Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » Did you grow up in a smoke filled home?

Did you grow up in a smoke filled home?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2017, 04:08 AM

StatisticsJason is a jewel in the roughStatisticsJason is a jewel in the roughStatisticsJason is a jewel in the rough
Default Did you grow up in a smoke filled home?

Even if it was common when I was growing up (70s/80s) the smoke filled atmosphere I grew up in is not only rare today, it would be considered child abuse by many. I look back in amazement at the freedom parents had to smoke as they please inside their home.

I was raised by a single mother who smoked 2-3 packs of 100mg cigarettes per day. It seemed my mom had a lit cigarette in her hand and mouth at all times. There were filled ashtrays in every room (even if they were emptied regularly). My mom would relax on the couch at night and hardcore chain smoke. I would sit there are totally get smoked out, big plumes of smoke going right in my face.

My mom often invited friends over. She only socialized with other smokers.I don't think it was an official policy or anything, it just worked out that way. Anyway when they came over the house would get SO smokey! Even when I went to sleep the smoke would seep into my bedroom.

Most of the time though I was so used to the smoke I didn't think of it. When I went over to a friends house with non-smoking parents believe it or not the smoke free atmosphere seemed strange to me. It seemed too sterile to me. Then I would go home and get blasted with the smell of stale and fresh cigarette smoke and I felt at home, it actually gave me a sense of comfort.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:49 AM

SamanthaD has a spectacular aura aboutSamanthaD has a spectacular aura aboutSamanthaD has a spectacular aura about

Everything you've just described is a lot like the house I grew up in.When I started smoking as a teenager that house got a lot smokier! By the time I graduated high school my mom and I had been smoking together for nearly three years and the smell in the house proved it.If it weren't for her I might not have ever smoked.That smoke literally can go all over the house,it has that lingering effect.Our world was a very different place back then.Oh and don't forget the 90's because there were still plenty of smoke filled homes then as well.This was the norm.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:03 AM

Marbs4ever will become famous soon enough

Grew up with mom here too, also in the 70's and 80's. She smoked about a carton a week, so the house was definitely smoker friendly and any ride in the car was always accompanied by a good dose of 2nd hand smoke. It never really bothered me and even if it did, I always kind of knew it might come back to haunt me if I complained. I found it all quite convenient when I started sneaking them myself at 12.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:21 PM

filter man has a spectacular aura aboutfilter man has a spectacular aura about

My Dad was a regular smoker so grew up in a smoking home environment.Seemed a normal state of affairs.When I started smoking at home the smoke obviously doubled up during the evening when we both generally smoked together in the lounge.As a smoker myself I tended not to notice the smoke as much-just part of the room atmosphere.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:35 AM

Wayne2045 is an unknown quantity at this point

Both my parents smoked, so I hardly noticed it growing up (70s - 80s). Not only that but it seemed all my friends parents had at least one smoker, so it seemed normal. It made it easier when I started sneaking smokes.

However, When I went to college, I could've smoked in my dorm, but my roommate was not a smoker so I would always go to lounge or outside. After living in a smoke free room for a couple months and then going home and sleeping in that smoke filled house, it was so thick it almost gag me, even though I smoked.

As a results of that, I have never smoked in a apartment or home that I have lived in, always go outside. Probably better for your health also, as you don't have second hand smoke always lingering in your house.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:21 PM

bram19 is on a distinguished road

Both of my parents are smokers and as they got older my siblings also started to smoke, so yes I did grow up in a smoke filled home. When I started smoking myself it meant that hiding it was pretty easy and there was always a steady supply of cigarettes.

My parents have one rule, no smoking in the bedrooms, to us they smell very clean but as I know from my girlfriend, a non-smoker, they still smell of smoke.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:30 AM
Entry Member

pann is an unknown quantity at this point

Growing up in the 60's/70's, of course I grew up in a smoke filled home, my parents smoked just about everywhere and by the time I was 12 years old I was the only non-smoker left in the house as my 15 year old sister and 16 but it year old brother also were smoking now. Especially after dinner when all of us would be in front of the television our living room was smoke filled, but it never bothered me.

I shared a bedroom with me brother and must have been the first in our family to know he had started smoking at 14 because he would smoke in our room before he would go to sleep. Once he openly started smoking in the house at 15 an ashtray found its way to our room.

I was 13 when I started smoking myself, one night, I had been smoking for about 3 weeks, as my brother lit up his before sleep cigarette I took out my pack and joined him. He didn't say anything, just 2 guys with the same habit. It wasn't long before I started my day with a cigarette just like him.

I was 14 when I started smoking openly at home after my father one day walked into our room to remind us we had to get up early the next morning because the three of us were going to help my aunt and uncle move. My brother and I had just lit up and all he said was you better go to sleep as soon as you finish your cigarettes guys as we have to leave at 7 tomorrow.

The next day as we were on our way all three of us smoked in the car.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:14 PM

MrHouse is an unknown quantity at this point

I certainly grew up in a smoke filled home as both of my parents are smokers. This being the 90's it certainly was not the norm and kids in school made fun of the way I smelled but for me there was nothing strange about it.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:14 AM

1999joe is an unknown quantity at this point

Sort off, my father is a smoker and of course smoked in the house when I was growing up but to me there was nothing really strange about that.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:13 PM

AllWhiteSmoke will become famous soon enough

Sure did. Grew up in the late 80s and 90s so smoking indoors was still a pretty commonplace and accepted thing, even though it was soon to be on its way out the door. I grew up fortunate in a rather large house in a nice neighborhood, so smoking in one area of the house wouldn't exactly spread the scent to other parts, but still, my parents and any relatives, friends or neighbors who were smokers and visiting were free to smoke whenever and wherever they pleased. It was never something I particularly minded or gave much thought.

It also made it infinitely easier to get away with smoking when I was younger and "experimenting." I could sometimes go upstairs and have a quick smoke in the guest bedroom or bathroom, even with my parents home, because I knew that in the evening hours, they'd almost certainly never bother to venture upstairs and, even if they did, I doubt they'd notice any fresh scent of smoke considering they'd have probably just been smoking somewhere downstairs themselves. It also allowed me to smoke freely and openly anywhere in the house whenever I had it to myself for at least an hour. Basically, it made it very, very to be "sneaky," about it.

Because of this, the scent of cigarettes indoors always evokes comforting feelings of home. I grew up around it, so the aroma carries with it a fond sense of my youth.