Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Describe your cravings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2016, 05:19 AM

docmarlboro will become famous soon enough
Default Describe your cravings

If a nonsmoker asked you to describe your nicotine cravings, what would you tell them? Smoking is very personal and I imagine the cravings are as well.
For me I would say they are like a vice around your entire body - your mind, chest and gut. It starts as a thought that a smoke would be nice. Soon the pressure of the vice can be felt. That thought becomes "I need a smoke". The vice tightens more. Now the mind being squeezed starts to become irritable and foggy. At this point I usually can feel it in my chest, a similar squeezing. As it gets tighter my mind starts to slow down and my agitation soars. By this point I have a hollow feeling in my gut which soon turns to a slight nausea. By now I'm a low functioning person. Driven only to have a smoke. When I get to this point I usually end up chain smoking a couple. This is also usually how I feel when I get out of bed.
By the way, yesterday was the first day in my smoking career that I consumed an entire pack in one day!
Old 05-23-2016, 03:14 PM

TokenSmoker is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of times when I get cravings, in addition to the typical unpleasantries, I find myself biting my lip a lot as if going for the cigarette that isn't there. It usually takes me a while to get to the irritable stage but when I do, let me tell you, it ain't fun. It's been a while, though, since this has happened because I've learned to plan ahead so it doesn't come to that.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:35 PM

mshildegard will become famous soon enough

Within 45 minutes to an hour after my last cigarette, I'm normally lighting another. If I'm someplace where I can't do that, I start getting fidgety. Soon after that, irritability and restlessness both set in, followed by a touch of anger, and the inability to concentrate, or the inability to think about anything about needing a cigarette. Once I've lit, it's relief all over! Then the cycle begins again...
Old 05-23-2016, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

Must suck to be you guys. I don't get the cravings like you do. I just smoke whenever I feel like it, and that's usually 35-40 times a day. Usually around a pack at work and a pack at home. I smoke less on the weekends, but not much.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:10 PM

RobbyR is an unknown quantity at this point

Hard to describe really, I just know when I need a cigarette. I smoke most in the morning and not nearly as much in the evening. It calms my nerves. I smoke American Spirits and I can smoke 2 or 3 in the morning and not want another for hours, if at all. If I smoked Marlboros, it would probably be every 30 minutes like I used to. For me a craving usually is me feeling anxious and antsy.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:11 PM

TokenSmoker is an unknown quantity at this point

You see, though, it usually takes me a few hours to get real cravings. I guess it's sort of like eating. You could have a little snack every hour or so, or you could break it up into a few "meals" a day. I typically smoke a few in the morning, when I'm driving, on lunch break and in ther afternoon and evening when I'm home (plus a few breaks interspersed throughout the workday) . When I do get cravings, usually it's only if I'm really slammed at work or with some other obligation and I don't have the chance for a break.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:58 PM

filter man has a spectacular aura aboutfilter man has a spectacular aura about

I'm in a position where I can pretty well smoke freely and maintain my regular smoking routine on a daily basis.If this situation is disrupted in unforeseen circumstances-then I eventually experience a feeling of emptiness which affects my whole body.It needs filling up;ie with smoke.In these situations-I can understand why smokers who are quitting can put on weight by eating more to fill this void.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:18 AM

DaveOH is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by docmarlboro View Post
If a nonsmoker asked you to describe your nicotine cravings, what would you tell them? Smoking is very personal and I imagine the cravings are as well.
For me I would say they are like a vice around your entire body - your mind, chest and gut. It starts as a thought that a smoke would be nice. Soon the pressure of the vice can be felt. That thought becomes "I need a smoke". The vice tightens more. Now the mind being squeezed starts to become irritable and foggy. At this point I usually can feel it in my chest, a similar squeezing. As it gets tighter my mind starts to slow down and my agitation soars. By this point I have a hollow feeling in my gut which soon turns to a slight nausea. By now I'm a low functioning person. Driven only to have a smoke. When I get to this point I usually end up chain smoking a couple. This is also usually how I feel when I get out of bed.
By the way, yesterday was the first day in my smoking career that I consumed an entire pack in one day!
Excellent description! The first sign for me is when I feel my chest start to tighten up. I usually try to go smoke at that point and within two puffs that tension goes away. If I wait too long then it will start impacting my ability to concentrate and I get irritable. If I stick to my normal schedule, I can avoid that altogether.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:35 PM

Rocko70 is on a distinguished road
Default Empty feeling

I get a profound feeling of emptiness in my chest...almost a kind of burning sensation...that absolutely nothing other than cigarette smoke will satisfy. That first inhale immediately begins easing the feeling...and it is so wonderful to experience that sensation. It makes me regard my addiction to nicotine as an essential element in making smoking such a delightful personal experience.