Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » Been smoking Newports fine, until I woke up with a sick stomach

Been smoking Newports fine, until I woke up with a sick stomach

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2017, 01:51 PM

kingofash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Been smoking Newports fine, until I woke up with a sick stomach

Threw up in the morning, sick all day, had to gag myself at night to throw up again to get some sleep, thankfully I'm fine as of today.

I didn't smoke at all yesterday, and woke up like that.

It was terrible, the worst sicknses I've had in my life.....

Not sure if it was a virus or because of the cigarettes?
Old 09-22-2017, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

I strongly doubt it was because of the cigarettes. An adverse reaction to too much nicotine might cause mild nausea for a short while, but not vomiting and being sick all day. And I don't think nicotine withdrawal would produce symptoms like that either.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 09-22-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
I strongly doubt it was because of the cigarettes. An adverse reaction to too much nicotine might cause mild nausea for a short while, but not vomiting and being sick all day. And I don't think nicotine withdrawal would produce symptoms like that either.
So, you think it was a stomach virus? I'm scared to smoke again.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by kingofash View Post
So, you think it was a stomach virus? I'm scared to smoke again.
Yeah, I think so. Or perhaps it was something you ate.

Only one way to find out. But perhaps you should wait until after you're sure your stomach is no longer upset.

Also, didn't you say you previously vaped? You should have already built up nicotine tolerance.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 09-22-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:49 PM

Yeah, I think so. Or perhaps it was something you ate.

Only one way to find out. But perhaps you should wait until after you're sure your stomach is no longer upset.

Also, didn't you say you previously vaped? You should have already built up nicotine tolerance.
Yep, vaped 30mg of nicotine and didn't even vomit from that. Got very sick at first, but only lasted a few hours and was nothing compared to what I had yesterday. I was thinking it could be from all the chemicals in the cigarette, that my body isn't used to. For sure, I have a nicotine tolerance built up.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kingofash View Post
Yep, vaped 30mg of nicotine and didn't even vomit from that. Got very sick at first, but only lasted a few hours and was nothing compared to what I had yesterday. I was thinking it could be from all the chemicals in the cigarette, that my body isn't used to. For sure, I have a nicotine tolerance built up.
I still doubt it was the cigarettes, especially given that you were vaping a high nicotine e-juice. If your body wasn't used to what was in the cigarettes (for example, the ammoniating of the tobacco), I would think that you would have felt sick the first day you were smoking, not a few days later. And I still think it would have been, at most, nothing more than mild nausea for a short time (minutes, not hours) after smoking.

It's possible you may be more sensitive to nicotine than most people. What you said about your reaction to when you first vaped leads me to think that might be possible, though I wouldn't know how somebody with no acquired tolerance to nicotine would react to vaping for the first time compared to smoking for the first time. I can tell you that I've never heard of anyone being sick for hours, let alone all day, from smoking for the first time. But even if you were "sensitive" to nicotine, you must have tolerance by now.

What (and where) did you eat before the onset of yesterday's illness?

I would suspect a virus as the probable culprit.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 09-22-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:07 PM

I still doubt it was the cigarettes, especially given that you were vaping a high nicotine e-juice. If your body wasn't used to what was in the cigarettes (for example, the ammoniating of the tobacco), I would think that you would have felt sick the first day you were smoking, not a few days later. And I still think it would have been, at most, nothing more than mild nausea for a short time (minutes, not hours) after smoking.

It's possible you may be more sensitive to nicotine than most people. What you said about your reaction to when you first vaped leads me to think that might be possible, though I wouldn't know how somebody with no acquired tolerance to nicotine would react to vaping for the first time compared to smoking for the first time. I can tell you that I've never heard of anyone being sick for hours, let alone all day, from smoking for the first time. But even if you were "sensitive" to nicotine, you must have tolerance by now.

What (and where) did you eat before the onset of yesterday's illness?

I would suspect a virus as the probable culprit.
I didn't eat much, some soup that a coworker made, and a tuna sandwich for dinner.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

I'm assuming the tuna was canned tuna. If so, that was probably safe (though I don't think you can totally rule out the possibility of a contaminated can of tuna). Anything else in the sandwich?

What was in the soup?

Any other seafood during the day?

I'm not a physician, but what you described sounds to me like a brush with salmonella.

Oh, since you say you didn't each much: did you consume any alcohol? If so, how much?

Last edited by masklofumanto; 09-22-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:18 PM

I'm assuming the tuna was canned tuna. If so, that was probably safe (though I don't think you can totally rule out the possibility of a contaminated can of tuna). Anything else in the sandwich?

What was in the soup?

Any other seafood during the day?

I'm not a physician, but what you described sounds to me like a brush with salmonella.

Oh, since you say you didn't each much: did you consume any alcohol? If so, how much?
Yes, a little bit of relish in the sandwich. It was just lentil soup that I had, and no I don't drink. Possibly the smoking curbed my appetite?
Old 09-22-2017, 04:22 PM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about

Coincidental timing does not prove causation, something every budding epidemiologist learns early in school. Was a plane flying overhead at the time you became ill? Maybe your nausea was due to the chemicals added by the government to the contrail.