Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » Teenage Guys on Why We Smoke

Teenage Guys on Why We Smoke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2015, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

When I was in high school, the punishment for getting caught smoking, and only if it was inside the buildings, was one day's detention. Because you got detention, the school of course would notify your parents. In theory they could have disciplined you for smoking on campus outdoors if you were under 16, but they never did. Even in junior high school kids openly smoked outside in front of the school building, and practically all would have been under 16. I don't know what they did to someone getting caught smoking marijuana, but I imagine that would have involved the police.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:49 AM

teen_smoker will become famous soon enough

Sorry for the delayed reply. Exams fucking suck.

Both of you guys mentioned Winston but those might as well not exist for people my age. Like I've seen them every time I go in the store, but I've never seen anyone smoking them. Might just be my school but I don't think they're a really popular brand.

Ohio you're right, I do think I know all the smokers in my class and like I told masklo in that PM it's about 20% (like 15 of 75 total seniors). Probably like 8 juniors smoke, a couple sophomores and no freshmen that I know of. I consider someone a smoker if they buy their own packs, so not all of these people smoke every day (but a lot do). The 20% of people I considered social smokers are people who I've seen smoke at least once. Most of that group overlaps with guys who dip (mostly athletes), and a lot of the smokers are also social dippers so it goes both ways.

Masklo I think you're also right that it is probably really hard to measure the teen smoking rate and it's probably a lot higher than what they say it is. Teenagers are really good at hiding it from adults. I would say of my group half the parents have no idea their kid smokes. But nobody really cares if other teenagers know. I would probably hide it from younger kids but I really don't give a shit that the nonsmokers at my high school know that I smoke, and that's pretty much how everyone else feels too.

And yeah, I board at my school and it's one of the best things my parents ever did for me! Like I'm psyched for Christmas of course but I'm gonna be kinda sad to leave here on Tuesday.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Even when I was in high school, Winston wasn't a "popular brand" with youth, so I'm not too surprised if it is even less so with youth today. But nationally, when I was your age, it was the second best selling brand after Marlboro. Today, globally it is still in the top five. I recently saw something online where it was mentioned as the #2 brand globally (which means it moved up from #4 within the past few years); in the U.S. Winston and Kool are tied for fifth place. Winston is by far the best selling brand in Puerto Rico (where I am right now; I'll be flying home Thursday morning). If you are curious, I did a thread on the history of the Winston brand ... scroll further down the first page of this forum to find it.

By the way, when I was your age NOBODY diipped.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 12-21-2015 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

There were dippers in my school, not many though. I tried it a few times, and let me tell ya... It was not for me. I'm sure I was doing it wrong, but I had that shit all over my mouth. I think I've told this before , but my great grandmother chewed tobacco... Not dip, but stuff like red man. I have no real idea what brand she chewed though