Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » best way to tell my dad I smoke

best way to tell my dad I smoke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2017, 04:45 PM

mark99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default best way to tell my dad I smoke

Hi guys,

I just started smoking and tonight go hunting with my dad and uncle. As both of them smoke I know I will also want to light up. What is the best way to do tell them I smoke. Should I tell my dad before my uncle picks us up or just light up when they do? Not sure how my dad is going to react, my uncle has two sons, older than me, who both smoke, so shouldnít be bothered.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

I don't think it makes that much of a difference either way, but it might be more considerate to tell your father first so he's not in the possibly awkward position of being in the dark when you light up in front of your uncle.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

In your case, I would pop a smoke in my mouth and ask for a light. Act like you’ve always smoked. No sense in making it a bigger deal than it is
Old 11-04-2017, 07:11 AM
Banned

burge is infamous around these partsburge is infamous around these partsburge is infamous around these parts

I would ask your dad for a smoke. I suspect he all ready knows.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:40 AM

drum is an unknown quantity at this point

How did you end up telling him? And how did he take the news?
Old 11-04-2017, 11:33 AM

caliguy is on a distinguished road

I remember being worried about my dadís reaction when he found out I smoked as he had quit some years before and on the plane on my way home was practicing telling him in my mind. Turned out I didnít need to tell him, in most of the many pictures I send home my pack was clearly visible in my breast pocket and in one of my best bud and I we were both holding a cigarette in our hands.
So when I arrived and got outside he politely offered to wait while I took a much needed smoke. Donít look so innocent, I know you canít wait to light up, remember the feeling well. That is when he showed me the picture of my best bud and I with our cigarettes. Of course he was right I really wanted to smoke and although I felt awkward lighting up in front of him the smoke hitting my lungs was pure heaven.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:14 PM

greensmoke is on a distinguished road

Depends on how old you are, but with smoking cousins it's probably ok. If you have your own pack, just follow their lead. Behave like an adult and don't spit or smoke too fast. If not bum one from a cousin. My first family smoking experience... I lit up with my aunt in the car after lunch at 13 and she didn't raise an eyebrow when I pushed in the lighter like she always did and pulled out my pack of Camel lights. She lit a Kool and we went on our way.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by drum View Post
How did you end up telling him? And how did he take the news?
Ended up telling him when we were getting our guns ready before my uncle arrived. As I was really worried telling him and I was pretty nervous and my dad felt it. Whatís wrong with you Mark, it is not as if we are going hunting for the first time. Thatís not it, I said, well whatever it is get it off your chest now, you will chase of all the deer the way you are, my dad said. As he lit up, I took out my pack and said, I smoke now. Oh that, go ahead light up you might relax a little. As we stood there smoking he said, you know you are an idiot for picking up smoking donít you. You will come to regret it one day.

So all in all it didnít go over too bad, my uncle didnít say anything about it at all.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

Glad to hear he didn’t take you out behind the shed. Lol
Old 11-07-2017, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by ohiophil View Post
Glad to hear he didnít take you out behind the shed. Lol
Yeah, especially since he was handling guns at the time.