Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » Smoking dspite serious health issues

Smoking dspite serious health issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2018, 12:55 AM

Beardedsmoke66 is on a distinguished road
Default Smoking dspite serious health issues

I'm almost embarrassed to post this, but I figured this forum would be the least judgemental place to do so. I've been a Reds smoker for more than 35 years at about 1.5 ppd.I was diagnosed with diabetes type 1 when I was 15. I am now 52. While I know that smoking is unhealthy in general, I know it's even worse for someone with a chronic disease, such as diabetes. Up until 3 years ago, I hadn't suffered any adverse effects from being a smoker. In October of 2015, I suffered a heart attack and required two stents. While the doctor suspected it was from being diabetic for so many years, he obviously frowned upon my smoking.

I quit smoking for 6 months, but went back to it. Whether it's a mental or physical addiction for me, I cannot and DO NOT want to quit. I enjoy it very much and it remains a very big/special part of my life.

Are there other smokers out there that, despite health issues, continue to smoke and have no plans of quitting? Am I just being extremely stupid? I'm not looking for anyone to condone my smoking. I'm just looking for someone who understands what it means to be a true smoker and why I continue to smoke. Thanks.

Last edited by Beardedsmoke66; 09-07-2018 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:15 AM

ChainsmokerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

I have chronic bronchitis and still continue to smoke. My theory is the damage is done no point quitting if I wanted to.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:02 AM

Reynard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A personal decision

I think this is a decision left to you. We all know of the health risks of smoking, and if youíve had a heart attack and stents fitted youíd have to weigh up pros and cons.

Just be aware that heart attacks happen regardless of smoking. There is so much confirmation bias with a lot of anecdotal reports and experiences with health effects of smoking. Itís the first question any doctor will ask, and as soon as they get their answer (that you smoke) , itís ďyes well your smoking is to blameĒ.

A lot of people drink too many fizzy drinks and eat too much sugar. Or load up on trans- and hydrogenated fats. Or are completely sedentary. What about their health risks?

We canít make this decision for you, it has to come from you. But for what itís worth, I agree with Jim here.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:23 PM

MarlboroRob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I know several people with diabetes who continue to smoke

I know several people who have diabetes type 1 and still continue to smoke and have done so for many years. But they are physically very active due to their work in construction.
One of them is in his mid-50's and smokes well over a pack a day. He has a bit of smoker's cough but says that he is fine otherwise.
The other two guys seem to be keeping well, too.

I myself have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 6 years ago. I'm very careful with my diet, don't drink any alcohol and exercise regularly but I still love smoking.