H as well as L&B.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 03-10-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:39 AM

Julian is an unknown quantity at this point

I started smoking in South Africa where I smoked Camel filters mostly. I moved to the UK 5 years ago and after trying different UK brands settled on JPS Black kngsize.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:43 AM

ukfella35 is an unknown quantity at this point

ah sorry yes hadnt read it properly, i would have also chosen Embassy and Lambert and Butler, both cig brands i enjoy also
Old 03-17-2019, 07:09 PM

Tonysmokes is an unknown quantity at this point

When i first started smoking it was with soverign black.
Then i switched to richmond superkings also tried richmond superkings menthol but i didnt like the menthol taste.
Now i smoke stirling kingsize red.
Never tried a light as i like full flavour.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:03 PM
Entry Member

Owlkeeper  is on a distinguished road

I started with B&H sovereigns when they were in a gold pack. Progressed to B&H Gold and Rothmans King Size. My favourite is now JPS Black (used to be called John Player Special)