Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Allowing your kids?

View Poll Results: From what age did you allow your kids to smoke at home?
Under age 10 (please comment) 8 10.96%
From age 10 5 6.85%
From age 11 2 2.74%
From age 12 14 19.18%
From age 13 6 8.22%
From age 14 8 10.96%
From age 15 7 9.59%
From age 16 15 20.55%
From age 17 2 2.74%
From age 18 6 8.22%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 06:26 AM
Banned

Samaritan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Allowing your kids to smoke/allowed as a kid?

It's been written for years, kids who's parents smoke are more likely to become smokers themselves.
So do or did you as a smoking parent allow your kids, or did your smoking parents allow you as a kid, to smoke (at home)?
From what age did u allow them/they allow you?
Did you/they set any rules they/you had to follow or did you give them or they give you any support?

Ps. If you don't have any kids of your own yet, you can answer the poll as to when you where allowed to smoke by your parent's.

Last edited by Samaritan; 01-11-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:37 AM

sara_mom is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to sara_mom
Default 12

In my case, I found out they were smoking when they were 12 and I allowed them to keep smoking and let them smoke at home.
If they had started earlier I guess I would've supported them all the same.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:42 PM

AllWhiteSmoke will become famous soon enough

It's a tough question if you, as a parent, are also a smoker, especially if you started smoking when you were young.

In that specific case, I think it's okay if you "allow" your child to smoke if they start smoking or try smoking at the same age you did. I mean, if you did it and enjoyed it, it's not exactly right for you to punish and chastise your child for doing exactly the same thing. You've been there. You know how it is. Even after so many years have passed, we all can remember what it was like to first try and/or start smoking underage, so there's a significant level of empathy at play that you need to take into account.

Generally, however, I think around age 12 is when it might be "okay." To be clear, I'd still say that is arguably too young, but if you had the same experience as a child and if you know your own child has already started, it's better to get it out in the open than let it drive a wedge between you. Again, if you had the same experience around that age in particular, there should be some level of understanding at play.

By the time a child is 15-16, I think it's certainly okay. Teenagers are stupid, certainly, but by that age they should be well aware of the risks and such and will have been exposed to god-knows-how-many anti-smoking PSAs and lectures and the like.

I had my first cigarette at 12 years old. I'm not a parent, but if my future child tried smoking around that age, I wouldn't be angry. Again, I know what it's like. I would be concerned if my child became a pretty regular and frequent/heavy smoker at such a young age and would probably try to mitigate or discourage smoking a lot if I know my child enjoys it and isn't going to quit. By the time he or she reached 15 or 16 or so, I'd be much more lax and leave it up to them. I started becoming a somewhat regular smoker around 15-16, so it'd be awfully hypocritical of me to chastise or punish them for doing the same thing.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:52 PM

History Man is an unknown quantity at this point

I was allowed to start by my parents at age 11. I believe in letting kids make their own decisions about when and if they start smoking. I DON'T believe in forcing them to smoke, but I also don't believe in stopping them if they choose, on their own, to start smoking. I also don't believe in setting an arbitrary age when "it's ok." That should be up to the kid.

Last edited by History Man; 03-02-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:55 PM
Banned

Samaritan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by History Man View Post
I was allowed to start by my parents at age 11. My own kids (I have 3 girls) all started between ages 10 and 12 and are still in their teens. I believe in letting kids make their own decisions about when and if they start smoking. I DON'T believe in forcing them to smoke, but I also don't believe in stopping them if they choose, on their own, to start smoking. I also don't believe in setting an arbitrary age when "it's ok." That should be up to the kid. That can be any age they choose as long as they can do so safely, without burning themselves or setting anything on fire. Once my kids decided to smoke, I made absolutely no effort whatsoever to stop them nor to limit their amounts. My only role was in getting them for them as needed. They still love smoking and have shown no signs of ever quitting. I was perfectly happy with their choice to smoke and would allow them to start when they did if I had it all to do over again.
I'm happy to read there are still open minded parents who let their kids smoke even long before they turn 18. Congrats on that. I'm sure they are all happy about their habits.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:53 PM

History Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, we all are very happy to be a smoking family.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:37 AM

franziska02 is an unknown quantity at this point

As a mother of two children, who always smokes and the children have always seen me smoking, I can not explain to them smoking is unhealthy. So, if my children have the cigarettes, they should smoke and they do. So I buy them cigarettes and I know how much they smoke.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:10 AM

crow51 is on a distinguished road

sorry for my bad english

I have two children, 15 and 13 years old. both smoke. I knowed they smoke when the oldest has 13 and the youngest has 12. I allowed to smoke, but I dont know if I allowed if they were younger

therefore I voted 12 years old
Old 03-03-2017, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

I don't know who the idiots are that said kids under 10 should be allowed to smoke, but that's beyond stupid. If these people actually have kids I hope children's services comes knocking on their doors.

To OP: what's with the fascination with kids and smoking? Everything you post is disturbing and I think you need to see a doctor
Old 03-03-2017, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

Chris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud of

It seems to me the common trend in all of these replies is the parents of all of the kids are trying to be a friend and not a parent. Sometimes being a parent means you have to be the asshole, that means the 12 year old starts smoking you stop them not be their friend and go buy them a pack. I suspect that the effort required to be a parent is too hard for you lazy fucks, you don't want kids you want a play mate.