Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » How Old Should Someone Be To Smoke At Home?

How Old Should Someone Be To Smoke At Home?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2015, 11:22 AM

juanarg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How Old Should Someone Be To Smoke At Home?

This question is only for smoking at home - not in public. My state will not allow cigarette sales to anyone under 18, but there is no law against actually smoking under 18. Parents' opinions differ greatly on this subject.

I started smoking when I was 13, and my Mom allowed me to smoke only in the home after she found out when I was 15. Both my boys are proud smokers. One started smoking at age 14 and the other at 12. Once I discovered that they had started and were addicted I allowed in-home smoking for both of them.

As for buying the cigarettes, I did for them as my Mom had done for me - she bought and paid for mine until I could get a job to pay for them myself. I felt this was the best way to keep them from sneaking around and possibly getting in with the wrong crowd. Both my boys have grown into well-adjusted and successful men who still love to smoke. Both have married lovely ladies who also smoke.

How about you? What do you think?
Old 09-29-2015, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

I started smoking around 13. After I got caught by my parents a while later, they reluctantly let me smoke. However, they refused to buy them for me or my brother. Their thinking was if I was old enough to smoke, I was old enough to pay for them. Not that big of a deal because I've worked since I was 12.

I'm not sure how I would react if my son started smoking. I would guess that I would be ok with it. I also guessing that I wouldn't buy them for him with my money either. But then again, I'm a big push-over when it comes to him. it's possible I wouldn't make him spend his allowance on smokes.

In all honesty, I hope he never starts
Old 09-29-2015, 07:54 PM

Marbs4ever is on a distinguished road

Well, parent's opinions will vary greatly on this topic relative to their own experiences. Smoking parents will likely be much more understanding of a teen smoker than nonsmoking parents will. I would expect nonsmoking parents probably would not want their "underage" kids smoking at home. While smoking parents would probably accept the fact that their underage kids smoke at some point prior to them being of legal age to buy their own cigs. Smoking parents (like my own) will often at first ignore or pretend not to notice that their kids are smoking until they feel they're an "acceptable" age.

In my case, I started sneaking them at 12 and mom certainly knew at some point when I was 13, since by then, I was smoking in the house regularly. I'm pretty sure mom started around 12 herself. But she ignored my "secret" smoking at home for well over a year.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
In all honesty, I hope he never starts
Does that mean you also wish YOU had never started?
Old 09-30-2015, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

Originally Posted by juanarg View Post
Does that mean you also wish YOU had never started?
At times, yes. I enjoy smoking, but not the coughing and hacking that goes along with it.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:36 AM

Default Your Picture

If that's actually a photo of you, then you are way too young to be hacking and coughing. I guess it's not really you, right? That's wise to remain anonymous. The closer I look at it, could it be a shot of that boy you're such a pushover for?

That's too bad about your hacking because it can be soooo enjoyable. I absolutely love it. Yeah, I do have the occasional cough, but it's not bad and, for me, it's well worth it.

Last edited by juanarg; 09-30-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

No.... That is most definitely not me. That's a pic of my son @ 11 years old. If he had brown hair and eyes, he would look exactly as I do. Except for that we are basically twins.

I've smoked for right around 30 years. Around here, they call it "smoker's hack"... Mostly affects me in the morning hours. That's life I guess. I've given up all my other vices, except for a stray beer here and there, so I think I'm doing pretty well.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:09 AM

Jim is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say they should be able to earn the money for their fags and be discreet and well-matured enough to own their action as smoking is an adult pleasure and not a child's game-play. Though many of the present smokers have started young, it isn't necessary that the youth of today should also start young. I became a regular smoker at 18 and I don't regret that decision at all.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:54 AM

fumadan is an unknown quantity at this point

When I caught my son Mike smoking he was 14 and clearly loved his smoking, as a young starter myself I knew there would be no way to get him to quit so I gave him permission to smoke at home. It wasn't long before my oldest son, Rob, who was 16 at the time started smoking at home as well. My daughter just started smoking last year and at 17 she also smoked at home from the beginning. As both my wife and I have always smoked around our children, we were not surprised all three started smoking as well.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:07 AM

redjohn is on a distinguished road

My son was 17 when he told me he smoked which was fine by me so I let him smoke at home right away.