Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » Teenage Guys on Why We Smoke

Teenage Guys on Why We Smoke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2015, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by teen_smoker View Post
Hahaha

Also if anyone has more questions I can probably get this same group to respond. They're all pretty bored on weeknights and will be happy to have an excuse to text about something.
What brands do the other guys in your circle of friends smoke? Or haven't they settled down to a brand preference yet?
Old 12-16-2015, 01:16 AM

teen_smoker will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
What brands do the other guys in your circle of friends smoke? Or haven't they settled down to a brand preference yet?
That's a good question. My group of friends is pretty into Marlboro Lights (we just call them "golds" or "nuggets," I guess because nuggets are gold and because if you don't know we're talking about going out for a cigarette you assume it means McDonalds). I think it was more of a chain reaction than anything else, the first couple guys to start smoking regularly happened to like that brand, so everyone else got started on them.

But with the exception of the 2 guys I consider the most serious smokers everyone else changes things around pretty regularly. We have a rule that unless you're brand new you have to buy your own pack, and guys tend to switch around and try new stuff. The other two brands that I see a lot are Marlboro Red and Camel Crush. My roommate went through a Parliament phase for a little bit last month.

Outside my group of friends I've seen people smoke a lot of different things, but mostly different flavors of Marlboro and Camel. Couple guys I know are into American Spirit. Almost all the juniors I know who smoke are smoking Camel Crush, which is probably another chain reaction thing like with my group.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:59 AM

smokingteen is on a distinguished road

In my school you see this also, the chain reaction of a certain cigarette all of a sudden becoming very popular. Marlboro Gold and Camel filters are always popular. At the begining of the year Lucky Strike filters were the cigarette to smoke, now it is L&M red, at least for the guys. Most of the girls smoke Marlboro Gold or Camel White, yes they still sell them here.
Since I switched to my Marlboro Reds I have not bought another brand, I smoke whatever people offer me though.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

I may have said this before, but when I was in high school the popular brands, in descending order, were Marlboro Red, Newport Green, and Parliament. Sometimes I might see someone smoking 100s (for example, there was one guy I knew, and already a pack a day smoker at 15, who only smoked Marlboro 100s). I didn't even begin to see anyone smoking Marlboro Gold or any other "lights" until I was a senior, and even by then it was only a few. Camel was not at all popular then, in the Northeast at least it was virtually a dying brand at the time. American Spirit, of course, didn't exist yet.

Yes, Connor, I would not have understood "nuggets." Thanks for anticipating that in advance.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 12-16-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

Nuggets. That's a good one Nobody will figure it out.

Back in high school, Marlboro and camel were the most popular of course. Some people smoked Winston, but not many. Newports, or 'ports as they were called, were probably the only menthol cigarette. I knew 1 girl that smoked those skinny smokes... I don't recall which one.

In my school, probably 33% smoked. What's the % in your school ?
Old 12-16-2015, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
In my school, probably 33% smoked. What's the % in your school ?
If you are asking me, believe it or not, about 50% were daily smokers ... more boys than girls. A good number of the rest at least tried it once. Even in junior high school (which was grades 7-9; high school was 10-12) I think at least anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 were already smoking, of course there were more in 9th grade than in 7th and 8th, so having 9th grade in the junior high would have skewed the percentage higher there than junior high schools in neighboring towns. I also think that the percentage was probably just as high in the Catholic high schools (there were two at the time--my brother-in-law went to one of them--now both are gone).

Of course there was an assortment of other brands besides the popular ones. I'm an example, at the start of my senior year I switched from Newport to Winston.

I think it might be harder to tell what the percentage of smokers in a high school is now. It certainly isn't as open now, enforcement of minimum purchase age is stricter (and higher) now, and out of necessity they would have to hide it better now. Although I think the figure is lower than when you went school, I suspect it is higher than what many people may think.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 12-16-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

I was asking anyone who cared to answer.

I think Connor would know the % of smokers in his school. The staff may not have a clue though.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

I was asking anyone who cared to answer.

I think Connor would know the % of smokers in his school. The staff may not have a clue though.
He already told me in a PM. He's in a better position to know because his school is a boarding school. If it were not, it might be harder for even him to tell.

I looked up the PM. He said "20% are daily smokers and 20% are social smokers." He also said maybe half of the juniors and seniors have tried smoking. He admitted there could be a few that he doesn't know about, but that it would be pretty hard to hide it too much from the other smokers. The school is all-male, that might skew the percentage a little higher.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

There are moments where I want to ship my kid off to boarding school. Lol
Old 12-16-2015, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

There are moments where I want to ship my kid off to boarding school. Lol
Not a military academy?