Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starter brand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2015, 11:06 PM

teen_smoker will become famous soon enough
Default Starter brand

I'm new to smoking. What kinds of cigarettes should I try out?
Old 12-01-2015, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

It's really a matter of personal taste, so I don't know how helpful advice might be. Most new smokers will try out a lot of different brands and eventually settle into a brand, or a few brands, that suit them best.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:12 PM

well what does your personal taste tell you then?
Old 12-01-2015, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Pick a full-flavor "regular," such as Marlboro Reds, a light "regular," such as Marlboro Golds, a full-flavor menthol, such as Newport Green, and light "menthol," such as Newport Smooth Select, and maybe, as something different from the rest, an English-style brand, such as Benson & Hedges. You might also want to try one or more of these in a 100s as well. That would give you a sampling of the basic types for you to compare.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:21 PM

I've only had Marlboro Golds and Parliaments (not sure what kind those are). In your experience is one kind easier to get used to smoking than the others?
Old 12-01-2015, 11:26 PM

Marbs4ever will become famous soon enough

Try Marlboro Reds. They may not be the easiest to start with but after a couple packs, you'll be able to smoke anything.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:28 PM

Cool. I've heard those are pretty much the gold standard of cigs but I've been afraid to try them because I've also heard they're harsh. I might pick up a pack tomorrow. What cigs did you start with?
Old 12-01-2015, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

You've already tried "light" brands (I'm assuming the Parliaments you had were Parliament Lights, as FF Parliaments are hard to find). So you might as well give full-flavors and menthols a try. Actually, in my opinion, menthols are easier to start on.

Back when I started smoking, in the 1970's, almost everybody started on full-flavor cigarettes like Marlboro Reds. If we could handle it then, and cigarettes were "stronger" then than they are now, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to handle it today. It might just take a little getting used to

P.S. My first cigarette was a full-flavor Salem in 1978.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 12-01-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:43 PM

Marbs4ever will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by teen_smoker View Post
Cool. I've heard those are pretty much the gold standard of cigs but I've been afraid to try them because I've also heard they're harsh. I might pick up a pack tomorrow. What cigs did you start with?
I started off with Marb Reds at 12. Didn't really inhale until 13 though.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
You've already tried "light" brands (I'm assuming the Parliaments you had were Parliament Lights, as FF Parliaments are hard to find). So you might as well give full-flavors and menthols a try. Actually, in my opinion, menthols are easier to start on.

Back when I started smoking, in the 1970's, almost everybody started on full-flavor cigarettes like Marlboro Reds. If we could handle it then, and cigarettes were "stronger" then than they are now, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to handle it today. It might just take a little getting used to

P.S. My first cigarette was a full-flavor Salem in 1978.
Well than damn right I can handle it today! Thanks for the motivation guys

Also at least at my school menthols are considered more of a girl's cigarette and guys tend to smoke regular Marlboros or Camels. So I've avoided menthols so far. Do most people consider menthols more feminine and regulars more masculine?