Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

busted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2015, 09:23 AM

david97 is on a distinguished road
Default busted

I started smoking socially my senior year in highschool and averaged about a pack every two weeks so was a very light smoker.
Went to college this fall and joined a fraternity, part of the initiation was having to carry a pack of cigarettes and a can of dip all the time and join an older frat brother if he lit up or packed a lip. Needless to say I started smoking a lot more and quickly was a regular smoker and yes dipper as well.
Over thanksgiving I managed to hide my new habits from my parents and had my first bad cravings. I even went back to school a day early.
Came home for the holidays last weekend and managed to hide my habits until today. I was enjoying my first smoke of the day in the garage when my mom came in. She was shocked and said David why are you smoking. I told her that I now smoked, that is was part of joining my fraternity. I don't like it she said and wait until your father finds out. My dad called me like 5 minutes later and started this whole spiel about smoking and how it is going to kill me. Hypocrite used to smoke himself until 4 years ago. I told him it was part of my initiation into my fraternity, the same one he joined back in college, and he calmed down a little. As a pledge you have to do what the brothers demand he said.
He still doesn't like it but realizes it is just part of growing up and I now have permission to smoke outside when I am home. Haven't told them about the dipping yet.

Last edited by david97; 12-22-2015 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-22-2015, 12:32 PM

Amsel is an unknown quantity at this point

Admittedly I'm from Europe, so even though I go to University I don't know anything about fraternities, but this sounds very dubious to me. A fraternity that demands of its members to smoke? And your father saying that "you have to do what your brothers demand"?! I mean good for you that he accepts your smoking, but the reasoning doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Amsel,
American fraternities do things far more dubious than this; demanding the pledges smoke and dip is actually pretty mild considering what their initiation demands often are -- many are pretty stupid, and some have even been dangerous. Fortunately, not all American universities have fraternities. Although, frankly, no one should be forced to acquire a habit against his will; on the other hand, nobody was compelling David to join this fraternity in the first place.

The parents' initial reaction was pretty absurd, as if they can really control what their son does when he's his age and away at university. "Wait till your father finds out!" as if David were eight rather than eighteen! David, you shouldn't have tried to hide it from them in the first place. It would have been better for them to find out because you were mature enough to tell them yourself rather than having your mother catch you in the act, while trying to sneak a smoke as if you weren't already a full grown man.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 12-22-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:08 PM

docmarlboro will become famous soon enough

So you HAD to consume a tobacco product with a brother and not simply keep them company?
When I pledged my fraternity we had to perform tasks assigned by each brother to earn their respect and acceptance however if anything were to compromise us morally ethically or legally then this was dealt with swiftly by our pledge master.
This sounds like Southern pledging.
Does 100% of your fraternity then smoke and or dip?
Old 12-22-2015, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by docmarlboro View Post
So you HAD to consume a tobacco product with a brother and not simply keep them company?
When I pledged my fraternity we had to perform tasks assigned by each brother to earn their respect and acceptance however if anything were to compromise us morally ethically or legally then this was dealt with swiftly by our pledge master.

well to me it sounded like I had to smoke or dip

This sounds like Southern pledging.

Virginia Tech

Does 100% of your fraternity then smoke and or dip?
not 100% but at least 80%
Old 12-22-2015, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post

David, you shouldn't have tried to hide it from them in the first place. It would have been better for them to find out because you were mature enough to tell them yourself rather than having your mother catch you in the act, while trying to sneak a smoke as if you weren't already a full grown man.
Masklofumanto,

With hindsight I agree with you, being 18, almost 19, I should have been honest with them. I did tell them that I had also picked up dipping and they were not happy about that either.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:44 PM

docmarlboro will become famous soon enough

I say drop the dip!
Old 12-22-2015, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

Whatever happened to freedom of choice? I say keep on dipping, if that's what you're into
Old 12-22-2015, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

If he had to make a choice between one or the other, I would think that dipping doesn't come close to the variety of tactile sensations as smoking. But if he wants to continue doing both, yes, it is his choice.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

I knew a guy who smoked and dipped at the same time. Hard core