Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » How to decide and be loyal to a brand

How to decide and be loyal to a brand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2019, 08:40 AM

squaddiebou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to decide and be loyal to a brand

Is it normal to change brands. Does everyone still smoke the brands that they started with?
Does peer pressure or pleasure of the brand out weigh the costs?
Old 02-27-2019, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

It is normal to experiment with trying different brands when you first start smoking, I think, until you find and settle in with the brand that is "yours." After that, people might change brands for a few reasons: (1) they switch from menthol or regular, or vice versa; (2) the manufacturer makes a substantial, and unwelcome, change in the brand; (3) they switch from full-flavor to "light," or vice versa; (4) they switch to a cheaper brand that's similar to their higher priced brand; (5) they try, and like, a brand that's new to the market (often coupons would encourage people to try the new brand). Back in the days when there was a lot of cigarette advertising, sometimes the advertising might persuade a smoker to change brands. Personally, I think it should be a matter of individual preference, irrespective of what one's family and friends might smoke, though admittedly often people's brand choices will be swayed by the other smokers around them.

I made two major brand changes from the time I first started until I began doing RYO in Fall 2012. The first time, in 1981, was because I switched from smoking menthol cigarettes to "regular", so I changed brands from Newport to Winston. The second time, in Fall 1996, my brand for 15 years, Winston, was radically changed by the manufacturer and I didn't like the change, so I changed brands again, mainly to Marlboro. In the last few years before starting RYO, I was smoking L&M as well as Marlboro, depending on when I could get Marlboro on sale.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 02-27-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:10 AM

mm63221 is on a distinguished road
Default loyalty to a brand

Being a new smoker, he/she will probably try different brands to see what appeals to them the most and probably stick with that brand for a while. My mom and dad stuck with the same brand for years and years. My mom would occasionally switch brands(probably for a change) but always go back to her tried and true brand.

I on the other hand approached it from a different mindset. I started on More 120s because I fell in love with the long length, look, color. That cigarette appealed to me like no other, strictly on the looks alone and I started on that brand at 12 and became accustomed to the taste and fell in love with the way it tasted, hence More 120s have been my brand ever since.

I have no regrets starting on that brand and will never change them as my main brand. Having said that, I do smoke Capri 120s some times(also because of the length, look, slimness). Since I smoke More 120s as my brand, I do get comments on my brand, but they're all positive and most want to try one as most have not seen them.

Ultimately, it will be pleasure, not peer pressure that directs you to your preferred brand.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:59 PM

PallMalllover is on a distinguished road

Obviously it is impossible to try every brand. I am sure most are like me. When you first start, you probably try several brands and eventually settle on one that you believe is the best. For me that was Pall Mall menthols. I occasionally will buy a pack of VS menthol 120’s. I enjoy them also. Hard to find and a little pricy in my area. Here is something I do just to try new brands. About once a month I will buy a pack I have never tried. Sometimes I am pleased and other times it is difficult to finish the pack. Someday I would like to say that I have tried them all.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:03 PM

Bill is on a distinguished road

I have changed brands many times. I have tried many, many more.

I am not brand loyal though I will stick with a brand sometimes for years. But if I find something better or as has happened my current brand is no longer available I switch to another.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:41 PM

PallMalllover is on a distinguished road

I would never have thought there would be much difference in the taste of cigarettes. I say taste, but it is more like smoothness. Some brands are just not smooth. I like Pall Mall menthols because of how smooth they feel when I inhale. I get that full lung filling pleasure without that harsh after taste. You wouldn’t think there would be that big of a difference, but there is. Some brands just leave a bad taste in my mouth and they don’t feel good going down. The best part of smoking is taking that deep inhale and feeling it in my lungs. It has to be smooth during the inhale and exhale or it ruins the pleasure.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:46 PM

greensmoke is on a distinguished road

I smoke Newport because they're just right, but also I like how some people are offended by them. Just be sure not to take out your pack when walking by a bunch of black homeless dudes in the park
Old 03-09-2019, 02:50 AM

ThatGuyJason is an unknown quantity at this point

I mean, I smoke Marlboro Reds but I wouldn't say I'm loyal to the brand. If I find another cig I like as much or more than Reds, I'll gladly change.

With that said though, I have tried other brands but I do keep going back.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:30 PM

Heike is on a distinguished road

I'm rather loyal to my Marlboro reds 100's, but I'm not above occasionally buy a pack of something different when I buy my carton. But I stick with other full-flavor 100's, and premium brands only.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:19 PM

marlbororob89 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been pulled away from Marlboro Red 100's a few times to try other brands, but after a short time, I always come back to them.