Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Allowing your kids?

View Poll Results: From what age did you allow your kids to smoke at home?
Under age 10 (please comment) 8 10.96%
From age 10 5 6.85%
From age 11 2 2.74%
From age 12 14 19.18%
From age 13 6 8.22%
From age 14 8 10.96%
From age 15 7 9.59%
From age 16 15 20.55%
From age 17 2 2.74%
From age 18 6 8.22%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2017, 04:36 AM

1999joe is an unknown quantity at this point

I started smoking at 16 the summer between my sophomore and junior year.
And when my father asked me why there was an open pack of cigarettes in his car after I borrowed it, the thought of denying that they were mine crossed my mind but when he asked me if I had started smoking I just said, yes they are mine, I smoke. He was not happy about it but did accept it. He laid down some rules and told me not to get caught smoking in school. I was not allowed to smoke in the house but he did put an ashtray on his workbench in the garage for me to use. Before the end of my junior year I got permission to smoke in the house.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:17 PM

george.faran is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and I had been suspecting our oldest had started smoking when he was in 10th grade and when we confronted him with it he vehemently denied it, he even seemed hurt that we tought he would smoke behind our backs. So we apologized for suspecting it.
He was a senior when I actually caught him lighting up, he looked so guilty but had the guts to finish his cigarette. When I asked him how long he had been smoking he confessed to having started in 10th grade as we suspected.
He started openly smoking at home that day and he was 17 at the time.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:29 PM

Giulia is on a distinguished road
Smile Giulia

I'm not sure"allowing" is an accurate description.
Kids will do what kids will do, whether you allow it or not. I believe showing love and support is as important as anything. My daughter, Megan, has lived around my smoking her entire life. It came as no real surprise when she indicated her interest in cigarettes at age 4. Rather than just saying "no", I took an active role in guiding, and teaching her. She is now a 7 year old, second grader, who is a popular, happy young girl and a bright student who just happens to enjoy smoking. We are mother and daughter and best friends. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited by Giulia; 04-13-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:36 AM
Banned

ZigZagZeppelin is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Giulia View Post
I'm not sure"allowing" is an accurate description.
Kids will do what kids will do, whether you allow it or not. I believe showing love and support is as important as anything. My daughter, Megan, has lived around my smoking her entire life. It came as no real surprise when she indicated her interest in cigarettes at age 4. Rather than just saying "no", I took an active role in guiding, and teaching her. She is now a 7 year old, second grader, who is a popular, happy young girl and a bright student who just happens to enjoy smoking. We are mother and daughter and best friends. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Nobody believes this kinda shit. Why bother posting it?
You'd be arrested if adults saw your 7 yr old smoking while you allowed it.
It's called "child abuse."
Old 06-19-2017, 10:44 PM

greensmoke is on a distinguished road

If they were still hiding it at 14 (and I could tell based on experience) I'd say you can stop sneaking around now. But nobody smokes inside, and only if I say it's ok in public. I'd be ok with buying them cigs but only if they asked me to first.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:55 PM

chris78542 is an unknown quantity at this point

My oldest started smoking last year when he was 16. Although he hid it from my wife and I we suspected it. I found a couple of different butts in my cars ashtray after he borrowed it, I smoke Marb Lights 100's so my butts are white and there were brown butts in the ashtray.
When I asked him if he had smoked in my car, he turned bright red and said yes dad.
I gave him the concerned parent speech, told him he was a fool for starting and told him he didn't have to hide his smoking anymore. So I voted for 16.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:25 AM

macewan is an unknown quantity at this point

I have two sons and both of them are smokers. They are 30 and 27 now but have been smoking since they were around 16 years old, at least that is when I found out.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:17 PM

GA Smoker is on a distinguished road

This is a difficult situation. My answer is colored by a few things:

1. Not cool for your young children to be smoking
2. The decision to smoke should be made as an "adult."
3. "Adult" not not necessarily mean 18
4. I understand being in high school and wanting to smoke and later being in high school and needing a cigarette
5. I would have a hard time not letting someone smoke (who wanted to smoke) if I was unable / unwilling to quit myself.

So, I think my answer would be, I would tell my child if they would wait until 16, I would let them smoke 2 or 3 cigarettes a day at home, when I was around. Then when they were 18 and had graduated from high school, they can do as they wish. Who knows if this would work, but its what I wish my parents had done. Being 17 and being around people smoking and not being able to light up yourself sucks.

My parents would NOT let me smoke. I feel like I missed out on the bonding of having a smoke with my Dad. I guess I could have forced the issue, but I just didn't man up. Sneaking around was fun too, but if a teen wants to smoke, he will find a way to smoke. I know I did.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:45 PM

Heike will become famous soon enoughHeike will become famous soon enough

We never had children, but knowing what I know today, I'd want my child to be at least 15. Even though I was 12. More importantly, I would want him or her to fully understand the consequences of starting, as well as the pleasures.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:30 AM

Keagan is an unknown quantity at this point

Even though I started smoking myself at 13 which in 1978 was not unheard of, my wife and I agreed that if our kids wanted to smoke they could do so once they had finished junior high so at 15/16.