Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starter brand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2015, 06:50 PM

docmarlboro will become famous soon enough

I'd go straight for Marlboro reds. Camel filters are decent but camel wides are good too. Something different, smooth and kind of cool.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:49 PM

teen_smoker will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the advice everyone!!!!

I took the suggestion from marbs4ever, masklofumanto and other people and tried a Red today. It was pretty amazing! Have been smoking for a little while now but I got a different rush from the Red than I was used to. Almost like having the shakes if that makes sense. Not the same as the buzz I got when I first started smoking. I liked the taste too, a lot more flavor than anything I've had before.

I have almost a full pack of Marlboro Golds left so I'm going to smoke those before I buy another pack, and I think I'm going to keep exploring a little bit but Reds are definitely a possibility for me.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
When I was in school, most everybody smoked Marlboro or camel. I can't think of anyone that smoked 100's... Back then, old people smoked them. There were a few girls that smoked the little skinny smokes, and 95% of the menthol smokers were African American.

Mask, around here, most people call kind size cigarettes "shorts" Maybe it's a regional thing like "pop" and "soda"
Ohio it's the same way now. Almost everyone is either Marlboro or Camel. Not all menthol smokers are black though, I know quite a few white kids who smoke menthols. And by shorts I meant 72s.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by teen_smoker View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone!!!!

I took the suggestion from marbs4ever, masklofumanto and other people and tried a Red today. It was pretty amazing! Have been smoking for a little while now but I got a different rush from the Red than I was used to. Almost like having the shakes if that makes sense. Not the same as the buzz I got when I first started smoking.
That's the higher nicotine yield. You'll adapt pretty soon, probably before you've even finished the first pack.

I liked the taste too, a lot more flavor than anything I've had before.
Well, full-flavor cigarettes are called full flavor for a reason. There's a reason why many of us can't stand "light" cigarettes and won't smoke them. Unless we're desperate for smoke and that's all that's available.

I have almost a full pack of Marlboro Golds left so I'm going to smoke those before I buy another pack, and I think I'm going to keep exploring a little bit but Reds are definitely a possibility for me.
Have fun experimenting. Marlboro Reds may well be the ones for you, or you might find something else you like better. When I switched from smoking Newports to "regular" (non-menthol) cigarettes when I was about 17, the first ones I tried were Marlboro Reds. But after maybe a month I settled into full-flavor Winstons as my primary brand. I could have stuck with Marlboro, I liked it well enough, but found I liked Winston better.

Just noticed your reply to Ohio: when Ohio and I (and I'm nine years older than "Ohio") were young, I don't think that 72s existed. Speaking for myself, I thought that by "shorts" you meant "king-size" (84 mm.)

Last edited by masklofumanto; 12-02-2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

Dug around a bit... Marlboro 72's came about in 1991

They aren't really that much shorter than kings ( shorts around here ). The filter is shorter, and if you line up where the tobacco starts, you'll notice about a 2mm difference. The problem is remembering to smoke them down further
Old 12-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

You know, there are now so many styles of Marlboro that you need a score card to keep them all straight. When I started smoking, Marlboros came in Full-Flavor Kings ("Reds"), Full-Flavor 100s (called "Longhorns," and the pack was gold-and-white, not red-and-white), and Marlboro Lights (launched in 1972, but I don't remember them starting to catch on until around 1980 or so). I remember Marlboro Mediums coming out later ... I just found a New York Times article about it, it was 1991. Somehow I missed noticing the 72s, not that I would have been looking.

I was surprised to learn, while I was doing a little searching, that Marlboro Menthol came out in 1966! Nobody smoked those when I was young, at least not that I remember. Newport was the overwhelmingly favorite of menthol smokers, with Salem a distant second. Kool didn't seem to be too popular, maybe it was more of an "inner city" brand.

Later: I was just reading an article on menthol brands, published in the Sept. 2008 issue of the American Journal of Public Health. Until 2000, when Marlboro Menthol Milds was introducted, Marlboro Menthol's market share was under 2%. This explains why nobody smoked them when I was young--menthol smokers were smoking the three major menthol brands of Newport, Salem, and Kool. And Kool skewed to older smokers (and mainly African-American), which explains why I never saw anyone in my school smoking them.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 12-05-2015 at 12:10 PM. Reason: updated information
Old 12-02-2015, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

Take a look at all the Marlboro smokes that aren't available here in the USA. Marlboro surely has their hands full
Old 12-02-2015, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

It's exploiting the power of a now "iconic" brand name ... and pack design (logo). This probably also explains why so many once popular brands are either being discontinued or becoming hard to find. Retailers have only so much shelf space. I'd rather have greater availability of historic brands than so many bewildering varieties of Marlboro.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 12-02-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

You can't blame them for capitalizing on gimmicks. Whatever keeps the lights on
Old 12-02-2015, 09:52 PM

Mask I had never heard the term king-sized before but I googled and and people my age just call those regulars (or nothing at all really, unless you say 100 or 72 that's the size people assume a cig is)