Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » Your First Brand and Do You Still Smoke It?

Your First Brand and Do You Still Smoke It?

View Poll Results: What was your first brand?
Marlboro 27 47.37%
Newport 3 5.26%
Camel 4 7.02%
Pall Mall 1 1.75%
Kool 1 1.75%
Winston 4 7.02%
Virginia Slims 4 7.02%
Salem 2 3.51%
Other 11 19.30%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2019, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough
Default Your First Brand and Do You Still Smoke It?

What was your first brand? Meaning the first brand that you smoked steadily, which may or may not be the same brand as your first cigarette. Do you still smoke that brand? Why or why not? Please vote in this thread's poll.

My first brand was Newport, the full flavor Green Kings, which I smoked for about two years, from when I was 15 to 17. It was not the same brand as my first cigarette (and pack), which was full flavor Salem Green Kings. When I was just about 17, I switched to smoking non-menthol cigarettes and never went back. If I were to smoke a menthol cigarette today, though, my preference would still be Newport.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 02-09-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:01 AM

Levy is on a distinguished road

I started smoking with Marlboro Reds and still smoke them, for me there is only one brand.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:52 AM

Newportlover82 is an unknown quantity at this point

For the first couple of years after i started I did not stick to one single brand. I pretty much would buy a different brand each time I got a new pack. There is one brand I do remember smoking for a few months consistently it was Camel Terkish Jade. I really liked them but they stopped selling them and they were hard to find so I started smoking different brands again. I would eventually settle into my current brand which is Newport 100's.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:59 AM

Bill is on a distinguished road
Default Smoker of many brands

I started with Salem Premium Length.

I have smoked a great many menthol brands over the many years. Salem 100 lights, Benson & Hedges menthol lights, Salem Slim Lights.

When I restarted I settled on menthol 120s. Now I am enjoying VS menthol 120 silvers. I also enjoy Capri menthol 120s for a change. Over the years I have tried a great many of the menthol 120s.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Newportlover82 View Post
For the first couple of years after i started I did not stick to one single brand. I pretty much would buy a different brand each time I got a new pack.
I did the same thing while I was in my experimentation phase, which lasted about 15 months. I wasn't smoking daily yet -- and wouldn't have been able to afford doing so, even with a pack costing only 60 cents at the time. All the brands I tried during that time were menthol, because from the outset I thought that menthol cigarettes would taste better. From day one when I started smoking daily, I chose Newport for the very practical reason that it was available in a crush-proof box. Salem, which was the first cigarette I tried, was by contrast only available in a soft pack back then.

I think the fact that Newport is lightly mentholated probably facilitated my eventual transition to non-menthol cigarettes. Two years of smoking Newports made me sufficiently accustomed to the taste of tobacco so as to end up preferring the tobacco taste without menthol.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:18 PM

ThatGuyJason is an unknown quantity at this point

The first cigs I smoked were Marlboro Reds and still stick by them, only been smoking for a year now though so I can imagine it can change.

I have tried other brands but none really do it for me. I like the "harshness" and taste of a good Marlboro Red.

If I'm sick or something, I do switch temporarily to either Lights or Menthol.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:51 PM

KWSmoker is on a distinguished road

There’s nothing better than a a full flavor cigarette- I smoked reds or Winston full flavors- I’m actually looking for a vaping option that would give me the same satisfaction as a full flavor cigarette- Anyone who has found something to satisfy the same way let me know- Just joined this forum not too long ago and it’s making me want to experience smoking again- I truly miss it but really don’t want to smell of smoke- Currently I’m using half a tin of Swedish snuse a day to satisfy my nic cravings which get pretty bad at times- Each snus is the equivalent to 2.5 cigarettes in full flavor nicotine - I just bought a Blu eCig and also a Smok device- Neither is quite there for me- May try the nic salt variety next and see how that goes- Im sure I’ll find it eventually but any insight could shorten my experimentation phase with vaping and would be welcome - Thanks!
Old 02-10-2019, 11:13 AM

ChainsmokerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

I experimented with all Marlboro brands before I settled for reds.I eventually went with pall mall and now roll My own they were to expensive. No way I'm gonna spent over $20.00 a day on Marlboro Reds
Old 02-11-2019, 01:00 PM

SmokerDeke is an unknown quantity at this point

I started smoking with Marlboro Lights and basically smoked them for about 5 years. On a trip with my brother-in-law I ran out off cigarettes while we were in the car. Bummed some of his Newports and really liked them so changed to smoking them and still do today.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:47 PM

B&HMan is on a distinguished road
I was 13 years old at the time and way too young to purchase my own pack of cigarettes but I was anxious to experiment, wanting to be a smoker. The very first cigarette I tried smoking was a Winston king. I swiped about 3 cigarettes from a pack that my uncle left on a kitchen table. That first inhale was so tasty and I loved the flavor of the smoke as I inhaled, deep into my lungs. The smoke was incredible and the taste was something I’d never experienced before. I smoked the next two Winstons and loved the warm feeling throughout my body. I was sure that Winstons were going to be my brand, just like my uncle . . . . . .

Since I was still young, when a friend or relative of my parents would come to visit, I took every opportunity to swipe a cigarette (or two) from the packs laying around the house (when no one was looking of course!). This gave me the chance to experiment and explore a variety of brands, similar to Masklofuma . . . . I too was in that ‘experimental stage.’

Some cigarette brands were down right nasty (Tareyton, Old Gold, Lark and even Marlboro Reds) . . . . . . while other brands were tasty and filled with flavor. I loved the aroma from an unlit NF Pall Mall and once I lit up, the thick, creamy flavorful smoke literally knocked my socks off (I just didn’t care for the tobacco flakes on my lips or tongue).

I’d never tried a menthol cigarette before and was curious as to the taste (even though I was familiar with the smell of ‘Vicks Vaporub,’ I couldn’t imagine what ‘menthol’ would taste like.) . . . . . . until I had the chance to smoke a Salem. I tried my first Salem stolen from a pack that was left by my dad’s friend visiting us over a weekend. I kept thinking about that Salem advertisement in the magazine that said, ‘Isn’t it time you enjoyed smoking?’ The guy in the ad said that Salem gives him more great taste! I couldn’t wait to try a Salem!

I swiped a few Salems from that green and white pack, found a book of matches and lit up. Compared to the Winstons which I really liked, Salems gave that ‘extra punch’ of menthol combined with the tobacco smoke, something that was literally ‘out of this world’ to my still-virgin lungs. The rich, soothing sensation of the smoke as I inhaled was overwhelming! I eventually went up to the spare bedroom that my dad’s friend was using and found his carton of Salem kings in his suitcase - and - swiped a couple of packs which lasted me a week or two! I was an ‘instant convert’ to Salems - so I guess Salem was my first (solid) brand!

I had become a devoted and loyal Salem guy but when I was able to purchase a pack of cigarettes (even though I was too young but looked old enough I guess), I would always buy a pack of Winstons and Salems and alternate between them, smoking a Winston and then a Salem - I’d occasionally buy a pack of Pall Mall NFs as well just to give me that ‘extra kick’ of tar and nic and mix things up. As I entered college, I eventually gave up the Winstons and Pall Malls and turned to Salems full-time. I was a pack a day Salem man for several years until RJR seemed to alter the taste of Salems so I was left searching for a new, menthol brand comparable to Salem!

A female coworker offered me one of her a Benson & Hedges Menthol 100 one day and I was sold! They seemed to be the closest to the original Salem flavor and I’ve been enjoying B&H Menthol 100s ever since.