Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » Teenage Guys on Why We Smoke

Teenage Guys on Why We Smoke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2015, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

I'm actually thinking Connor may be the most mature, he did take the initiative here after all, showing he's thoughtful, ... if we can include him. But I agree with Ohio about #2 and #5 (once you deconstruct the profanity). I would have put #4's first answer almost on par with #2 and #5, until he mentioned his brother's influence. I'd say that for #1 and especially #3 it's mostly rebellion. Just being one of the gang may be what's motivating #7, maybe that's why he doesn't want to think about it.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 12-05-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
I'm actually thinking Connor may be the most mature, he did take the initiative here after all, showing he's thoughtful, ... if we can include him. But I agree with Ohio about #2 and #5 (once you deconstruct the profanity). I would have put #4's first answer almost on par with #2 and #5, until he mentioned his brother's influence. I'd say that for #1 and especially #3 its mostly rebellion. Just being one of the gang may be what's motivating #7, maybe that's why he doesn't want to think about it.
You're right, Connor would be the most mature... It didn't even dawn on me to include him. Oops. Sorry Connor
Old 12-05-2015, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

I forgot about #6 ... I agree with Kyle, he seems to be a follower. #2 smokes, so he starts smoking. He's like #7, just being one of the gang, doesn't want to be doing it alone. But he appears to enjoy smoking.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 12-06-2015 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

I think #7 smokes because he thinks he has to in order to be part of the group

I'm still thinking about #6's answer. Hey Connor , can you get him to elaborate ?

It's funny how much info you can rip out of one comment
Old 12-06-2015, 12:09 AM

teen_smoker will become famous soon enough

Sorry for the delay guys!

I would definitely say #2 is the most mature. He's the oldest, been smoking the longest, probably smokes the most, and gave me my first cigarette. #5 is my best friend, that was mostly a joke response because we've talked the most about this in real life. #6 is our class valedictorian, I think he was just trying to be logical. #7 is probably the nicest person I know. I think "guilty pleasure" may be right. He likes to go along with what people are doing. #4 was trying to pick a fight, good naturedly but that's what he does. And #3 is absolutely rebelling. His parents are the two strictest people I've ever met!

I'm not sure where I fit in. I think I think the most about it, and I think I'm pretty comfortable with my identity as someone who smokes because I want to, but I'm still figuring out where I'm going with smoking. Not sure if that makes me more of less mature.

Also sorry again for the profanity. Don't judge any of them against the others for that. It's an all guys high school, all 8 of us (and everyone else) pretty much swear all day.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

Profanity is part of growing up. My son is 12 and you should see some of his texts. I didn't read his texts btw, he has sent some to me by accident. Crazy
Old 12-06-2015, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Your comments on who these guys are is enlightening. So we're on target about #2, #3, probably #5, and #7. But you have especially shed some light on #6, we might have to take another look at his answer and see if the added information helps us to make more sense out of it.

Do you think #4's second answer wasn't really serious ... it was just that he enjoys good-naturedly picking fights? There definitely was a disconnect between his first and second responses.

About #3, now his answers are understandable ... he's bristling from his parents' excessive control. His parents are going to be in for some future surprise. I fear it may not go well. Though my mother was strict, yet she handled it far better than I expected.

What's the story about #1?

When I was that age, I never used profanity. I still don't, but for rare occasions -- and it was absolutely unacceptable in my family. About the others in my school, there was some swearing, but not like today. Let me give you guys a word of caution, though. The thing that makes the most memorable first impression, after your appearance, is how you speak. If profanity becomes so habitual that it becomes part of your everyday speech, you may not be able to restrain it when you need to, it'll be second nature and you may not even fully realize what you're doing.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 12-11-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mask is definitely right about the profanity at a later age. I never, ever swear at work, or when around people I don't know. First impressions are of the utmost importance, and some people can be offended easily. you may find yourself infront of them at a job interview one day. Fwiw
Old 12-06-2015, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

Back to #6. If you think he was just trying to be logical, does that mean you also think female smokers are desperate, and somehow a lower class of person?
Old 12-06-2015, 12:41 AM

teen_smoker will become famous soon enough

Ohio I think you're right about #7. Re #6's desparate comment, he means he thinks girls smoke to get attention from guys or because they are going through emotional "crises," but guys are more level-headed about it.

#4 definitely wasn't that serious about his brother, he started after 2 and a lot of the rest of them did. That was mostly to pick a fight with 6 because they're polar opposites, 6 is logical and 4 is really....thoughtful? I'm missing the word. The first half of what 4 said is how he usually talks.

#1 is a lot of fun. Kind of a life of the party type I guess? Smoking-wise I don't think he thinks that seriously about it.

Also re: profanity I totally get it. I have two modes: I don't think I've ever sworn in front of my parents but I talk like a fucking sailor around guys my age. Blame it on peer pressure or whatever you want to call it, everyone in high school just swears all day as soon as the adults leave the room.

Also on slang, cigarettes are usually squares but also nails, darts, stogies, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Packs are just packs, or "the goods." Going out for a smoke is getting some fresh air, exercising your lungs, or taking 10. Speaking of which I'm gonna go do all of the above with #2 and #6 (not using their real names is getting confusing).