Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » How did you think of or fantasize about smoking before you were actually a smoker?

How did you think of or fantasize about smoking before you were actually a smoker?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2016, 12:03 AM

AllWhiteSmoke will become famous soon enough
Default How did you think of or fantasize about smoking before you were actually a smoker?

I'll elaborate on the question first. For those of us who knew or expected to eventually become a smoker, how did you fantasize or think about smoking before you had ever tried it when you were a kid? Was it something you always thought about? Did you "study" those who you knew smoked? Did you go over scenarios in your mind about what it would be like to be a smoker, or what smoking would be like?

For me, I can recall the first time I ever actually "fantasized" about it. When I was a child, my parents would occasionally have "mini" family reunions at our house over the summer. Not a big thing, but they'd reach out to family members and have them stay for a weekend if they were able to.

During one of those gatherings, we were having a cookout in the backyard. I was playing around by myself, as I was the only child present that year. I remember I was in the driveway and for some reason I became particularly transfixed by the smokers at one point. My older sister, my parents, my aunt, and a family friend and her husband were standing in a group away from the non-smokers, smoking, chatting, and laughing. They were just happy, and with that image juxtaposed against the group of nonsmokers a few feet away, it created the idea that the smokers just seemed happier, in a sense.

A little while later that same day, I was up in my room. I pretended to smoke by using a straw, holding it between my fingers like a cigarette, bringing it to my lips, exhaling imaginary smoke. I was already well aware of the negative aspects of smoking, but it was completely overshadowed by how happy all the smokers I knew were. There must be something to it.

Keep in mind, this was many, many years before I would ever try it. Even so, I started having fantasies about being a smoker. I started wishing that smoking had literally no adverse health risks whatsoever so that there would be no reason not to smoke; so that everyone would smoke. In such an absurd fantasy world, I imagined being in my classroom with students and teachers alike smoking away right there in class, ashtrays on the desks and everything. No health risks, no reason not to smoke anywhere you damn well please. No reason to restrict smoking to a certain age.

Due to the growing prevalence of anti-smoking PSAs and school lectures, my attitude towards smoking waxed and waned. There was something endearing about it, but at the same time, all of those school lectures and whatnot made me question my curiosity and affinity for it. That began to cease as I grew older. I would become transfixed more often at the sight of a smoker not just smoking, but smoking happily, with a smile on their face, laughing and talking, as though the cigarette was an instantaneous producer of joy. Sometimes, I would grow impatient to turn 18 so I could smoke. I was still young, so the thought of trying it underage wasn't even a consideration at that point. As far as I was concerned, I'd have to wait until I was of legal age. That didn't remain true, certainly, but as a child, I thought I was doomed to play a long-term waiting game of sorts.

The next two pivotal moments came when I was closer to high school. I still hadn't tried smoking yet, but these two moments are probably what pushed me to do so, ultimately. One weekend, my friend's mom drove my buddy and I to the mall. I was 14 at the time and my buddy had just turned 15 and had recently gotten his learner's permit. After a full day, his mom started driving us back. She would drop me off at my house, of course, but it was a long, long drive across town to get there.

We stopped by a gas station about halfway there so she could pick up some cigarettes. When she came back to the car, she let my buddy drive the rest of the way to my house. Once we got on the road, his mom pulled out a cigarette and lit up. My buddy playfully chastised her, insisting that it was "illegal" to smoke in the car if a minor is driving. We all knew he was joking, as his mom would regularly chainsmoke in the car without so much as a peep from us. She laughed, looked at me in the rear view mirror and said, "That's not true, is it?" I smiled and said it definitely wasn't. We were all in a very happy, goofy mood, so we were talking and laughing the whole way home. However, I couldn't take my eyes off my friend's mom smoking while we all did so. She lit up another cigarette with the butt of her finished cigarette. She just looked so content and pleased. I wanted that for myself. I blushed when I realized she noticed me staring at her as she smoked at one point, but she didn't say anything about it.

Not too long after that, my buddy's mom picked me up from school (yes, this is the same woman from my previous stories who was the first adult to "bust" me for smoking) while my parents were out of town. It was the middle of winter and was absolutely freezing outside. I was waiting in the parking lot, bundled up and chatting with my friends when I saw her pull up. I said goodbye to everyone and hopped in the car. She greeted me and immediately apologized for the car smelling like cigarettes, explaining that she had the window just barely cracked since the cold was unbearable that day. I remarked that I didn't mind and actually liked the smell. She laughed and jokingly said that I sounded like a smoker myself before making a few comments about how I shouldn't smoke, etc.

It was only a few weeks later when I finally gave in to temptation and curiosity and tried smoking for the first time. It was a good while before I actually acquired the taste for it and learned to enjoy it, but it wouldn't be long (in retrospect) before I became a smoker and would be accepted as a smoker by almost everyone I knew.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:36 AM

marbsmoker is an unknown quantity at this point

I certainly fantasized about being a smoker before I actually became one.

I started "smoking" pencil cigarettes when I was about 13, pretended to light up and inhale deeply just like my dad did. Cupping my cigarette just like my favorite uncle always did and thing like that.

At 14 I took one of my fathers empty packs out off the garbage bin in his office and now had my own pack. As I went to a private school, I had a school uniform with a white shirt that had a breast pocket and when in my room would always put my pack in it. I loved the way it felt, just like a real smoker.

It wasn't until I was 16 that I actually started smoking but by now already felt like a smoker.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by marbsmoker View Post
At 14 I took one of my fathers empty packs out off the garbage bin in his office and now had my own pack ... I had white shirt that had a breast pocket and when in my room would always put my pack in it. I loved the way it felt, just like a real smoker.
Ha! I did the same thing at 12. I found a pack of Marlboro Longhorns (what the Marlboro 100s were called then) that was in perfect condition and kept it. I too liked to put the pack in a white shirt breast pocket and look at myself in the mirror with it. I didn't wait to start smoking quite as long as you. I bought a pack from a vending machine and smoked my first cigarette at 13, though I didn't become a "regular" or daily smoker until right after I turned 15.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 12-05-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:15 AM

lambertandbutler is on a distinguished road

I would pretend to smoke as playing in pencils or candy sticks and with empty packs. As a kid I always wanted to marry a smoker, I loved the idea of both getting a ciggy out and me light up her after mine as I drag as long as she did. I would see my parents both light up together and thought it looked cool. I always loved how it looked as the smoke pumps out naturally as speaking and both myself and wife doing it as chatting with each other.

I have been married 6 years now and every day the first thing we do when wake up is light up and smoke in bed. Great to be with a woman who loves smoking too and she also likes to speak after a drag as the smoke pumps out with the words.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:43 AM

SmokinSam is on a distinguished road

Hey, AllWhiteSmoke... Thanks SO much for asking this great question!

When I was young, I was always transfixed watching my dad smoke. He clearly loved his cigarettes and from as far back as I can remember, I always fantasized about being a smoker one day just like him. I would sometimes use pens or even rolled up tissue as "pretend" cigarettes and would "practice" smoking with them, emulating my dad. One day when I was 15, I was visiting my elderly great aunt and she had gotten a promotional pack of a brand called Triumph from her local drug store. She gave them to me and said: "give these to your father because I know he smokes." That was my golden opportunity! I knew I had my own pack and had no intention of giving them to my dad (he and my great aunt rarely spoke so I felt I was safe). I kept them in the back of a drawer for a few days and one night, when my dad was asleep, I got up the courage to open the pack and light one up. And boy did my practice pay off! I knew from that very first drag that I was going to be a smoker. I loved the taste of tobacco in my mouth and aroma in my nose - the same amazing smell I had experienced second-hand my whole childhood. That June evening, my fantasy had become reality! I have smoked ever since and still love it!
Old 02-05-2018, 09:30 PM

Txcowboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Great question. I grew up in a smoking home and I just accepted the fact that I would be a smoker just like my Dad. I remember being fascinated with the way that he would light up a cigarette, letting it dangle briefly in his lips as he inhaled the first drag, and then he would let all the smoke come out his nose. I remember making mental observations about all the different ways people could blow out smoke, and I would go home and pretend to do the same. I always fantasized about being able to smoke, about being able to light it up and let the smoke come out my nose or my mouth as I spoke. I always wanted to have a smoking style similar to my Dad's in which I could exhale smoke several times with just one drag. I pretended to smoke with straws or sticks on a pretty rare occasion, but I fantasized about the act of actually lighting up and blowing out the smoke almost every day. When I finally got the nerve to ask my Dad for a smoke, he was happy to oblige and I have never looked back. To me, smoking makes me feel more masculine as it is the image of a smoker that made me so curious from such an early age.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:52 AM

SmokinSam is on a distinguished road

I identify with Txcowboy completely. I always loved watching my dad smoke, would practice and then eventually emulated his style with deep inhales, nose jets and speaking while smoke was coming out of my mouth. The only difference was his reaction to me smoking. The day he caught me with a lit cigarette in my room, he was mad. But after a few weeks, he came to accept it and one day he came into my room, handed me an ashtray and said, "if you're going to smoke, use this instead of soda cans and coffee mugs." I remember feeling so liberated. I finally got up the nerve to light up in front of him for the first time and it was awesome. I felt like a real man! So when my 15-year-old asked me about smoking last year, I offered him one of my Marlboro Reds and a lighter. I showed him how to smoke and he was so happy. Now we smoke together in the house and I am very proud of the smoker he has become.

Last edited by SmokinSam; 02-06-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:35 PM

crow51 is on a distinguished road

my daughters when were kids, they played with dolls and they pretended to be moms smokers.
sometimes my wife give them cigarettes not lighted to play
Old 04-14-2019, 08:11 PM

KWSmoker will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AllWhiteSmoke View Post
I'll elaborate on the question first. For those of us who knew or expected to eventually become a smoker, how did you fantasize or think about smoking before you had ever tried it when you were a kid? Was it something you always thought about? Did you "study" those who you knew smoked? Did you go over scenarios in your mind about what it would be like to be a smoker, or what smoking would be like?

For me, I can recall the first time I ever actually "fantasized" about it. When I was a child, my parents would occasionally have "mini" family reunions at our house over the summer. Not a big thing, but they'd reach out to family members and have them stay for a weekend if they were able to.

During one of those gatherings, we were having a cookout in the backyard. I was playing around by myself, as I was the only child present that year. I remember I was in the driveway and for some reason I became particularly transfixed by the smokers at one point. My older sister, my parents, my aunt, and a family friend and her husband were standing in a group away from the non-smokers, smoking, chatting, and laughing. They were just happy, and with that image juxtaposed against the group of nonsmokers a few feet away, it created the idea that the smokers just seemed happier, in a sense.

A little while later that same day, I was up in my room. I pretended to smoke by using a straw, holding it between my fingers like a cigarette, bringing it to my lips, exhaling imaginary smoke. I was already well aware of the negative aspects of smoking, but it was completely overshadowed by how happy all the smokers I knew were. There must be something to it.

Keep in mind, this was many, many years before I would ever try it. Even so, I started having fantasies about being a smoker. I started wishing that smoking had literally no adverse health risks whatsoever so that there would be no reason not to smoke; so that everyone would smoke. In such an absurd fantasy world, I imagined being in my classroom with students and teachers alike smoking away right there in class, ashtrays on the desks and everything. No health risks, no reason not to smoke anywhere you damn well please. No reason to restrict smoking to a certain age.

Due to the growing prevalence of anti-smoking PSAs and school lectures, my attitude towards smoking waxed and waned. There was something endearing about it, but at the same time, all of those school lectures and whatnot made me question my curiosity and affinity for it. That began to cease as I grew older. I would become transfixed more often at the sight of a smoker not just smoking, but smoking happily, with a smile on their face, laughing and talking, as though the cigarette was an instantaneous producer of joy. Sometimes, I would grow impatient to turn 18 so I could smoke. I was still young, so the thought of trying it underage wasn't even a consideration at that point. As far as I was concerned, I'd have to wait until I was of legal age. That didn't remain true, certainly, but as a child, I thought I was doomed to play a long-term waiting game of sorts.

The next two pivotal moments came when I was closer to high school. I still hadn't tried smoking yet, but these two moments are probably what pushed me to do so, ultimately. One weekend, my friend's mom drove my buddy and I to the mall. I was 14 at the time and my buddy had just turned 15 and had recently gotten his learner's permit. After a full day, his mom started driving us back. She would drop me off at my house, of course, but it was a long, long drive across town to get there.

We stopped by a gas station about halfway there so she could pick up some cigarettes. When she came back to the car, she let my buddy drive the rest of the way to my house. Once we got on the road, his mom pulled out a cigarette and lit up. My buddy playfully chastised her, insisting that it was "illegal" to smoke in the car if a minor is driving. We all knew he was joking, as his mom would regularly chainsmoke in the car without so much as a peep from us. She laughed, looked at me in the rear view mirror and said, "That's not true, is it?" I smiled and said it definitely wasn't. We were all in a very happy, goofy mood, so we were talking and laughing the whole way home. However, I couldn't take my eyes off my friend's mom smoking while we all did so. She lit up another cigarette with the butt of her finished cigarette. She just looked so content and pleased. I wanted that for myself. I blushed when I realized she noticed me staring at her as she smoked at one point, but she didn't say anything about it.

Not too long after that, my buddy's mom picked me up from school (yes, this is the same woman from my previous stories who was the first adult to "bust" me for smoking) while my parents were out of town. It was the middle of winter and was absolutely freezing outside. I was waiting in the parking lot, bundled up and chatting with my friends when I saw her pull up. I said goodbye to everyone and hopped in the car. She greeted me and immediately apologized for the car smelling like cigarettes, explaining that she had the window just barely cracked since the cold was unbearable that day. I remarked that I didn't mind and actually liked the smell. She laughed and jokingly said that I sounded like a smoker myself before making a few comments about how I shouldn't smoke, etc.

It was only a few weeks later when I finally gave in to temptation and curiosity and tried smoking for the first time. It was a good while before I actually acquired the taste for it and learned to enjoy it, but it wouldn't be long (in retrospect) before I became a smoker and would be accepted as a smoker by almost everyone I knew.

Somehow I missed this thread but have to say I was intrigued by Allwhitesmoke’s perspective sharing what he experienced as I realized mine was very similar( Please feel free to read my previous posts)- In retrospect I concur that I think I was addicted before I ever started with dreams and a desire to start smoking starting when I was 11 or 12- I was strongly attracted to smoking around this time seeing how much my grandfather enjoyed it- He was the only smoker in the family with everyone else anti and begging him to quit but he couldn’t- I saw how much he enjoyed smoking and how impossible it was for him to quit and somehow this was very alluring to me- I recall one instance when a relative brought him a glass cylinder with one cigarette an a match inside and the smoker was to break open the cylinder in an emergency! I so wanted to break the glass and smoke that cigarette! It wasn’t until I was 18 and had graduated from high school that I bought a pack and tried it for myself- it was my decision with no peer pressure and truly what I wanted- As I entered college I became a daily smoker for almost 10 years before quiting (seversl times before succeeding) due to fear of the health aspects - I quit and started several times after that and today I use snus, vape and smoke Marlboro Reds when drinking with my guy friends- BTW allwhitesmoke, curious what your first car was and also I noticed you hadn’t accepted my friends request on this site and hoping you will- Your post have been great due to the fact that you are a great writer allowing you to explain the details of you smoking experience which has helped me put my own experience into perspective-Thanks for that! I can see that This woman friend really opened the door to facilitating your addiction to smoking and I think she enjoyed enabling you in that process- Have you ever had the opportunity to discuss that with her and did she ever confess to your mom what took place?

Last edited by KWSmoker; 04-14-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:57 PM

George1 will become famous soon enoughGeorge1 will become famous soon enough
Default Thinking

I stumbled on a pro smoking site by accident during the summer of 2013. Up to that point, I wasn’t the least bit interested in smoking. I started to read the posts by smokers about how much they enjoyed it. I started to think about giving smoking a try because my curiosity was aroused. I wanted to experience smoking first hand. I took the plunge on Labor Day weekend that year. After one week of smoking every day I fell in love with cigarettes and I have been puffing away ever since.