Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > General Smokers Discussion » how did you feel when a younger sibling started smoking too

how did you feel when a younger sibling started smoking too

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2015, 02:32 PM

nicotine is on a distinguished road
Default how did you feel when a younger sibling started smoking too

Hi guys,

I have been a smoker for close to 5 years now, smoke about a pack of Marb Lights a day and love my addiction. Nothing beats the feeling of drawing in a lungfull of smoke. My parents found out I had started smoking when I was a senior in highschool and grudgingly accepted it.
I was home for te summer and one night my youngest brother, 17, came up to me and asked if I had a spare pack of cigarettes for him. Turns out he has been smoking for close to a year now. It took me by surprise as he is a mega jockand the last person Iwould expect to be smoking. Of course I gave him a pack and as he lit up it was clear to me that he really was a smoker.
It felt great smoking with him and some how I was pleased that he smokes.
How did you all feel when yor younger siblings started smoking.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:54 PM

Marbs4ever will become famous soon enough

I have a half brother who is about 12 1/2 years younger than me. He's my dad's kid and did not live with me growing up. One night when he was about 13 1/2 we were out together and I saw him sneak off with some friends and smoke a cig. Having started off sneaking them just before I was 12 myself, I wasn't really surprised.

Later, on the way home in my truck, I lit 1 up and asked him how long he'd been smoking. He just kind of smiled and said a while. I was like yeah, thought so. So, after a few seconds he asked if he could smoke in my truck. Which really meant, can I smoke in front of you? Of course I told him to go ahead. So, he took out his pack and lit 1 up with me. He took a couple good drags to show that he was really a smoker. He admitted he'd been sneaking them for over a year, mostly stealing Marb lights from our dad and his mom. (They didn't know he smoked yet but it wouldn't be long.) He said he'd been smoking daily for a while and really enjoyed it, which was clear from the way he smoked.

He asked me to get him a pack before I dropped him home, which of course, I did. We each smoked another and I dropped him home. After that he would smoke freely with me whenever I saw him. He would of course bum some of my Reds and after only a couple weeks announced that he was switching to my brand because they were better. I'd buy him a pack whenever he asked and he almost always paid for them himself.

For his 14th birthday I got him his first carton and me and a couple of my friends took him to Hooters where we sat in the smoking section. He smoked freely with us and some of the waitresses thought he was cute.

I guess I was the first adult to respect his right to smoke. Of course having been a smoker myself since 12, it wasn't really a big deal to me. We both continue to enjoy our habits and I'm glad I was there to support him.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:43 AM

londonlad is on a distinguished road

I have two younger brothers, twins, and they started smoking when I was 17, they were 14 at the time, and I was their main source of cigarettes for a time.
That they started smoking was something I had expected as we are a family of smokers. My sister, the youngest of the family started smoking when she was 15 but at the time I wasn't living at home anymore and when I came home for Christmas she had already been smoking openly for some time. As with me brothers I wasn't surprised.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by londonlad View Post
I have two younger brothers, twins, and they started smoking when I was 17, they were 14 at the time, and I was their main source of cigarettes for a time.
That they started smoking was something I had expected as we are a family of smokers. My sister, the youngest of the family started smoking when she was 15 but at the time I wasn't living at home anymore and when I came home for Christmas she had already been smoking openly for some time. As with me brothers I wasn't surprised.
Yeah when you come from a smoking family everyone expects you will smoke sooner or later anyway. When both your parents smoke it's almost like you're pre-approved to start whenever you're ready to.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:13 AM

lamberts uk is an unknown quantity at this point

I have one younger brother,two years younger.He and I were not real close growing up due to different interests and friend groups.I first saw him smoking at 13/14 but it turns out he started the same time as me so he would have been 11/12 at the time.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:07 PM
Entry Member

ltalljohn is on a distinguished road

I started smoking at 14, both of my parents are smokers and I was curious how they could do something that to me seemed pretty gross. I was surprised how much I liked my first cigarette and kept on borrowing my dad's Marlboro Lights and pretty quickly was a regular smoker myself. By the time I was 16, my dad had figured out I had been taking his cigarettes and when he confronted me I fessed up and although he was not impressed by my new habit I got permission to smoke at home but had to pay him for my packs now.
When my 13 year old brother saw me smoking as well he asked me why I had started and I told him the truth, I also told him that smoking was really fun and very enjoyable. It wasn't long before he asked me if he could try himself and I happily introduced him to smoking. For a while it was our shared secret, he would come to my room to smoke and soon was a full time smoker as well.
When he was 15 my parents found out and he also got permission to smoke at home.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:54 AM
Entry Member

eavisuneliquids is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't sibling but when i see young people smoking, by young i mean under 18, my blood is burning. Iam smoiking analogs and vaping, and I know how analogs can ruin health :P I'm always want to go and smash this kids in their face, but I know it wont help them ;p IMO its terrible that young people smoking ;/
Old 09-08-2015, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by ltalljohn View Post
I started smoking at 14, both of my parents are smokers and I was curious how they could do something that to me seemed pretty gross. I was surprised how much I liked my first cigarette and kept on borrowing my dad's Marlboro Lights and pretty quickly was a regular smoker myself. By the time I was 16, my dad had figured out I had been taking his cigarettes and when he confronted me I fessed up and although he was not impressed by my new habit I got permission to smoke at home but had to pay him for my packs now.
When my 13 year old brother saw me smoking as well he asked me why I had started and I told him the truth, I also told him that smoking was really fun and very enjoyable. It wasn't long before he asked me if he could try himself and I happily introduced him to smoking. For a while it was our shared secret, he would come to my room to smoke and soon was a full time smoker as well.
When he was 15 my parents found out and he also got permission to smoke at home.
Defintely makes it easier when you have smoking parents and an older sibbling to pave the way. I wasn't at all surprised when I found out my 13 year old brother was following the family tradition.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:51 AM

cigs4andrew is on a distinguished road

I have been a smoker since I was 17, started by smoking when on nights out with my friends and soon there after smoking during the week as well. I have been smoking openly at home since I was 19 when my dad, a smoker, told me he knew I smoked and couldn't care less. My younger brother 15 at the time thought I was crazy to be smoking. He would never be fool enough to start.
My brother joined the Royal Marines when he was 18 and when I met up with him on one of his weekends off about a year later he suprised me by being a smoker now. It feels good to have a smoking sibling, it clearly has strenghtened our bond.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:37 PM

kyle93 is on a distinguished road

This thread is relevant for me as I learned when I was home for Thanksgiving that my sister had started smoking. I also have two brothers who are smokers, and I feel a little differently about each of the three of them.

As I have mentioned in earlier posts I have an identical twin brother. He started smoking around the same time I did when we were 17. We were certainly unspoken influences on each other--I don't think I would have started if he had adamantly been against smoking, and vice versa--but I think we were both rebelling for different reasons. His habit has pretty much paralleled mine from the start and I don't really separate his from mine all that much, so I don't have particularly strong feelings about him either way.

My other brother is 20 years old and started about a year after I did, right around the time I was going away to college. I feel the most guilt about him because my twin and I have always been huge influences on him--he always tried to copy us growing up and smoking was probably an extension of that. But aside from that and the obvious health concerns, it's been a good thing. It's made me see him more as an adult and it's given us something in common. We'll text each other when we take a smoke break and whenever we get together we'll grab a pack and kill it over a few beers.

I don't feel any guilt about my sister because I know I didn't influence her--I haven't even seen her that much the last couple years. I felt more surprised than anything else because she was very anti-smoking back when I lived at home and unlike the 3 of us she never smoked in high school, but I guess freshman year in college is when a lot of people start. I guess I'm still unsure how I feel about it because I haven't known for very long, but I have a much harder time picturing her as a pack-a-day smoker than my brothers (probably a combination of youth, gender, and her previous aversion to it). She claims to be a social smoker, but I'd call her more of a light smoker because she smoked every day while I was at home.

It was kinda fun and kinda awkward at the same time to have a smoke session with all 4 of us for the first time--I think each of us was a little embarrassed but also found it pretty cool. We all had our own reasons for starting and for still smoking, but at least this year, all of us smoke. We'll see where it goes from there.